Md2 vs Mdc

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear my Malkoff junkie brothers,

here is my dilemma,

im looking at a 2x123/18650/16650 malkoff and currently looking at a standard m61 md2 or building a 16650 mdc body with a m61 and vme head

both can/have

change heads
dropins
battery type
hosts
mcclicky switch

the md2 can add or remove a pocket clip without leaving holes in the body,
also the tailcap can be changed and modes can be added/taken off via the high low switch vs the mdc would have to have a mod with the modes installed ex.lmh

the mdc has the tailcap and switch attached to the body which isnt a big deal to me

neither is the 18650 vs 16650 both serve me well and the light will most likely be a outsidish tke the trash out, walk the dog type light.

price is fairly close to the same but i know what i am getting when purchasing either way.

we basicly are buying genes foreverness and on the side get a great product.

i love gene and cathy and love the company as well . the plus side is the fantastic lights the make.

so from whats stated above it looks like the md2 is the way to go being its more versitile on the nitty gritty

but why am i still sitting here considering this? help me out

thanks
wicky

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well the MD2 is much more flexible. More options for output/tints etc. it's bigger then the MDC but far as I'm concerned that the only negative against it. If that's what it can be called.As you know there both fantastic lights with same build quality. But the MD2 gives you much more options.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
TG, he's talking about a VME head with a M61.

Okay, from my thought process, the one thing you would sacrifice going with the MDC body VME head route is the high/low ring. What you trade is that the MD2 can also use MD3 and MD4 bodies. The VME head can go on all the MDC bodies, letting you use 16650, 16340, as well as AA and 2xAA.
What you gain is a more compact light all the way from head to tail. Smaller diameter lights really are easier to carry, in my experience...
It's all LEGO style. Really, there's nothing stopping you from eventually owning both and being able to run drop ins in both body/head combos.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the MD2 is much more flexible. More options for output/tints etc. it's bigger then the MDC but far as I'm concerned that the only negative against it. If that's what it can be called.As you know there both fantastic lights with same build quality. But the MD2 gives you much more options.

I would agree with this, size and Hi/Lo ring will be the main differences. You could always use an M361 in a VME on the MDC body.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
! Yikes you are correct. I thought you were just taking about the mdc heads that are currently available. If you throw VME into the picture it's a wash. Other then one can take 18650 and one can't. Well can't put a hi/lo on the mdc so that's a negative. Hell,, get both. Lol

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i know I'll eventually get both, but I guess I try and justify a reason/duty for the light before I order one lol

I guess it's just which I should get first really lol

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The ability to use a hi/lo ring on the MD2 would be the deciding factor for me. I love that feature as you can go full bore or really low to save your eyes and batteries.Ya you can use the M361 in a vme but I have never found this as convenient.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF's most common advice: Just buy both[emoji16].

That's what I did. I have my first MD2 & 16650 body in the mail right now(already have several VME's and other "E" heads & bodies).

Really, someone just needs to make a high/low E-Series tailcap that works like Elzetta's and we no longer need to make this decision. I'm going to try and convince Mark from Lumens Factory as no one seems interested in trying to make one(it's weird too as I think this would sell very well and many people have expressed a desire for one over the years). If I had a metal lathe I would try and make a prototype. Ideally, it would have resistor modules too so you could quickly change the resistor to adjust your low output. It would likely have to be slightly longer to accommodate but, well worth the trade off imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability to use a hi/lo ring on the MD2 would be the deciding factor for me. I love that feature as you can go full bore or really low to save your eyes and batteries.Ya you can use the M361 in a vme but I have never found this as convenient.

TG I think this is the main factor in my decision as well, as it will probably result in me ordering the md2 (first) lol

I also love the way the md2 looks overall, it's so simple looking yet elligant? Idk it's the simplicity that gets me the fact that to any Joe bloe off the street it's looks like a normalish light but when turned on.. BAM!:caution:

+1 on the M361 not being my favorite route for mode choosing.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pocket clip on the MDC tube is nature's perfect clipping machine. I'm not a big fan of pocket clips in general. In fact, I actively distrust them. However, that VME headed 16650 clipped into your jeans pocket isn't going anywhere. Great stuff. As others have said, you sacrifice the high/low ring for the sleek, pocket friendly form factor. This may or may not be an issue depending on your use case.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Your right on that clip MF. It's the most secure setup of all my clipped light. You could do jumping jacks And that clip will hold tight. Of course I'd probably break a hip if I tested that theory

Just read what I posted. I might not want to abbreviate your user name anymore Sorry 😐

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right on that clip MF. It's the most secure setup of all my clipped light. You could do jumping jacks And that clip will hold tight. Of course I'd probably break a hip if I tested that theory

Just read what I posted. I might not want to abbreviate your user name anymore Sorry [emoji52]

I always abbreviate his name too lol. Don't worry, that MF has thick skin[emoji23].

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lmao. I'm pretty sure I have done it before as well. First time it has dawned on me is all 😂

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
All is well, gents. I'm one cool MF. :cool:

Edit: Whenever someone abbreviates my screen name, I hear Samuel L Jackson somewhere in the background.

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
always good when you got a good MF in your thread :wave:

probably going to order my md2 sometime tonight, i just have to find me 20% off coupon! lol

pocketability isnt that being of a deal i was just mentioning the pocket clips though i do love my mdc clips

A real junkie would surely buy both flashlights because each one has its own unique characteristics.

The mdc flashlights is as its name suggests, a flashlight for everyday use.

compact, robust (like every malkoff product), modular but slightly more limited than the md2 flashlight.

Even with the use of vme head on an mdc host there are limitations.

I do not give up having a md2 because of numerous factors such as:

- be able to use high / low ring

- be able to use tailcap tricap

- be able to use head 22.3 (larger diameter generating more spill and throw)

- be able to use crenelated head

- Possibility of using different tailcaps, clips or combat rings to customize the flashlight to my liking.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2 if you are not concerned about compactness. Me personally..its MD2, MDC or nothing. M361 in VME is nice but M316 in MD2 with H/L is cats meow (or whatever words you want to use)

If you want a more compact light that slips in your pocket...MDC all the way. I don't like VME because of single mode, but others love single mode lights.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
for my edc ill usually carry a light with multiple modes, because besides my keychain light i only carry one.

but for my specific use lights i love the single modes, i need a light for outside grab this light, need a light for that, grab this one and so on.

pocketability isnt a issue with what im wanting out of this light .

it will sit on top the icebox or next to the back door

the single mode will be easy for the kids and wife to just pick up and click for on click for off.

my boy always grabs my single mode lights becuase when he doesnt i usually have to grab it and get it to the brightness he needs .