Some of Hogo's Evil Plans for 2020

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many know, or should know, I have the evil plan of getting a beryllium copper run going for March. Pre-sale again like the other special metal runs. Kind of a 10 year anniversary for the Rotary. Arizona being the "Copper State" and all.

What other things does Hogo have up his sleeve for 2020? Well, preferably no more scar tissue, but who knows. Life is short. Shorter for some. When I arrive at the pearly gates, I will be sure to have my body completely worn out as I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride here on this rock... mostly.

As BeCu won't exactly be a pauper's light, how about a limited run of stainless steel? I have some in my shoulder and thigh, and it seems to work nicely holding the bones in place, and has the magical property of letting me forecast cold fronts. I'm not sure a stainless steel HDS would help you predict the future weather, but I think it would be very cool and not nearly as expensive as titanium or Becu...

And, I know folks have been wanting this... a natural HA run. The parts WON'T match... at least not on purpose. Yes. It only took... what? 18 months for me to convince Henry to do it? Sounds about right. I finally got him to agree to do a run of natural HA with quite possibly, more like probably, mismatched anodizing.

I am on the lookout for other interesting emitters that are available in quantities of 50-100 (possibly even quantities of 30 but not less than that) so if you have suggestions of what you would like to see THAT HAS NOT BEEN OFFERED by HDS BEFORE, let me know. They also need to be available. I shouldn't have to say that but vaporware, like the HDS headlamp, just won't help. It needs to be something I can actually acquire (again, unlike the HDS Headlamp).

Did someone say "headlamp"? Sorry. Not this year.

There are other things we are working on... but I can not say what. No, a headlamp isn't one... yet.

So, feel free to discuss BeCu, Stainless Steel and weather prediction, and Natural HA along with emitters you might like to see that have NOT been offered previously by HDS here.

nbp

Flashaholic
The special metals have been a little rich for my pocket this past year but I will be very interested in checking out HA and SS! I'm glad to hear that the ano won't match, hopefully that will keep the costs a little more reasonable than all the craziness needed to make them perfect.

I will personally ban any member who fusses about anodizing colors and ruins it for everyone else. Lol. [emoji23]

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we get a matching Natural HA headlamp? :D

Stainless Steel sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! Like nbp said, premium metals wasn't friendly for my pocket either and it looks like it won't be in nearest future also but SS and NaHa could do the trick.
It would be funny seeing Henry calibrating Ostam White emitters
giphy.gif

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Hogo, you're clairvoyant! I was just thinking about a stainless Rotary yesterday! I swear! It popped into my head while I was standing there looking through a box with the bare naked and admiring its silver-ness. Just thinking "a stainless steel would really be nice" and now...it might become a reality! Greatness!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since HDS is not about high output, have you considered any of the Optisolis emitters ?

Those do present certain technical challenges, and I know how demanding Henry can be.

The emitter is not symmetrical and I would be perfectly content with a frosted / flood lens.

The quality of light from my Jetusolis (AAA) has displaced other options for pocket EDC. I would be interested in something bigger, brighter, and more durable.

gravelrash

Enlightened
I have a high-cri Clicky 120 from 2011 in cerakote Orange. I don't know what the premium is for cerakote, but offering a couple of colors may make a desirable "custom" light for folks that don't want to pay a premium for special metal runs.

Or how about electroless nickel? Just my thoughts. I'd be in for a stainless.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
What Arch said! My Jetusolis 5k has the best tint/cri of any light that I have. An HDS Optisolis with frosted lens (even a clear lens and diffuse it myself) would be spectacular.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'll add my vote for stainless steel, to those above, also.

And I do like EN-plating (typically over Al) too, but I think that runs into the same issues as the all-metal / non-anodized versions, since it is conductive.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Most likely i would be in for stainless, and most definitely for Natural HA. Copper is too soft for me, but Sterling Silver would make me overlook that aspect.
Hoping for clicky models too.
As for other ideas:
Bringing back twisty models. Making bezels with tapped holes to accept clips(for rotary), RGB emitters (crazy), gitd reflectors again, aspheric lenses.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have looked at the Optisolis and undoubtedly will again. I know Henry was a bit disappointed in it the last time we looked...

Beryllium copper isn't soft.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew Dan had more up his sleeve.

Stainless would be nice as well as getting natural ha... everyone was dying for nha last yr.

I would love a BeCu, but that's too rich for my blood this yr.

I'm just going to:popcorn: as others will have much better suggestions. I'm just part of the support group;)

klackey

Enlightened
Good times ahead............ Just love how HDS is keeping moving "forward" with new stuff. I do suspect that the "general" population do not appreciate the
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
methodical
[/FONT]
improvements over a radical jump. Not the HDS way. However, any new radical jump would be fun but not necessary.

A clickily - rotary hybrid.....

Ok, back on topic..... I would most likely be in for a stainless.... however a new emitter choice would be nice as I have and love most of the current offerings. I would rather not have two of the same... Something in the range of my current love the SST-20 would be irresistible.

Good times...….

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the evil plan of getting a beryllium copper run going for March. Pre-sale again like the other special metal runs.
Can't wait till the pre-order is online. Is the planned number of lights as limited as we han on the bronze run, or will be there a few more light that is is not a 20s sale?

how about a limited run of stainless steel?
Sounds great to me. At the moment I do not own a stainless stell light. Why not the first Stainless Steel a HDS?

a natural HA run. The parts WON'T match... at least not on purpose.
Great :) And if the colors are not matching, even better. Most of my Surefires are not matching, but are working fine and looking pretty good 8)

Did someone say "headlamp"? Sorry. Not this year.
I know some folks will be now dissapointed, but for me it is fine. I have 3 headlamps that is for me enough.

I am on the lookout for other interesting emitters that are available in quantities of 50-100
Maybe the Samsung LH351B maybe a color that is not 4000K ;)
Or a SST20 with a warmer or cooler color than 4000K
Nichia 219B sw30 d180 L2 r9080 --> http://budgetlightforum.com/node/68168

I do not know on how much LEDs are available for Nichia. It is only kind of idea. I would be happy with a limided LED option that is warmer than 4000K or cooler than 4000K.

---Edit---
Hogo, are there still plans on making a 18650 Titanium rotary Tube? You mentioned this some time ago?

Last edited:

Croquette

Enlightened
Natural HA would look very good. With a bronze anodized bezel.

Did someone already tried a white flat led in a HDS ?

TheJLew85

Enlightened
I do not know on how much LEDs are available for Nichia. It is only kind of idea. I would be happy with a limided LED option that is warmer than 4000K or cooler than 4000K.

---Edit---
Hogo, are there still plans on making a 18650 Titanium rotary Tube? You mentioned this some time ago?

This is kind of what I am thinking. I love the 4000K range and have the Nb4 as well as the SS40 but I would like to try something in the 5000K and possibly a 3000K range. I am a big fan of Nichia... But something a bit warmer and cooler than the 4000k as WOL said. Choices! And the 18650 TI rotary tube!!

Last edited:

Pinarello

Newly Enlightened
Like both, SS and HA. Excellent offering for many limited budget people(myself included). I was thinking hundreds times about clip for Rotary, but, except under bezel clip, I couldn't find any solution. So, instead going for other brands clips and necessarily modify them, would be nice to see Rotary equipped with proprietary under bezel clip. Clip "problem" is the only objection on Rotary I've ever heard. And would be quite a simple to make such clip, IMHO.