Maglite 3C Homemade tailcap lanyard ring?

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
I tried making a lanyard by putting a constrictor knot around the barrel and it works awhile but it slides off the end after putting the light in and out of my pocket a bunch of times.

So I looked at the tail cap and it looks to me like I could drill a small hole right in the center and put a small parachute cord through it. Then tie a small knot inside to keep the cord from pulling out through the hole. A knot big enough not to pull through but small enough to not interfere with the tail cap spring when it is compressed. Maybe a small dot of epoxy on the tiny knot?
On the outside make a small loop to put a key ring through.
Then when I want a lanyard on it just clip it on with a small carabiner or I could just tie a lanyard onto the key ring and leave it there.

Or whatever. I'd have a metal ring hanging off the tail cap.

I can't be the first or even the 100th guy to think of this.
But is there something I'm not considering that I should? Will even the smallest knot inside take up too much room under the spring?
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that there is a space issue (my 2C MagLite tailcap has enough room for a spare bulb). A possible issue with a hole in the tailcap might be creating a pathway for dirt/dust and moisture to get inside the flashlight. I can't imagine that someone hasn't drilled and tapped the tailcap to install a solid attachment point for a lanyard, strap or carabiner.
Post some pics of your project either in progress or once complete.
Sovende

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Two ways I know of, one I did myself and other I may try some day.

1) Drill 1/8" hole at 1/8" deep at a right angle to the light. Drill another straight down to end up with an L shaped hole.
Feed cord into the L and pull it out of the hole with a dental pick or other small pointy object.

2) Drill a small hole on opposite sides of the cap and install a D clip.

DDBD9-E37-ABDF-4-EA4-99-C1-D7-A9-BD45-AB41.jpg

Here's what I mean.
Left is what I did and it is still sealed.
Right was what Maglite did several years ago and it can be done again if you keep the hole shallow (say 1/8").

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that there is a space issue (my 2C MagLite tailcap has enough room for a spare bulb). A possible issue with a hole in the tailcap might be creating a pathway for dirt/dust and moisture to get inside the flashlight. I can't imagine that someone hasn't drilled and tapped the tailcap to install a solid attachment point for a lanyard, strap or carabiner.
Post some pics of your project either in progress or once complete.
Sovende

Thank you! I can't believe I never thought of drilling and tapping it for the standard threaded hole that is used on cameras and scopes. [ Well ok I can believe I never thought of it. :)]

Thats a great idea and if the tail cap should be not quite thick enough for threads I'll just epoxy in a little filler in the bottom to make it so.

I can thread it and I even have a male threaded lanyard holder on an old camera that I can put on it.

Great idea, thanks!

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
Two ways I know of, one I did myself and other I may try some day.

1) Drill 1/8" hole at 1/8" deep at a right angle to the light. Drill another straight down to end up with an L shaped hole.
Feed cord into the L and pull it out of the hole with a dental pick or other small pointy object.

2) Drill a small hole on opposite sides of the cap and install a D clip.

Here's what I mean.
Left is what I did and it is still sealed.
Right was what Maglite did several years ago and it can be done again if you keep the hole shallow (say 1/8").

Another good idea! Thank you.

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
I found a nice solution These and other ones similar are available for about $5. The threads are the standard 1/4-20 . I can just drill a 1/4" hole in the cap, insert this and put a 1/4" nut on the inside. I'll Loctite the nut, that way I can leave this just barely loose enough to swivel but it won't come unscrewed. I'm pretty sure there will be enough room inside but I'll verify that first. I have not drilled the cap yet so I don't know how thick it is. I may need to space it out just a bit with a flat washer on the outside. There are other shorter lengths available too. I found them with a Google search.
61jU8-7xjyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
:popcorn::popcorn:

I definitely look forward to seeing how this turns out. I really like the possible swivel idea.

I'll let you know but it might be a week or so. I'm thinking maybe a stainless steel flat washer on the inside and outside and still leave it loose enough to swivel.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just don't get the tail near any water though. It will leak. But you could put a O-ring on it. But you will lose the ability to swivel.

Alisajpq

Newly Enlightened
I definitely look forward to seeing how this turns out. I really like the possible swivel idea.

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
I'm done, it works. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the cap. It is easy to drill and has a dimple in the center on the inside so it was easy to center the drill bit. The cap is too thin to thread so I drilled it large enough to slide in. On the inside I put an o ring over the threaded shaft and then put on a #12 flat washer. This is smaller in dia. than a 1/4" flat washer but does slide over the 1/4 " threads. Then put on a standard 1/4" nut with thread locker on it so it won't slowly loosen as the shaft gets turned through use.
I could have left off the oring and left the nut just a little loose so the ring would swivel but I saw no reason to do that. Without the ring it would let water leak in.
I'm very pleased with the result. To find the part google " Smallrig Quick Release camera fixing screw."
The D ring screw was less than $5 for a 2 pack.

ring.jpg

BCt9VCr
BCt9VCr

BCt9VCr

Last edited:

RCRVRP

Newly Enlightened
So it swivels, albiet with some resistance?

Sounds like you have a good idea going there.

Yes I can turn it with some resistance of moving the flat washer against the oring. For my use swivel is not an issue. When I have a lanyard on it the lanyard will be a few feet of parachute cord so the light will swivel easily on the cord.

It is such an inexpensive and useful addition that I am surprised it is not provided by the flashlight makers more often.

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
Yes I can turn it with some resistance of moving the flat washer against the oring. For my use swivel is not an issue. When I have a lanyard on it the lanyard will be a few feet of parachute cord so the light will swivel easily on the cord.

It is such an inexpensive and useful addition that I am surprised it is not provided by the flashlight makers more often.
Very nice job there 👍. Aren't you glad that I planted that "seed of innovation" in your brain? 😜
Sovende