Streamlight MACROSTREAM USB

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Specs look decent; nice form factor (same length as a BOSS70 but slightly narrower, fwiw)- and I do always try to pay attention to the forward-clicky lights.
I like the sliding front sleeve / bezel which protects the USB port; I do hope it's inherently secure & won't get 'floppy' w/ age.

Doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon yet, any insight as to street prices ?

Edit: I see the removable battery (#66607) on the info sheet - any thoughts as to its measurements?
Doesn't look like a very common size to me ...

Last edited:

Enlightened
Looks nice. If they make 2 models (High and Low / Low and High) like on the microstream it looks like a winner.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Edit: I see the removable battery (#66607) on the info sheet - any thoughts as to its measurements?
Doesn't look like a very common size to me ...

Yeah this is a big problem IMO with the Microstream USB and Stylus Pro USB too, they use non-standard size batteries so can't be replaced with readily available batteries when out in the field. This is a very bad design flaw, especially when companies such as ASP/Pelican/Coast make similar lights with in-place USB charging but the Li-Ion rechargeable batteries can be replaced with a standard battery.

That's why so far, I've never purchased any of SL's small USB rechargeable lights, they just aren't very flexible out in the field.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For whatever reason Streamlight has often chosen proprietary parts and pieces going back the their early days. It's like back when Sears made toilets and only Sears repair parts would work.

Remember that SL 20's, Strions and Stingers have proprietary batterys too.

elzilcho

Enlightened
They aren't available in the average store but the Efest 10440 batteries work fine in the Microstream USB. At least you could carry a spare with you.

County

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping for a flatter regulation curve on this light vs the Microstream USB whose brightness drops quickly in the first ~5-10 min. The 'fact sheet' with the curve isn't posted yet for the Macro on the SL website as of today.
Regardless, am definitely looking forward to the Macro. Though it is ~1/2" longer and almost 2x the weight of the Microstream.. . the Macro at 4.4" long and only 2.2 oz I still think will be a comfortable EDC.
The 'local' battery availability concern is a valid point, but I like the Micro so much I'm willing to overlook that. Anymore the micro USB charger (a common android charger) is so ubiquitous, I consider that an acceptable fail safe. Chances are , a store with AAA batteries will also sell a phone charger.. if I can't borrow one from someone when away from my home or car.
And +1 in the spare Efest 10440 suggestion. . those work well and I carry a spare charged one in my backpack.
Even though the Micro has the rapid decline in brightness, I still consider it my all time favorite EDC as it's been the one I've now carried consistently for the longest amount of time. . over a year. I simply top off the charge a little more often, to compensate for the brightness curve performance.
The Macro may very well become my new favorite!

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting discussion regarding the batteries as it seems there are conflicting opinions on sizes, and interchangeability.

Offhand, I would think there aren't many li-ion battery sizes that are truly proprietary. To have one made would probably cost a small fortune. Upon briefly looking up some of Streamlight's battery specs, I'm thinking the Macrostream may be using a 14500, the USB Microstream using a 10440, and the USB Stylus Pro using two 10440's in parallel.

I'm particularly interested in the Macrostream as an EDC replacement to my VERY long-time "Streamix"... an old Stylus Pro body mated to an equally old Fenix LD01. Not sure I'm crazy about not having a medium mode, but I'll be keeping an eye on it as I do like Streamlight products.