Saw this one light....

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
As i was shopping for my FIRST LED light at the local Sport Chalet, i came across this one LED light that didn't have a familiar name. Actually, i don't think there was a name...just a slogan or something. Anyway, it looked really sturdy and professional. They had one open in the display case and i got to try it.

It felt pretty damn sturdy AND was BRIGHT. It used 3 AA batteries and gave off light via SEVEN LEDs. I wish i knew who made the LEDs and a comprable light like a CC TREK 7 to compare it's intensity. I would have bought it right there on the spot cuz it was only 20 dollars. thats right 20! But i was skeptical and was wondering if i was wasting my money for it didn't even say how long it would run. If you are interested you might want to check out the Sport Chalet in your area to see if they have this item. Its a transparent black flashlight with a 7 LED array. I think its a light worth checking...7 LEDs for 20 bucks? sounds good to me. I'll buy one and i'll TRY to post the best description i can. Sorry there are no pics because i didn't even see a familiar logo, name, or info on the product.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, go for it, can`t beat that price...let us know what it`s like
wink.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay i got iT! This is my very FIRST led flashlight and i LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! hehe...so here is what it is like. I don't have any background on high quality lights or even led flashlights being this is my first one. So i'll give it my best shot...

Picked it up at a sporting goods store called Sport Chalet for 24.99. It is called "LED TORCH." and that's it. No big name or manufacturer label or detailed instructions. But it did have 6 LEDs and the demo looked plenty bright. I tested it at the store (under store lighting of course) against a demo "petzle 3 led head lamp." The LED torch was about 30 percent brighter judging by its hotspot side by side with the other. So i said...what the hey, I'll get it.

I took it home, popped in 3 new AA Rayovac batteries and gave it a whirl - leaving it on for 2 minutes or so at a time. Night time came and i decided to do what you guys do to test your LED flashlights... i left it on at 10:38 pm.

I used it to walk around my house till about 12. I shined it at things 15-20ft away from me and it did a DAMN GOOD JOB. I really like how the LEDS shine a SMOOOTH bright spot and able to cast an even light around it. I got better illumination than my Double Barrel 4AAA flashlight. But don't get me wrong, the Double Barrel was brighter; It's just that the hot spot is too small and the wide focus has too many rings, leaving you with a distorted image in front of you. THe LED torch elliminated that problem and casted an even light that worked very very well as an area light...something i've been looking for, for a LOOONG time.

Outside, the light was still pretty usefull. It lit my path enoegh to see about 5-15 feet. YES, its that good. also, it is possible to see remenance of its white light on white houses 50-60ft away as i shined it on the walls.

So i got tired at about 12 and i decided to leave it on while i went to sleep. So far 2 hours pas by since i turned it on and it is still shining at the same intensity - as far as my eyes can tell anyway. I wake up at 7:20 am and i am surprized to see that the light is still freakin' ON!!! DAMN I LOVE IT! haha. The light is about 20% dimmer becuase i could now look at the LEDs- BUT it is still painful. I then leave to do some errands and i have now just returned to write this reply. It is 11:23am and the damn thing is still shinning bright. It has decreased in intensity to about 35% from original. It can still illuminate (barely) a wall with its hot spot 5 feet away in a partially, sun lit room. But its still bright as hell.

So here is a run down of my observations:
CONSTRUCION:
Hard plastic with rubber grip sleeve.

Transperent black/smoke color.

Head unit is clear and looks VERY similar to the CC Trek 7 unit.

6 LEDs with some kind of resistor or something (labled ZRO)

requires 3AA batteries to operate.

PERFORMANCE
Light flikers when violently shaken due to batteries losing contact inside.

thrown onto carpet a distance of 5 feet without a glitch.

Thrown onto tile a distance of 8 feet without a glitch.

illuminates a decent 5ft hotspot 25ft away.

barely illuminates objects 60ft away but it still casts its white light on walls.

------

So that's it. my best shot at an LED review. My first Light, my first review. Am i a flashaholic now? -DEFINATELY!
I showed the new flashlight to my brother and he said "DAMN, why do you keep buying flashlights? you already have 2 lights, how many more do you need?" HAHA. I honestly can't answer that question.

P.S. Do white LEDs normally output a bluish light? At a close distance the light is a brilliant white. But at farther distances it has a VERY light bluish tint to it. It doesn't bother me at all for it looks like an HID color. I was just wondering if this was normal.

Spork

Enlightened
sounds like a good light but i wouldn't like the flicker when you shake it. with my infinity and brinkman light i notice a little blue towards the center. I think thats just the way they are. I'm new here to and I already have 5 led lights.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes it is quite normal to have a bluish tint to them, although the more you overdrive them the more blue they tend to get. 3 AA cells should be pretty safe though.

I wonder who makes it, if it looks like the Trek 7 it could be another Tektite light. How do you turn it on, twist the head? Battery change, is that also done by removing the head? Hummm, sounds pretty nice. At first I was going to guess LEDtronics, but they use 3 N cells and look very similar to AA mags.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
think it is just a clone of treak 7
made in china to reduce cost.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO!! At a distance of 10 feet, one would think that it was a Trek !

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
...How do you turn it on, twist the head? Battery change, is that also done by removing the head? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, turning on the unit requires you to twist the head and changing the batteries requires removal of the head unit.

...actually, if you look at these pictures:
LED Flashlights
And look at the Trek 7 and PLW-3, i found that the unit looks VERY similar to the PLW-3 because the LED Torch is smaller in diameter. But the light output is between those two lights but leaning more towards the brightness of the Trek 7.