Manufacturing defect on new MDC Bodies?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just had my first problem with a Malkoff product. I just purchased a stacked doughnut shrouded MDC CR123 body and it does not work properly. Apon further investigation I have discovered why and it appears to be a manufacturing defect. It looks like the newest bodies have seen a design change and now are anodized on the inside of the tube as well(a nice upgrade[emoji16]). The problem is, the anodizing was ran up too high near the threads and blocks the negative current path to the dropin causing an intermittent connection, flickering, and often failure to even power up.

Does anyone else have this issue? Was it just one run of bodies or all of them? I am not sure how to handle this as I bought the body used(new, never carried) and this wasn't disclosed to me. I'm not sure if I should contact Gene or the seller. Kind of a weird situation I was not expecting as I already own 5 different Malkoff bodies(4 of them MDC)and several heads and dropins.

Here are some pics of the issue...
ouDjUFB.jpg

zED2rL6.jpg

qeilKmw.jpg

You can see the chamfered portion where the dropin mates appears to have been anodized when it should have been left bare. Correction: Cell compartment ID's are the same on my samples +/-.

What do you guys think? How should I handle this weird situation?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Manufacturering defect on new MDC Bodies?

I had this problem with one of my AA tubes. There was a little anodizing on the very face of the body.I used a piece of 500 grit paper to remove it. Haven't had a problem since

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had this problem with one of my AA tubes. There was a little anodizing on the very face of the body.I used a piece of 500 grit paper to remove it. Haven't had a problem since
There shouldn't be anodizing on the entire chamfered portion in addition to the top face imo. If I put a Malkoff dropin on top of the body it barely touches the flat top portion and mainly covers the chamfer. I can see if I can mic it.

I thought about emery cloth or, I could use chemical means to strip the anno on the chamfer but, really shouldn't have to as it's a brand new body right and I would risk the dropin not sitting low enough to make contact then(it barely touches now). I would rather send it back and go with a different body(or the old one) if anything. I just can't risk intermittent contact with the use I have planed for this light(my life is in the line). I already have 2 of the non-shrouded versions of this body and love them but, am having issues with it turning on in my pocket(I run clipped inside weak hand front pocket). Both of them don't have any anodizing on the inside(earlier run I am guessing)so there is no issue. That is why I say it is a manufacturing defect. I like the new anodizing on the inside but, it never should have been applied to the chamfer imo.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here, so you can see what I mean. It's hard to show but, you can actually see the anodizing around most of the circumference of the body head, where the dropin bottom meets it, which is only on the chamfered portion(not the flat top). I would have to remove a significant amount of the anodizing for it to make reliable contact. The entire chamfer should be bare or the flat portion should be much wider. I could order a couple of Oveready Beryllium Copper Spring washers but, depending how thick they are, it would make my VME bezels sit high.
E7mdEBh.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Yes. The very top should be free of anodizing. Like I said I just used a piece of fine"500 grit" paper. Worked like a charm.

Oh ya I see what you mean on my tube the module hits the very top of my tube so that's what my problem was.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast

send pics to Gene explaining what's up see what he tells you to do, he might tell you just send it in

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Yes without a doubt get hold of the man. He will make it right.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, thanks guys[emoji106]. I was just a little worried to contact Gene as I bought the body second hand(the seller probably should have disclosed this issue but, maybe he didn't try a Malkoff dropin with it?). Anyway, I guess I will contact Gene and see what he says, I just hate bugging the man and taking him away from making us more good stuff[emoji16].

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast

tac follow up with us letting us know what Gene says. incase we ever run into this issue ourselves

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

tac follow up with us letting us know what Gene says. incase we ever run into this issue ourselves
Will do. I'm going to wait a bit though as I have a package coming tomorrow or early next week from them and it has a 16650 body in it. I just want to make sure it doesn't have the same issue.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Just checked both my 2XAA tubes are. Anodized on the ID. Some models must have it and some do not.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, I have 4 MDC bodies now and another arriving soon(16650). So far, 3 of the 4 aren't anodized on the inside. Different runs I am guessing. The anodizing on the inside is definitely an upgrade, the problem is it shouldn't have been applied to the chamfered part of the top of the head. That way, no matter how the dropin sits, it will still make full contact.

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm, I'll check my mdcs when I get home. I have the "stacked donut" 123 body and the smooth 1xaa

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the rest of your stuff arives, I'm sure Gene would want to know if there's an inherent problem with his gear.
If there is, he'll be able to head it off before it becomes a headache.
P

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the rest of your stuff arives, I'm sure Gene would want to know if there's an inherent problem with his gear.
If there is, he'll be able to head it off before it becomes a headache.
P
Yes, I will definitely be letting him know(although he may see the thread first anyway). I just hope the 16650 body I ordered doesn't have the same issue. This is definitely something that needs to be changed with his anodizer/machine shop going forward as these bodies(my sample anyway)are not made right as can be seen from my pics. I still plan to do some measurements with my micrometer/calipers to further illustrate how out of spec the dropin to body connection is.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Malkoff has sold seconds occasionally for a discount maybe that was one of them but I'm sure they're tested before they leave the factory. In any event, I think standing it with that chamfered part soaking it in a plate of liquid plummer was a suggestion someone used in the past. As long as you don't mistake the wife's fine china for a cheap plate. A search for removing anodizing comes up with some helpful threads