Malkoff Want To Sells- too many on the Forum?

wweiss

Enlightened
Is it my imagination, or have there been a recent, large increase of used Malkoff sales on CPF? Seems so. Like a sell-off in the stock market, I wonder what this will do to the Malkoff market and sales of new units?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the thing, actually.
It's so easy to sell a pre owned Malkoff, that I'm sure a lot of people buy a couple of different ones knowing that they can get thier money back quickly on the one they like least.
i've done that a few times with HDSs, it doesn't mean that I don't like them, quite the reverse as it happens.
P

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
One guy actually just bought a bunch to test so the large sell that went down was just thinning out the herd. : )

wweiss

Enlightened
I'm with you both - I have Malkoff's that have duplicates, but I'm conflicted as to selling them. I just worry about Gene and what herd thinning does to his business.

wweiss

Enlightened
So hard to part with either an HDS or any Malkoff. They are perfect in their own use format. I do understand InFRL's wish to thin as he has done a huge service to this Forum and is, as he says, out of room.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Depends on if you consider Malkoffs to be tools, or to be collectibles, since these types of markets act differently. Supply and demand effects, of course, are the main driver of pricing.

However, it is important to realize that new items and used items are not identical (even if functionally that may seem so), and not all buyers are interested in both. Some buy new items only, some buy used items only, some buy either or both.

I think that most makers of durable high-end hobbyist gear would prefer, in general, to see a strong secondary market for their products.

Although I have no idea, my guess is that CPF members comprise a relatively small (yet significant) portion of total sales. Even "dozens" of CPF Malkoff sales threads would very likely have microscopic impact on his overall bottom line, I would think.

Last edited:

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I recently looked at a few sales threads and wondered why somebody would be selling multiple examples of a given light/body/head.

Then I thought about the learning curve I went through a few years ago (and did pretty much the same thing as those guys, buying multiple versions of various lights to play with).

I think I've just gotten older/wiser (!)/more miserly in my advancing years.... Buying another house in a new country (with a bad rep for power cuts) has reignited my interest/OCD.... Plus I now have a huge yard to light up 😃.

So suddenly I'm looking at the classifieds rather than buying a ton of toys. Old age is a terrible thing! 😄

wweiss

Enlightened
@archimedes - you have an interesting point there. I did not think a strong secondary market would be something welcome by a maker. Especially in the somewhat esoteric realm of high-end well-made flashlights.

I do see your point, however.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm with you both - I have Malkoff's that have duplicates, but I'm conflicted as to selling them. I just worry about Gene and what herd thinning does to his business.

Unless the light gets destroyed and needs replacing, any sale from a maker could potentially be the last for that customer, whether you keep the light and stop buying more or you sell it that guy and he doesn't buy any more. If you want to keep new sales strong you have to buy items and wear them out or keep finding Gene new customers. Most people don't have multiples of something like a specialized flashlight. While you have the item you aren't buying more, and when that guy buys it he stops buying more. But maybe you buy a different one to replace it, which is the same as if that guy bought new not used. I see it as a lateral move. The only way it hurts is if the market is so flooded with used items no one is buying the new ones. In this consumerist society that rarely seems to happen.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene sells a whole lot of product outside CPF. A lot of first responders and that sort carry Malkoff's gear. A few here and there in our WTS section probably puts them in the hands of folks reluctant to pull the trigger on full priced new stuff, which may end up with them adding additional product direct from Gene.

Hell, I never considered paying new price for an MDC with a VME and stainless bezel but by acquiring one second hand allowed me to see what all the fuss was about. In my case it did not lead to more purchased because I already had every light and emitter I wanted. But I'm still squashing the voices about a Bodyguard.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Plus, with tech (notably including LEDs) there is the automatic obsolescence factor.

As emitters progressively increase in efficiency, color rendering, etc, etc ... someone will want the latest and greatest.

If they can easily get most of their money out of a prior item, they may be that much more likely to buy new at full price, and moving more product downstream.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Enlightened
Some people buy second hand first, to find out if they like the product, then end up buying new if they like it.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You echoed! I bought my first malkoff second hand then purchased three or 4 or 20 different products from gene directly. Haha

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Malkoffs are just so easy to sell; you can be confident of the vibrant secondary market - it's an easy way to raise $$ for the next (Malkoff?) purchase.

scout24

Flashaholic
Slightly off topic, but I looked up my purchase history on the Malkoff website the other day while placing yet another order... Yikes! :)

LRJ88

Enlightened
As someone not from the US the secondary market is the best way to get one without paying almost as much for shipping and customs than the flashlight itself.

As an example, getting an MD2 with a high/low switch is $137, plus $55 shipping, plus $20-40 in customs and taxes on that, at most it lands at $227 for a flashlight while in the secondary market you can find people who can send it cheaper at a lower initial cost. Having a distributor of sorts in Europe could benefit Gene a bit and spread knowledge about the flashlights here as well.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As someone not from the US the secondary market is the best way to get one without paying almost as much for shipping and customs than the flashlight itself.

As an example, getting an MD2 with a high/low switch is $137, plus $55 shipping, plus $20-40 in customs and taxes on that, at most it lands at $227 for a flashlight while in the secondary market you can find people who can send it cheaper at a lower initial cost. Having a distributor of sorts in Europe could benefit Gene a bit and spread knowledge about the flashlights here as well.
From what I understand, international pkg insurance /and/ the related requisite shipping upgrade method, seems to be the dealbreaker as far as the cost that domestic businesses have to recoup on a sale ?

I have sold & shipped the occasional used flashlight part (including Malkoff dropins) to Europe etc, and the shipping is quite inexpensive - if it is shipped 'cheapest method' without insurance. Both buyer and seller are usually comfortable with the arrangement, as this is a pretty good community here. However, I'd expect that many of our businesses would be uncomfortable with the ad-hoc arrangements that our buyers & sellers do.

Last edited: