Ultra reliable small keychain light?

terjee

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a keychain light for the most important people in my life. Something that'll turn on and work every single time, even if it hasn't been used in 6 months or more.

Actual use is lights being out in the stairwell, generally finding things in the dark, and other things you'd use your keychain light for, including emergencies.

This is a flashoholic buying for not quite as flashoholic family, and as such, size and convenience matters. Personally I use a QR beta, but I suspect it might be on the large side for them. They do have Zebras as secondary lights anyway. :)

So far I've mostly provided them with Nitecore cubes of various types, but they keep turning empty when they actually need them, and that defeats the point. Not sure if they're turning on accidentally, if it's self discharge, or just idle drain.

Budget wise I wouldn't mind going to $100 for the perfect light, but spending a lot isn't a goal in itself.

I'd love for them to have warm high CRI LEDs, but reliability trumps all other concerns. This includes no accidental activation, mechanically reliable, self-drain and idle current low enough for it to be usable after not having charged or replaced batteries in 6-12 months.

Any wise words or specific recommendations? Would be highly appreciated.

archimedes

Flashaholic
For me, you are describing Peak

This is the reason my travel flashlight is always (at least one of) an Eiger / El Capitan / Logan.

If you want, you can have them build you one (or some) with a custom emitter and/or fixed output.

The standard QTC versions have pluses and minuses, although I don't mind the tradeoffs personally.

Last edited:

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
For me, you are describing Peak

This is the reason my travel flashlight is always (at least one of) an Eiger / El Capitan / Logan.

If you want, you can have them build you one (or some) with a custom emitter and/or fixed output.

The standard QTC versions have pluses and minuses, although I don't mind the tradeoffs personally.
Yeah, I had a stainless steel eiger lug with an eneloop on my keychain for about three years and never had a problem with it not turning on. It makes a great backup light, for example if I need to hand someone else a light. It also seemed to run for hours on AAA Eneloops. They recently have switched from warm white to cool white high CRI. I'd be interested in a group buy going for a warm white high CRI Peak Eiger, especially in stainless steel, I lost mine because I was stupid and let it fall into a lake. As far as ultra reliable they are one of the few I hold in really high regard. With the Eneloop the max output seemed to be about 40-50 lumens, again a runtime of several hours straight, QTC it is easy enough to just turn the light on to max or partial power. If they want a brighter light just switching to L-ion batteries will boost output significantly.
vnbp2l40djxgcKGiE4-xd2j-ehyaQNTHZgvDNAj5g1pQN7vMpxcGs41_xT5MEfHX1fcnwWAG3-nCOJQIN2icGfzIkqiWqhZGnIvNgdcBFW9MT4S9UH1o2Ws_8mwm1aMSBMLD8EWF3cS3YIO_DnOp0GFwY3QktDY0ihSgtLYZIi5NJVcPcUhN7x_VlK_yudfT3Puku7outkQfy0baIJwf8N5XfhCpio80svGgIKqCmrDgL8w56LJc4UpGqZTR3KLLf2AFnhDSokH6cKA6vGGvum2I0Gb1hgZxL1KMmO3FOf2e4yeO7H5SKwWTAYPxcz-R-N-vlOUf21CiyBLhM5-5_cwgKMdJ_uzVGtHeSk6cYm0bxj4_sWkf3OnOvqWQbxvR2Tq2HSKY7zilZJfSpJzzWnpD_FDytktQaA0CshT3RriywLoEn2wEdYuugUiea51H4V5DY0dzGjIX_zAZLD_YIEbfky4wlrDCdIIGuZsMKz-NE9E6dRHq1NS_BK5s__MGeyiT2aS-GsVIVCwQKHkkQeTLKQg7oT8yoKlR54oW9Qe1AhlGRyPQvZTc6cjNqZNZzS-ok0Xw2Am_ea_r9o1_C9UPOKKNiH8IYa0GDVn9t-MLI7uV5o0M33SfNBmzDhFhV3yTKODiteskIHJYmZJWllSnoJISDGuOxRK1oFaYd3XmDFpVcZl7IQ=w1511-h1007-no

My light a few years ago.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I would also be interested
in obtaining that special-run Peak !

But in the meantime --

I'd suggest you search and obtain
a couple Fenix E01 lights !

Reliable, indeed !

Load 'em with Energizer L92 cells

:thumbsup:
_

archimedes

Flashaholic
BTW --

If you think the Prometheus Beta
is TOO LARGE,
be advised the Peak Eiger
is even LARGER !

I run my Eiger on tiny 10180 and 10280 tubes for keyring use (FAR smaller than AAA version) but not while traveling, since those unusual batteries would be much more difficult to replace if necessary.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a lay person you can't beat the LRI photons. I like the photon 2 as it is only a momentary push button but you can lock it on with a slider. It's not water proof but I carried one for years as a young man through all types of adventures and it held up. They have a water proof version with push button on/off as well, or you can step up to the freedom for extra modes. If they used warm or good cri leds I might go back to them for edc.

Peak is a good choice, as mentioned. I would definitely stay away from the QTC as it has caused me some reliability issues plus it's rather finicky in a AAA size.

It's a budget option but a damn nice light. Check out the thrunite Titainum Ti4 (or the aluminum I suppose). NW xpl is an option or it's very simple to reflow your choice of 3535 emitter on the mcpcb.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arch, do you know if they still do the 10180 tubes?
They look ideal for a key light.

I, and now Mrs Yeti have been using a Ti Muyshondt Aeon Mk1 and it's a fine light.
Very solid, I can't imagine that it won't see me out.

P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Arch, do you know if they still do the 10180 tubes?
They look ideal for a key light.

I, and now Mrs Yeti have been using a Ti Muyshondt Aeon Mk1 and it's a fine light.
Very solid, I can't imagine that it won't see me out.

P

My Peak collection is pretty well set at the moment, so I haven't been in the market for some time, but I do believe that 10180 and 10280 were phased out in favor of 10250 a while back ?

Often, Peak will be willing to look for (or custom fabricate) new-old-stock if you contact them personally.

However, I have found fresh 10180 cells intermittently difficult to source :(