ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Bathroom-trip in the night" flashlight recommendation?

Default Re: "Bathroom-trip in the night" flashlight recommendation?

^ Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by tigman_tim View Post
    one more vote for the Pak-lite 4Ks. I use it with a 9V lithium battery....the whole package is super light weight!!!
    Just to add, a cheap red filter is the cellophane wrapping from a babybel.

A REAL man (or woman!) would use an IMALENT DX80!!

I use my Vinh modded Eagletac G25C2 - I'm sure it's not the best for your question but here are my reasons:

- It's the light I want next to my bed.
    - It has a superlow moonlight with his VN4 (?) driver: +/- .2 lumens. That's enough to get to the bathroom easily.
    - I leave it on during the night next to my bed. Standing on the crenulated bezel the .2 lumens becomes about .02 lumens. Enough to find in the pitch black. Not too much to bother me.
    - Leaving the light in all night in moonlight mode does not drain the battery much.
    - If I need more light, another press on the tail cap bumps me up to 6 lumens; a double tap takes me to 1000. (Based on my specific settings for the light.)
    - A smaller light would be harder to grab while groggy!

Switch is surprisingly easy to manipulate - right or left handed.

My personal favorite is the Reylight Ti LAN with a Nichia emitter. It has a pleasant tint, satisfying rear button and comes on at a sub lumen low and is a great quality piece. Mine has 10 tritium vials installed so it is easy to find on the nightstand.

Lately a Fenix E12 has been my "call of nature" light.
    John 3:16

I have a modded generic micro-light. Original used 2X 2016 batteries and had a bright white 10-20 Degree Beam LED...
    - Replaced the Led with a GREEN diffused Beam 120+ Degree one. And use a single 2032 battery. It gives plenty of light to get around the house at night.
    - It will also keep that same (or close to) light output for almost 4 days straight.
    - Eyes are most sensitive to green light, so they look brighter... But power is low, so they last a long time...
    - Good "emergency/backup" light that hides on keyring. (Just remember that colors will look "wrong", i.e. anything red will look black!)

Flashaholic

As an alternative, I like the motion activated floor lights by MR Beams, 4 AAA batteries, and I move them around as needed, on floor next to the wall. I take them on trips for hotel rooms or condo rentals. If using a flashlight, I like them small, AAA battery or smaller, like the Olight models, and on a neck lanyard so light up my feet while walking.

https://www.mrbeams.com/mr-beams-sti...d-lights-mb700

Flashaholic*

I have 2 lights I use and are very suitable for that:
    Olight S15 Baton and Thrunite TI4. Both have firefly modes with direct access(no need for red light) and a magnet in the tailcap which is good for attaching the light either on the radiator or the metal toilet cabinet.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 02-27-2020 at 03:00 AM.

a quick check of specs says the Reylight Lan has a sublumen level of 0.2 lumens

and the spec for olights is 0.5 lumens (which I have confirmed is pretty accurate)

I consider those to be useful moonlight levels, but brighter than necessary for full dark bathroom runs, where I prefer firefly levels

in the case of my personal needs for a bathroom light, I am using a light set to 0.02 lumens, because of ambient light from a streetlight outside my house. Lights I own that can provide firefly levels (less than 0.1 include
    Manker E02, RRT-01, V11r, V10r, Thrunite aaa

lights I have tested, that offer moonlight levels include Olight @0.5 and Astrolux S41 @0.1 lumens, HDS 0.07 previously, and now 0.02

The Ti4 claims a “firefly” of 0.3 lumens (I call that moonlight because it is less than 1 but more than .09)

lights that claim to have a moonlight level, but which are actually more than 1 lumen, include Tool aaa, Maratac aaa, Jetbeam Jet U. To me, these are very bright when I wake in full darkness. I have even seen some lights with 5 lumens lows, calling that level a “moonlight”..

I encourage people to name the actual lumen level they use for bathroom runs. My answer is 0.02 lumens. My Olights 0.5 level is way more than I need for that application, though it is fine for a lowlight level used in other situations.

Zebralight H502pr Photo Red AA Flood Headlamp

Left on lowest setting on bedside table... .003lm

Hooked on collar of nightshirt, heading for the bathroom... 1.0lm

The red led is really mild at those levels while sleepwalking.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123