Imalent        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturing defect on new MDC Bodies?

Default Re: Manufacturering defect on new MDC Bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    There have been changes to both mdc heads and bodies.
    The newer heads have silver coating because Gene was getting a lot of calls which turned out to be user error. To simplify things he added the coating on the threads to ensure contact.

I haven't seen the anno inside until I saw this thread. Using on an MDC head would be issue free as negative contact is on the threads. I can easily see the issue here.

Gene doesn't care if items are second hand, he stands by his product and wants the customer to be happy no matter what.

I personally would just resolve this issue myself rather than paying to ship it to Gene. If it was actually a defect, that would be different. This is an easy fix and not worth the trouble.

It is good to let Gene know though, so he can talk to the anodizer about it. Just my thoughts
    Thanks for the info.

Yep, definitely a large issue(especially if it is the same with all new bodies).

Yes, that's what I figured and has also been my experience so far with him. Awesome customer service(possible best in industry).

Oh it is definitely a defect(or at very least a tolerance issue). The anno never should have been applied to the chamfer imo. In addition, I am a bit upset as part compatibility should be thoroughly tested before anything ships to customers imo. Especially considering many of Gene's users are people who's lives depend on their lights reliability. If someone took that light out and needed to identify if a possible threat had a weapon, they would be in a world of trouble when it didn't come on and/or flickered. It's not a huge deal though, in this case, as I caught it in testing. As for fixing it myself, I thought about it but, decided Gene should make the call and also don't really want to modify such an expensive body when I already have several other options that work. I ordered some OR washers to try as I really love this body.

Yes, definitely. This needs to be changed asap. I'm going to send Gene an email as soon as my Malkoff order shows up(should be tomorrow or Tuesday).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-25-2020 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Ordered OR washers to try.

Any new updates?

@a1sealbeach, on the older style head without the silver coating, are you sure the head is fully tightened? That's exactly why Gene went to the coating, to ensure contact, but i never had any issues with the older style making contact.

Any new updates?
    Still waiting on shipment, hopefully tomorrow.

Bodyguard has newer inner contact design which show no gaps as well as newer MDC heads. Works fine. But what I don't understand is E1T and VME has gap and works with new MDC body, but not old gen MDC head which have same gap. Tightup the head.... I even tried without o ring. Old potted head has shorter distance to body chamfer to potted dropin, which lead me to think there were not enough contact from potted drop in to inner head. As newer head design shows cover or connect inner head and top of potted drop-in might be the answer of all this troubles. As I demonstrate small contact made by copper ring or even soldering on to make bridging between two points on old head seems simple solution to me.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Does that mean the threaded section of the new heads are shorter, not allowing for contact? Bizarre
    I got a newer style mdc donut body from a fellow member, I'll have a look and see if it works on my older style mdc heads

I know this body isn't anodized on the inside though

No. What I meant is old head has 25mm depth to top of drop-in compare newer ones are 30mm. I just measured. But that is not the point. Old design has some gaps make no contact on some model between inner head and top of drop-in. That is why some of my head works some don't. Between the old and new comparability issues in Malkoff is very evitable, and you know when it come to other E comparability brand issues will be.

I tested Malkoff head with Surefire E lights. It is worked. But Malkoff bodies to Surefire E head doesn't. None . Nada.

that's a bummer.

I tried that new style donut body on my older heads and it worked without issue. I will have to say; that new style has some grip. Might not be the most pleasing to the eye but it's definitely functional.

yap. That was what I started saying that old heads what I got some works some don't with newer body, but none problems with old body. There is definitely intriguing issues on new designed body and head combined. Further issues with other brands will shows problems is not limited to Malkoff only.

I wonder what Gene coated the threads with on the newer heads. I wonder if we could find something similar to use on the older heads to ensure proper contact. It has to dry thin and be conductive

Quote Originally Posted by a1sealbeach View Post
    I tested Malkoff head with Surefire E lights. It is worked. But Malkoff bodies to Surefire E head doesn't. None . Nada.
    All of my SF heads work just fine on my Malkoff bodies(aside from low on gas pedal lights due to the lack of tailcap resistor). I even get high with my Tactician head on a MDC body.

Last edited by Tachead; 01-16-2020 at 06:14 AM.

that's a bummer.

I tried that new style donut body on my older heads and it worked without issue. I will have to say; that new style has some grip. Might not be the most pleasing to the eye but it's definitely functional.
    Yeah, I love the new stacked doughnut style, great grip. I just wish Gene would make a 16650 version of it(without this manufacturering issue). I asked about it about a year ago, nothing yet...

I would do the doughnut version in 16650. I'm surprised he only has the newer style on just a couple forms. I don't know what his sales look like but having both styles in all sizes would be nice

I hope he could take more time on change design on body style. New design on MDC is totally different than other lines. Flashlight needs balance of functionality and mechanical beauty. My personal view on new design is lacking both.

He could go with the standard crosshatch knurling

I like the smoother style in that it makes it more like a gentlemans light. Kind of like knives.

If you could design the body, how do you picture it? It's got to be hard coming up with an idea that is unique and also please the majority.

How about this. With less aggressive knurling than MD2, it keeps the simplicity of design and keep grips intact. That simple and modern design in Malkoff lights is the key to distinguish the difference from others. There are so many light us ugly chrome trim, aux lights, crossing streaming lines, and rainbow colors. Terrible design.
    https://imgur.com/AFoGKEN

That could possibly work, nice shot.
    K, go run it by Gene and let us know how it goes

Default Re: Manufacturing defect on new MDC Bodies?

Just an update for everyone on this issue...

I corrected my 2 bodies with Oveready 19mm Beryllium Copper Spring Washers. They work perfectly and the lights are perfectly reliable once again. This is what I recommend for anyone with a problem body.

I contacted Gene to let him know about the issue. The chamfer will no longer be anodized going forward so, this should no longer be an problem. Great, friendly customer service as usual from Malkoff.

Here are some pics of OR's washers in a VME head for anyone interested...

It’s weird to speak to an owner of a company that actually cares about his customers and products.Thats GENE. 😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Yep, it's refreshing and a throw back to better times. It's also a big part of the reason why at least 50% of my lights are Malkoff now. Gotta love Malkoff.

So now the top of the body tube contacts the brass washer making contact? Is that right?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    I corrected my 2 bodies with Oveready 19mm Beryllium Copper Spring Washers. They work perfectly and the lights are perfectly reliable once again. This is what I recommend for anyone with a problem body.
    Clever solution.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    So now the top of the body tube contacts the brass washer making contact? Is that right?
    Yes, that is correct. The brass washer jumps negative contact between the bottom of the dropin and the unanodized flat at the top of the bodies threads. Gene will be leaving the inner chamfer bare now as well so the washer will not be required going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Clever solution.
    Thanks. I took a risk as I had no idea if they would work or not and it cost me $40US to get them here(3 of them). Luckily, they work perfectly and allow me to use the bodies without modification. Originally I was a bit upset and didn't want fix the issue myself out of principle but, decided I didn't want to cause Gene any hassle and I really love these new stacked doughnut models. I have one in my left pocket right now in fact.

Holly hell! 40 bucks. Ouch.

That's the way I'd have gone too. Good on you, and I'm so glad you sorted the problem.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Holly hell! 40 bucks. Ouch.
    Yep, definitely a bit pricey(everything OR is lol) but, remember part of that was the shipping as I am in Canada. Glad it worked out...

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    That's the way I'd have gone too. Good on you, and I'm so glad you sorted the problem.
    P
    Thank you Peter, I am glad too. Now I can go back to enjoying my tools.

International shipping would have been an issue either way. I think you did well. Always good to have spare parts in the bin, even if you don't need all three right now.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    International shipping would have been an issue either way. I think you did well. Always good to have spare parts in the bin, even if you don't need all three right now.
    Yeah, it's a bit more then just inside the US. Not too bad though luckily. I am happy with how it worked out for sure.

10-4 on the spares. I actually only needed 2 as I only have two of the new bodies with the anodized cell compartment. But, I ordered a third for the E-Parts bin just in case(which has started to get too full hense the WTS package lol).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast