Looking for a basic flashlight

sleestack

Newly Enlightened
I own a [FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]Skysted WF-502B CREE XM-L2 U2 U3 LED Single Mode 1200[/FONT]
[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]Love it, but it eats batteries.
Ive had trouble finding a good battery charging setup.

I think a USB flashlight might be better. Unless someone knows a good battery charging setup
that doesn't cost over 100

I want a flashlight that is small, quality, and On and OFF. Not five settings. Usb chargeable

Help :)
[/FONT]

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
With this amount of money you can buy a real light.
Try watching Fenix TK09 (2016 version) - turning on, off and switching levels from the rear button (3 levels only)
Or the Fenix PD35 TAC (which can be programmed to have only 3 levels controlled by the rear button)
For these two lights you have to buy a quality charger and batteries but the budget is enough.

If you want a USB light look at Fenix UC35 V2.0 (sold with battery)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've had a Nitecore Intellicharger i2 for a while now and it works as it should. Cost me less than $20. Or do you mean something NOT from China?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many options. What brightness/runtime and battery setup do you want?

Since you mentioned xml in your post might I suggest the jaxman m2? Simple two mode tail clicky and takes AA cells. Very nice build quality.

Keitho

Enlightened
"Eats batteries" is a symptom of a low-capacity cell, and/or a driver that takes a bunch of battery power and turns it into heat and light faster than you want it to. It isn't a symptom, necessarily, of a removable-cell light. I personally prefer removable cell lights because I can upgrade/replace the cell once it is worn out (that's probably the first item that will fail in any light), and the light itself is simpler/smaller/lighter. And, if I think I'll be using it for hours, I can bring as many cells as I want and have unlimited runtime.

I'd recommend a light with a driver and user interface that allows you to eat batteries at the rate that you want (that is, a passably-efficient driver circuit that allows you to select a brightness other than "face melting"). There are lots of options for <$100, but it might be worth considering something like the Lumintop FW3A. It is tiny compared to the light you have, and has an intuitive ramping interface out of the box. If you want 1-mode only, you can sit down with the light for a few minutes when you get it, and set it up to be a single-mode light at whatever level you want (from a high power "battery eating" mode down to a pretty low moonlight mode, or anything in between). The Emisar D4V2 is similar, but with a side button and different color and battery tube options.

Good luck!

Latest posts