Malkoff        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Md2 vs Mdc

Default Md2 vs Mdc

Dear my Malkoff junkie brothers,

here is my dilemma,

im looking at a 2x123/18650/16650 malkoff and currently looking at a standard m61 md2 or building a 16650 mdc body with a m61 and vme head

both can/have

change heads
    dropins
    battery type
    hosts
    mcclicky switch

the md2 can add or remove a pocket clip without leaving holes in the body,
    also the tailcap can be changed and modes can be added/taken off via the high low switch vs the mdc would have to have a mod with the modes installed ex.lmh

the mdc has the tailcap and switch attached to the body which isnt a big deal to me

neither is the 18650 vs 16650 both serve me well and the light will most likely be a outsidish tke the trash out, walk the dog type light.

price is fairly close to the same but i know what i am getting when purchasing either way.

we basicly are buying genes foreverness and on the side get a great product.

i love gene and cathy and love the company as well . the plus side is the fantastic lights the make.

so from whats stated above it looks like the md2 is the way to go being its more versitile on the nitty gritty

but why am i still sitting here considering this? help me out

thanks
    wicky
    ..nothing changes nothing...

Default Re: Md2 vs Mdc

Well the MD2 is much more flexible. More options for output/tints etc. itís bigger then the MDC but far as Iím concerned that the only negative against it. If thatís what it can be called.As you know there both fantastic lights with same build quality. But the MD2 gives you much more options.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Output I can understand but how tints when the vme can fit the 61s just like the md2

TG, heís talking about a VME head with a M61.

Okay, from my thought process, the one thing you would sacrifice going with the MDC body VME head route is the high/low ring. What you trade is that the MD2 can also use MD3 and MD4 bodies. The VME head can go on all the MDC bodies, letting you use 16650, 16340, as well as AA and 2xAA.
    What you gain is a more compact light all the way from head to tail. Smaller diameter lights really are easier to carry, in my experience...
    Itís all LEGO style. Really, thereís nothing stopping you from eventually owning both and being able to run drop ins in both body/head combos.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Well the MD2 is much more flexible. More options for output/tints etc. itís bigger then the MDC but far as Iím concerned that the only negative against it. If thatís what it can be called.As you know there both fantastic lights with same build quality. But the MD2 gives you much more options.
    I would agree with this, size and Hi/Lo ring will be the main differences. You could always use an M361 in a VME on the MDC body.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

! Yikes you are correct. I thought you were just taking about the mdc heads that are currently available. If you throw VME into the picture itís a wash. Other then one can take 18650 and one canít. Well canít put a hi/lo on the mdc so thatís a negative. Hell,, get both. Lol
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I think i know I'll eventually get both, but I guess I try and justify a reason/duty for the light before I order one lol

I guess it's just which I should get first really lol

The ability to use a hi/lo ring on the MD2 would be the deciding factor for me. I love that feature as you can go full bore or really low to save your eyes and batteries.Ya you can use the M361 in a vme but I have never found this as convenient.

CPF's most common advice: Just buy both.

That's what I did. I have my first MD2 & 16650 body in the mail right now(already have several VME's and other "E" heads & bodies).

Really, someone just needs to make a high/low E-Series tailcap that works like Elzetta's and we no longer need to make this decision. I'm going to try and convince Mark from Lumens Factory as no one seems interested in trying to make one(it's weird too as I think this would sell very well and many people have expressed a desire for one over the years). If I had a metal lathe I would try and make a prototype. Ideally, it would have resistor modules too so you could quickly change the resistor to adjust your low output. It would likely have to be slightly longer to accommodate but, well worth the trade off imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

The ability to use a hi/lo ring on the MD2 would be the deciding factor for me. I love that feature as you can go full bore or really low to save your eyes and batteries.Ya you can use the M361 in a vme but I have never found this as convenient.
    TG I think this is the main factor in my decision as well, as it will probably result in me ordering the md2 (first) lol

I also love the way the md2 looks overall, it's so simple looking yet elligant? Idk it's the simplicity that gets me the fact that to any Joe bloe off the street it's looks like a normalish light but when turned on.. BAM!

+1 on the M361 not being my favorite route for mode choosing.

The pocket clip on the MDC tube is nature's perfect clipping machine. I'm not a big fan of pocket clips in general. In fact, I actively distrust them. However, that VME headed 16650 clipped into your jeans pocket isn't going anywhere. Great stuff. As others have said, you sacrifice the high/low ring for the sleek, pocket friendly form factor. This may or may not be an issue depending on your use case.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Your right on that clip MF. Itís the most secure setup of all my clipped light. You could do jumping jacks And that clip will hold tight. Of course Iíd probably break a hip if I tested that theory

Just read what I posted. I might not want to abbreviate your user name anymore Sorry 😐

Your right on that clip MF. Itís the most secure setup of all my clipped light. You could do jumping jacks And that clip will hold tight. Of course Iíd probably break a hip if I tested that theory

Just read what I posted. I might not want to abbreviate your user name anymore Sorry
    I always abbreviate his name too lol. Don't worry, that MF has thick skin.

Lmao. Iím pretty sure I have done it before as well. First time it has dawned on me is all 😂

All is well, gents. I'm one cool MF.

Edit: Whenever someone abbreviates my screen name, I hear Samuel L Jackson somewhere in the background.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 01-01-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

always good when you got a good MF in your thread

probably going to order my md2 sometime tonight, i just have to find me 20% off coupon! lol

pocketability isnt that being of a deal i was just mentioning the pocket clips though i do love my mdc clips

A real junkie would surely buy both flashlights because each one has its own unique characteristics.

The mdc flashlights is as its name suggests, a flashlight for everyday use.

compact, robust (like every malkoff product), modular but slightly more limited than the md2 flashlight.

Even with the use of vme head on an mdc host there are limitations.

I do not give up having a md2 because of numerous factors such as:

- be able to use high / low ring

- be able to use tailcap tricap

- be able to use head 22.3 (larger diameter generating more spill and throw)

- be able to use crenelated head

- Possibility of using different tailcaps, clips or combat rings to customize the flashlight to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    All is well, gents. I'm one cool MF.

Edit: Whenever someone abbreviate my screen name, I hear Samuel L Jackson somewhere in the background.
    Bahaha, thanks now I hear SLJ too lol.

I think you need a "Bad Modern Flame" Wallet.

MD2 if you are not concerned about compactness. Me personally..its MD2, MDC or nothing. M361 in VME is nice but M316 in MD2 with H/L is cats meow (or whatever words you want to use)

If you want a more compact light that slips in your pocket...MDC all the way. I don't like VME because of single mode, but others love single mode lights.

for my edc ill usually carry a light with multiple modes, because besides my keychain light i only carry one.

but for my specific use lights i love the single modes, i need a light for outside grab this light, need a light for that, grab this one and so on.

pocketability isnt a issue with what im wanting out of this light .

it will sit on top the icebox or next to the back door

the single mode will be easy for the kids and wife to just pick up and click for on click for off.

my boy always grabs my single mode lights becuase when he doesnt i usually have to grab it and get it to the brightness he needs .

I have taught my kids to use a rotary, it's their favorite... probably because it gives them more to play with (they are only 4&6 though)

I have a couple of old 4/7's my 4yr old daughter plays with when sh hasn't misplaced it. I think she taught herself kind of how to use it.

My 6yr old just got a super cheap plastic 1 mode light with a toy i think, my girl loves it. Just slide the switch, so i can understand how kids prefer single mode. My kids don't get to play with the malkoffs though.

They are still small enough, they could get by with something like the little old eveready lights. That's kind of what the little cheap plastic light looks like. Bad thing is i think its a throw away, i couldn't figure out how to get it apart to check the battery, almost broke it.

aha my kids are the same age, girl is 4 boy is 6.

my son usually grabs my g2z mv or my mdc m31w

Wicky, what battery tube are you running with the M31W?

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Wicky, what battery tube are you running with the M31W?

the shrouded 1xx123

sometime in the near future the 2xaa tho.

plan on moving the 123 body over to the edcl1t or a m31wl or ll in it instead

just finished reading about the amperage on the m31w with a 1xaa tube on another thread which i have , but never tried
    Last edited by wicky998; 01-01-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Not the best size but M31W on 2AA tube and you'll be much happier and might want to keep it and won't think you made a bad choice anymore.

Iím actually interested in getting both a 1xAA and a 2xAA body. The reason Iím interested in putting the M31W on a 1xAA body is because in a 2xAA the drop in is now rated at 300 lumens which is kind of excessive in a lot of situations and Iíd prefer something more like the 170 lumens Malkoff rates it at on 1xAA.

That's what's nice about m31 and MDC 2-3.2v heads, they can run both of those options.

What's it for?

That's the question I have trained myself to ask before hitting the Buy Now button. Same thing here - what is your intended use?

For an EDC light, the MDC series is hard to beat. One of my favorites is the Bodyguard v.2 head on a 1CR123 unshrouded body, which I drop into a front pants pocket;

The challenge with the MD2 light is that due to its size, it doesn't work that well just dropping it into a pants pocket. It can be carried clipped inside a pocket though, or even better carried on the belt in an appropriate light carrier.

This is a favorite, a MD2-M91B, which gets used daily for the early-morning and evening dog walks, shown here with my MD3-M91T;

This light is set up with a M91B drop-in, high/low bezel switch, a semi-shrouded clicky tailcap from a Surefire 6PX and runs on an Orbtronics IMR 18650 3500 mAh cell. On a freshly-charged cell it produces over 600 lumens with a slow, gradual decline in output to 3V at which point the light shuts off and protects the cell from over-discharge.

If Gene made a M91B-18650 head that gave full output on a single cell (like the Hound Dog 18650), it would be a huge seller.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    If Gene made a M91B-18650 head that gave full output on a single cell (like the Hound Dog 18650), it would be a huge seller.
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    That brings something up when I talked to Gene today. I can't remember exactly what he said but I think it's when I mentioned an 18650 M91BN. he said he wouldn't really want to do it because it would compete and/or take away from the regular version. Don't quote me on it as it's a faint memory. He did mention something about making 2 versions, one taking away from the other.

I can see his point of view. The hound dogs are different because of emitters.
    In this situation it would be the same emitter.

Agree. If he made a 91 that ran full power on a 18650 it would steal people away from the M61. Although You wouldnít get much for runtime with a 91 running full out off a single 18650. Iím kinda thinking that this might be the reason he hasnít listed all the details about the M91 on his site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast