Watch pin removal question [links]

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
* for link removal*

Hiya,
picked up a Ti-22 Invicta watch over the holidays, there are no arrows on band for pin removal direction.
Also, pins/holes are exactly the same on each side of band.

How do I know which way to tap the pins out,, or does it even matter on a band (pins) like this?

thanks

btw: good quality titanium used on this unit :)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Watch pin removal question

not sure about that watch but it is possible that it is a spring loaded pin (on both sides) and you could press the pins to pop out one side then the other.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Invicta 22460 is the model, for images of band ect..

archimedes

Flashaholic

Are you trying to remove the bracelet (from the lugs) , or resize it ?

If resizing, are you trying to adjust the clasp (springbar position) , or remove (pinned) links ?

If trying to remove links, are the pins exactly flush on both sides, or slightly recessed on one side ?

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

Assuming you're trying to remove links from the band .....

This may be of little assistance to you because my experience of Invictas is from nearly fifteen years ago but on their older stainless bands you can determine which end of the pin to press on by using a loupe or other magnifier to look very closely at the ends of the pin inside the holes - one end of the pin will be solid and the other will be split but the split sides will be compressed together and the split will appear just as a fine line. You press (or tap, as you say) on the solid end, not the split end.

As I said though, this refers to their older stainless bands, I dont know if they've updated their design since then.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Some pins are split at one end, others can be solid with raised diameter ends to grip. If same then it's not critical either way. Split bracelet at the clasp which is usually a spring clip(I do work on a tray, then when things fly off, it helps keep them close by ). Ideally for a few bucks, you can buy a little tool which pushes the pin out . If not a thin watch tool or alike will work. Just watch for stabbing yourself!!! Ask me how I know lol. Once initial pin has pushed , use pliers to pull out.

Splitting the bracelet at clasp minimises risks of scratching on the watch back as you can open the strap away from the back . It also makes working on it much easier.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is my tool of choice for removing bracelet pins. Cost $5 or less.
cce1af6f08c44d005f090dd01f3195d7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Harbor Frieght sells a kit like that MAD. They also have a watch back remover tool and a kit with lots of various sized pins for band replacement. Man I cannot tell you how many times when swapping bands that little pin goes flying across the room never to be seen again, or bent.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Thanks for all the responses [][][ this is for link removal & I changed the OP

The amount of pin recess looks the same to me, what if one is deeper than the other? (0.0x millimeter)

ven

Flashaholic

Pretty much snap Mike, similar tools and do get used a lot. In fact, my most expensive tool( most are super cheap unless go for actual pro swiss type tools) is the bergeon pin tool(around $15).

Orbital just push through on side, it does not matter that much. If (would say unlikely if looks same at both ends) it does come out and wrong way, just replace the correct way. Once you apply pressure, the little pop , it will come out the rest of the way easy with some long nose pliers(or alike).

When refitting, push through by hand as far as you can(around 3/4 of way is usual). I use the flat side of the pliers and apply pressure, usually 9 times out of 10 it pops in.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The pins are friction fit, so you do want to keep the correct orientation when removing and replacing.

Ask me how I know :ohgeez:

Broke a watch-pin tool once.

ven

Flashaholic
The friction pins I have just removed are equal at each end(symmetrical) . In fact it's the first time I have come across these type of pins. It's usually been screw or split at one end types in the past. Given the choice I prefer screw types(small head and threaded ). I am sure there are pros and cons with all.

I may have also broken a pin tool, it may have been more than one:whistle: I can confirm they hurt when they slip as well. Unless it's the clasp which tend to be spring pins, I always use the tool similar to the pic above of mikes.

I will be adding a link myself to a bracelet ,once it arrives in the post. Hopefully Saturday....