Streamlight 4AA LED at Costco

soloco

Enlightened
I just picked up the Streamlight 4AA LED flashlight from Costco for $20. I think it's pretty awesome. Nice tail clicky switch and seems very durable with all those industrial class ratings. What does everyone think of this light? Was it a good deal for $20?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, it was.

the closest costco is about 25 miles from here.
i think i need to pay them a visit!!!

Bob

ianb

Enlightened
If only my nearest Costco wasn't 3500 miles away(that damn Atlantic!) I'd get a cart full. You have to shop around hard to find bargains like that here

Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

soloco

Enlightened
that said, anyone want me to pick some up for them? the costco package is gigantic, but i could open it first and just ship the light. shouldn't cost very much USPS.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all of the Costcos carry them. Believe it or not, they're still in the "test" stage. The stock number is # 752207.

redtrd

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up last week. Impressive for a 4AA LED light. Nice wide flood beam and clicky switch.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a Streamlight 4AA at Costco. I was really looking for the Dorcy Luxeon, but they don't carry it at this Costco.

My impressions of the Streamlight 4AA:

Construction: very good. Feels like a well made light. I'm not a fan of plastic flashlights, but this one actually feels solid. I really like the texture on the plastic, and the rubber on the muzzle. The switch works well and is easy to use.

Disapointments:

Beam quality. After so many raved about how bright, white, good beam quality, and well flooded their beams were on the 4AA, I expected the same. Mine has blue tint, doesn't flood as much as I hoped, and has severe lines and artifacts in the outside of the beam (the area out of the hotspot). The little AA Dorcy I picked up at Target has better beam quality than my Streamlight. This being just one sample, maybe I got a lemon.

For $20, its a good deal, provided the LEDs don't blow (see below).

I'm tempted to buy another Streamlight 4AA over the weekend to see.

One question though: is the 4AA having problems blowing LED bulbs out? I recall that some people were having problems of the LEDs blowing due to being overdriven? Did Streamlight fix this?

soloco

Enlightened
I was wondering about the 4AAs driving the LEDs as well. Is this light regulated or something? I gave it a shower test and at the end of my shower the head was pretty HOT!

Monolith

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
soloco said:
I was wondering about the 4AAs driving the LEDs as well. Is this light regulated or something? I gave it a shower test and at the end of my shower the head was pretty HOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

No regulation. Mine has a wide blue flood pattern that fills a room. Still my favorite when you just want to light up a room.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Streamlight 4AA led, but, . . .

After using my UK eLED 4AA, the UK really is a superior light.

For up close, flood work, the SL is the winner, but for general flashlight apps, the UK really is nice.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
soloco said:

[/ QUOTE ]

There appears to be resistors and/or step-down circuits. My 4AA has a visible circuit board when you take the lamp assembly out and look at it from the side.

I don't believe it has a regulator circuit though....

fivebyfive

Enlightened
The costco in San diego has them. I didn't buy mine at costco,but I can attest to the build quality and the light output. The light is well built, balanced and very durable. The head on my light doesn't get hot at all, even when I left it on for several days at a time. I left it on to see how much it would drain the batteries down to. This light isn't regulated, but on the newer versions there are resistors soldered to the board. I got mine about 6-9 months ago. It's great for up close work and when you need to conserve batteries (power outage).

E

Emilion

Yes, I agree that SL4AA LED is good for close work~ 1W LS is sometimes too bright. I hv my SL4AA for indoor usage and SF L5 for outdoors (using the Pilas 168S).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
None at mine, sigh. I would much prefer them to the V1 and V2 moonlights that is present at my Costco store.

SaratogaWay

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had much luck, the SL 4AA had dead batteries when I tried them. Oh well. Any typical, I didn't pick up any extra at the time. I wonder if Costco will carry the rest of the line, like they do Mag? Love to see the SL20 or even Stinger in there at a price better than at those internet dealers.

df377

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Do you happen to have the Costco's item number for the that flashlight? I went to the Costco near my home and the said the do not carry it. If i have the item number, perhalf, they can find the light for me.

Thanks