Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OEM Delco/Toyota etc.

• Other

• Total voters

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What oil/filter do you use for your vehicle? If you wish leave a post telling why you use what you do. I am trying to find the best oil to use in two daily driver vehicles. 2000 Toyota Sienna van with 55,000 miles (20,000 a year)and a
1998 Toyota T-100 pu with 86,000 miles (8000 a year)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive always heard as long as they have the same rateing there all the same.and most cars in my family just use whats the cheapest like my dad uncle eec etc and most of us get like 250000 300,000 miles on cars if we keep em that long but we change oil every 3000

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I am using Bypass oil filter with Toliet roll paper using Perma-Cool Sandwich adapter interface with bypass oil filter and using FleetGuard LT3487 Oil Filter. I am running now over 7100 miles and It still very light golden. I have not see dirty yet on Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10w-30. Soon I will use Mobil 1 0w-40 will gives me 1-2MPG increase. I recommend get LubeControl and Fuel Power. First 6oz of LubeControl in Oil crankcase then every 1000 miles add 1oz of LubeControl. Fuel Power gives you 1-3MPG gain same time cleansing internal such as valves, piston surface, chamber area, etc and etc. Every 1oz of Fuel Power per 5 gallon of gas.

I recommend you investigate these recommendation at Bobistheoilguy forum as a must! http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

MotorGuard - http://www.bypassfilter.com/MotorGuardFilters.htm

Oil Guard - http://www.oilguard.com/

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o and oil filter is diff story ive heard some of the cheaper ones dont have the check valve to help keep top end of motor lubeds dureing startup how ever i dont know if thats trully the case. i kinda like fram cause the gripy surface that makes filter changes more easy on some of the cars with hard to access filters such as older maximas and 300 z

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use WalMart Supertech oil because it's the cheapest oil around here, and it meets new car warranty requirements (not that my car is anywhere near new, it's a 1993). For filters, I use AC Delco. That's where I feel better using name brand parts. The oil is 84 cents a quart, and the filter costs $3.29. Throw in a bottle of WalMart's imitation STP for about 78 cents, and I change the oil in my car for a little over $7 plus tax. Not bad when you consider going to an oil change place can cost $20 or more.

Semarin

Newly Enlightened
I'm with the majority in your poll, I use Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic and OEM Toyota filters in my 03 Camry, makes it purr like a kitten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Change it every 5000 miles...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
OEM nissan filters (the oversize one).

I've heard bad things about the construction of most Fram filters.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I'm too tired to explain everything in detail but I'm using Redline 5W-20 with an oversize M1 filter in a Civic and German Castrol 0W-30 in my Exploder with the M1 301 filter.

Change intervals are 6 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first.

I am very please with the GC and it has a very robust detergent package. It also meets the european A3 standard which is the extended drain rating. Other oils also meet it but I think the GC (not the USA) is a worthy reward if you hunt for it.

I like Redline oils and their 5W-20 is a robust oil that is almost a 25 weight. It is pricey but some have said that it's the best built 20 weight currently available. I'd also highly recommend M1 0W-20 for cars that call for this viscosity.

The 104 is the oversize version of the thimble aka the 110. I'd also use K&N version without any hesitation.

Please do check out the BOB site. It has so much info that you'll regreat asking about filters and oil.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year I started switching my cars and my wife's mini van to 5w-30 synthetic from the OEM 10w-40 mix. I was really surprised that every single one of them gained 20% fuel mileage. (2 bmw's and a dodge) This was using 2 different brands of oil (Penzoil and Mobile 1)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Pennzoil Long Life 5W-30 and whatever filter the place I get it changed uses?

I haven't got any idea if my 7.3 diesel has 200k, 300k or even more. It only counts to 99,999.

I've put 100K since I got it! Change every 5k or close to it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my SUbbie I use Mobil-1 synthetic aand a factory oil filter.

I wouldn't touch a Fram filter, they're junk.

A factory filter with a good (an rated with the appropriate rating for your car/truck) oil, either synth or dino, is fine for 99% of the cars out there. Some cars require synthetic oil.

Don't use any additives, especially those containing PTFE (a.k.a. Teflon). PTFE is a solid, and you don't want anything solid in your oil tract. Back in my auto mechanic days, I saw several engines clogged up with PTFE that had blown engines.

--dan

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mobile One and Ac Declo.
Stay as far away from Fram filters as possible. I thought mine failing was just one of those things that can happen until I found others on the internet with problems due to Frams. Mine was a fuel filter which started to leak. Remember old carb'ed vehicles had filters in the carb, and new fuel injected have the filter under the body, well during the transition (throttle body injection) my filter was mounted on the firewall. The fram split open and started spraying fuel on the hot engine. Luckily I stopped when I smelled gas before I caught fire. Fram almost took my life that day due to cheap construction.

avusblue

Enlightened
I get my oil changed (2003 Chrysler Minivan) by our neighborhood Chrysler dealer. I take my 91 Miata and mama bear's Honda Pilot there, too. They offer a very competitive deal (usually coupons for $16.95) and do it while I wait and watch, drink a cup of coffee, chat up my salesman and check out the new cars. In and out in 20 to 30 minutes and they refill all the other fluids and inspect the tires, brakes, and other systems of the car. The folks are always very friendly, seem conscientious, and I enjoy maintaining a relationship with them. That's rare in business nowadays.

They use Mopar "branded" oil.

Cheers,

Dave

PS -- Be careful what you troll for, the "which oil / filter is best" topic is beat up on almost every internet forum there is . . . and usually without anyone either changing their own mind or convincing others. Very little CONCLUSIVE data exists, and so people either say "my engine lasted for 5 million miles on brand X, therefore it's good" or "my uncle's half-sister's friend's nephew's parole officer's barber's buddy had his engine wrecked by brand Y therefore it's bad".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the "dark side" of not changing oil. Had a friend (a very good mechanic) that wanted to hop-up his engine (wanted an excuse to rebuild the engine) on a then new, ~1970 GMC truck with something like a 350 CID or big block V8. Did not change oil or filter at all and got something like 40,000 miles before it needed to be rebuilt (don't remember what went wrong).

-Bill

PS: If you pay for an oil change, make sure to check the oil level yourself right after the change. Some of these guys think they are doing you a favor if they put an extra 1/2 or one quart over the full line on the dip stick. Can blow crank case seals and gaskets because the oil gets whipped up by the crank shaft and build too much pressure inside the engine. -BB

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I use genuine Toyota oil filters on my truck. As for the oil, I'm planning to use Mobil One full synthetic after I break in the new engine.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I am convinced, but cant afford the price tag to go full synthetic. I know that you can blend synthetic and dino of the same weight, but it it worth it do do it?

If you read silver foxes articles up above you will see that the Fram Tough Guard actually IS a good filter. That is the one I have used for about 5 years now. But I am looking at switching to either Toyota or Wix filters.

So It looks like for now my choice will be Castrol plus Mobil 1 blended myself or Just Castrol, based on the Info that silver fox gave.

IF I did decide to pony up for full synthetic, how much interval can I increase to? Living in West Texas, The climate is quite harsh, 110 degree days with alot of dust. Alot of stop and go driving. Alot of idleing, up to one hour at a time sometimes.