3C maglite led upgrade?

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
I asked a few weeks ago about what to buy to augment my Malkoff Wildcat.
I decided to buy a 3C LED Maglite. Not because its a GREAT light but because its ok and cost just $20.00
So now I'm wondering if I could use 2 18650s with an adapter to make it brighter and/or if there is an inexpensive drop in emitter to make it brighter.

Like I said the light is ok for $20 but .... well just ok. :)

Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
2x18650 is right around 8 volts. You will fry that poor thing. As it sits it is really not that bad.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
why would you be here, the mecca of LED technology.. HAVE a Malkoff and buy a Mag because it is "cheap"?
Find user Jayrob and see what he can do to a Maglite to make it worthy... hint, there goes cheap

LED Monkey

Enlightened
The voltage from the batteries you use in any light must be within the working voltage range that the light is designed to use. If you don't you'll probably have problems!

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
why would you be here, the mecca of LED technology.. HAVE a Malkoff and buy a Mag because it is "cheap"?
Find user Jayrob and see what he can do to a Maglite to make it worthy... hint, there goes cheap

I know... :)

But this is a light I want but don't need. $20.00 for Maglite or $250.00 for Malkoff........ I just can't justify spending over ten times more just because it would be a cooler light to have.
Realistically for my use the extra illumination of the Malkoff is of almost no benefit.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I asked a few weeks ago about what to buy to augment my Malkoff Wildcat.
I decided to buy a 3C LED Maglite. Not because its a GREAT light but because its ok and cost just $20.00
So now I'm wondering if I could use 2 18650s with an adapter to make it brighter and/or if there is an inexpensive drop in emitter to make it brighter.

Like I said the light is ok for $20 but .... well just ok. :)

Thanks.

You have a nice $20 light. Why would you want to do an expensive upgrade on a $20 light you bought because you didn't want or need an expensive light with massive output? Do an inexpensive upgrade that would vastly improve the lights power,brightness and run time,though not as much as a high end upgrade, by going over to Adventure Sports Flashlights and buying the 280 Lumen LED Drop In Bulb for $16. Every Maglite should have this upgrade at the very least. Most cost effective upgrade you can do. The 280 Lumen Bulb fits the 3D.I assume it fits the 3C but I am not sure. I would have to check. Why did you get the 3C instead of the 3D? Sale?

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
You have a nice $20 light. Why would you want to do an expensive upgrade on a $20 light you bought because you didn't want or need an expensive light with massive output? Do an inexpensive upgrade that would vastly improve the lights power,brightness and run time,though not as much as a high end upgrade, by going over to Adventure Sports Flashlights and buying the 280 Lumen LED Drop In Bulb for $16. Every Maglite should have this upgrade at the very least. Most cost effective upgrade you can do. The 280 Lumen Bulb fits the 3D.I assume it fits the 3C but I am not sure. I would have to check. Why did you get the 3C instead of the 3D? Sale?

I got the 3C instead of 3D because of its smaller size, this is a light I will probably carry in a coat pocket or my work pants sometimes when I'm working on machinery.

Will the upgrade you refer to be a significant upgrade from the 3C LED Maglite or are you thinking I have a 3C incandesent?

Thanks for the input.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED upgrades I am familiar with are for the incans and the cheaper ones wouldn't really be better than Mag's current LED anyway. You could probably run the light on a single 18650 but I don't know of a commercial source for a 18650 to C adapter. Trying to run 2 18650s would be too much for a 3 cell Mag. I just used eneloop AAs in adapters in my 2 cell Mag LED for a rechargeable option. No increase in output with eneloops but the light is much lighter without the C cells.

If you need more flood instead of throw you could try a frosted lens or maybe Glad press and seal over the factory lens. You can also modify the tint with filters if you want a warmer output.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I got the 3C instead of 3D because of its smaller size, this is a light I will probably carry in a coat pocket or my work pants sometimes when I'm working on machinery.

Will the upgrade you refer to be a significant upgrade from the 3C LED Maglite or are you thinking I have a 3C incandesent?

Thanks for the input.

When you said you got the light for $20 I assumed it was an incandescent. You got a 3C LED Maglite for $20? I thought they were much more. The bulb costs 20$.

There is nothing like having a compact light that works without having to lug around something that is bulky. If you think about it you have Mini Mag on steroids.

All I know is everyone tells me the 280 Lumen drop in LED Bulb Adventure Sport Flashlights sells is the highest output for a drop in Maglite Bulb that they have seen. Not only is it rated for 280 Lumens the guy at the Company tested it at 276. Check the claimed Lumens of your stock flashlight and use that as a reference. Even though that is claimed. Again, this is a 3C. This stuff is available for the 3D and I assume they are available for the 3C. There are other inexpensive upgrades you can do. On Adventure Sport's website they have some DuraCell Duralok Batteries for about $1.75 each that would be a small upgrade. Try and find them online. You can get a clear glass lens for about $11 and someone told me they make a slight orange peeled bezel reflector that concentrates the beam. The name of the company escapes me right now. But you can go on Adventure Sport Flashlight's Website and look at all the Maglite upgrades and what is available for C and see where your personal needs are.

mjac

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the input.

Sorry to bother you again but if you really need an inexpensive, very powerful, compact work light, go on Amazon and check out the "NiteRider Lumina 1100 Boost" Bicycle Light. They go for $67 now on some kind of sale. I got mine a while back for $52. It is 41/2" long and 11/2" square. It has 4 different intensity levels with the boost a claimed 1100 Lumens. It heats up on boost. You would have to wear a glove. It is a bicycle light that usually rests in a bracket. Built in rechargeable battery, comes with handlebar bracket and charger. You can also check out all the other NiteRider lights. You might find one more to your liking. It is a pretty nice light for the money.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Check out "Convoy S2+" flashlights at MNT Electronis under $20. bucks, very bright, small, compact and good build quality and takes 1 18650 battery. I have 2 in 2 colors and they have had 0 problems.