Malkoff Devices Weapon and Duty Illumination

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Junkies!

I have been thinking around this subject for a while and since I see INFRNL has had similar thoughts, I'm going to get this ball rolling!

Malkoff is my go-to trusted brand and if I had to bank my life on lights I own it would be Malkoff Devices- perhaps with a guest appearance by Surefire/ Elzetta hosts here and there.

Currently my only Malkoff WML is my MD2 M61HOT on my AR-15, just thrown on there in place of the Eagletac before it. My future plans for this are doing some sort of M951/ 952 WML with a Malkoff dropin, probably the M952 w/ M91T, but I'm not sure if a 1/2 cell setup would be superior. I see that there are multipile ways to adapt the M95x series of WML to accept Malkoff Dropins and some involve loosing more or less the entire front end of the Surefire host, so this makes me think that the M600 series with a Malkoff head is probably the better way to go.

I am no oper8or, the gun is purely for defensive purposes. It is a pinned 14.5" .223/5.56 AR-15 with 1.5-4x Vortex Viper scope. The M61HOT has a stellar beam pattern for rifle use, MD2 body means I can run 18650 when I just want to use it a lot, and 2xCR123s when I just need to store it and leave it. Next is what to do with my pistols.... Sig 226 and Glock 21......

Does anyone know if the M91T is the same as the M91B series of lights, as-in, voltage ranges and such? Perhaps it is worth an email to Gene.

What are you all running? What Malkoff Guardian have you chosen to ride along in your chariots of fire? Malkoff Guardian..... I like the sound of that......

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The M91T and M61HOT are essentially the same heads, just set up to run on differnet voltages. As you stated, they work fine as WMLs and can be removed and used as hand held lights. The M91B is a reflector design with a much more flood-like beam with much less throw than either of the T heads.

If you are going to keep a WML attached to the rifle at all times, I'd take a close look at the 2 CR123 Hyper Throw Head and run it on a SF scout body or an Arisaka clone. It will be smaller and lighter with more reach (35,000 lux).

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you tried changing the heads on the x300?

that may work

Edit: my fault I completely thought this was a different thread

Last edited:

pilo7448

Enlightened
Right now I run an Olight pl-2 Valkyrie with Xhp35 Hi @1200 lumens on my FN but I just bought an AR-15 I would love to put a Malkoff on her.
b37ad639f9bff61eba9eeb6ba66c635f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I run an Olight pl-2 Valkyrie with Xhp35 Hi @1200 lumens on my FN but I just bought an AR-15 I would love to put a Malkoff on her.
b37ad639f9bff61eba9eeb6ba66c635f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Md2 with a91T no hi low ring needed.

StagMoose

Enlightened
This thread seems like it hit a dead end, but it is of interest to me so I will add my experience.

the SF x300 series lights doesn't seem to have the ability to remove/ replace heads. I have not been successful with this anyway, as it seems the light would be destroyed in the process.

For long arms the mentioned M91/ M61 options work with a 1" flashlight mount. These can be a bit heavy.

I have found that the Malkoff E-series/ scout heads integrate well with the SF scout series of bodies/ tailcaps and aftermarket mounts. This makes them extremely modular and upgradeable when new parts come out. The scout series also can be much smaller and lighter particularly with the newer mounts from arisaka, Haley strategic, etc.

If there is someone who has successfully integrated the scout/ Malkoff scout series heads into the x300 series of lights, I would be very interested in hearing from them.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm finally getting around to officially setting up my home defense firearms with proper illumination. To be honest, looking at all the competition, Malkoff is really the only one actually offering what I really am looking for in a USA package I trust.

I went and bought a mint M962 WML kit and MDM4 and I plan on mounting an M91T (though also plan on playing with all the incan bulbs first, might leave one on for a while, they have pretty good punch!). I played back and forth between the M91b and I guess I can always drop that in, but the overall slightly more throwy profile of the M91T is the right balance between throw and area output, which the M91T isn't too bad at as it turns out.

So that will be on my 16" AR.

Next I need to replace the Eagtac G25C2 on my 870. I want to find an older Surefire M600 fore-end and drop an M61 in there. I think that's a decent route....

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The M91T is an excellent choice. At 750 lumens/19,000 candela it has a good blend of spill/throw for engagement distances out to 50 yards. Plus Malkoff stuff is bullet-proof so no worry about failure.

Here's mine mounted with a MD3 body mounted on a 1187P;

1187P-2.jpg

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my AR setup. Surefire M962 MDM4 with M91T. I think I'm good with the switch setup, though I might try to find an SR07 switch to have permanent/ momentary on/off. I love the amount of throw while not sacrificing too much output/ illumination spread. The Modlite figures are cute but I find higher value in continuous operation and overall runtime, plus multiple battery setup options and lithium primary is a must.

I also like that with the simple adapter I can easily throw an E2XT head on there if I want more punch or need a lighter 2-cell setup. (FWIW my foreend is next on the to-be-changed list)

iKnKZt2.jpg

Last edited: