Klarus        
Page 1 of 26 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Science and God

Default Science and God

The scientific method can only prove or disprove things that are provable or disprovable by the scientific method , which has led people to say that science can never prove or disprove the existence of God. I remember reading an article in Scientific American quoting some physicists and cosmologists that their work brought the religious ones closer to god, and the “non-believers” closer to the conclusion that there may in fact be a god. A couple of them thought it entirely likely that science would eventually be able to verify God. What irony, God proven by Science!

Brightnorm

Silver Moderator

Default Re: Science and God

Hello Brightnorm,

Since God created science, I thought it was inevitable...

Tom

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BN

i certainly don't see it as ironic...

in fact, many developments in recent years have done much to provide evidence against evolution.

keep in mind that evolution is only a theory that was started back well over a hundred years ago.

Flashaholic*

God?
    you mean Ra AKA Atum?
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Let's say that science finally invented a God-detector -
    ...what would you calibrate it against?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Guess they'd have to develp a Satan-Detector. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

I think that most of what passes for understanding is usually just delusional.

All that we have to keep us from the pain of not understanding (hardly) anything in our lives is science and our religious beliefs telling us that we really do know what's going on.

Scientists are just people and they carry the same baggage.

On the positive side, science is usually right more often when it says that something may be possible than when they flat out say that something is impossible.

For thousands (and thousands) of years virtually all of humanity (including the scientific) thought that man would never travel faster than a horse.

Who knows?

And will the God Detector come with it's own batteries?

Flashaholic*

With over 200 religions and several Gods currently being worshipped on the planet, I always thought it would be neat to start thread here to see how many religions are being represented on the CPF. It might be a subject that could stir things up so it might not be a good idea. Everyone tends to believe that his or her God is the only one so it could get nasty. Let’s be respectful and tread lightly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Lebkuecher said:
    With over 200 religions and several Gods currently being worshipped on the planet, I always thought it would be neat to start thread here to see how many religions are being represented on the CPF. It might be a subject that could stir things up so it might not be a good idea. Everyone tends to believe that his or her God is the only one so it could get nasty. Let’s be respectful and tread lightly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. This isn't about "my god can beat up your god."
    Everyone has a right to their own personal belief without being trampled on by others.

[ QUOTE ]
    tygger said:
    Guess they'd have to develp a Satan-Detector. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Yeah, we could calibrate that one using some lawyers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

We Place no Reliance
    In Virgin or Pigeon,
    Our Method is Science
    Our Aim is Religion.

Don't see any reason that the faculty of reason shouldn't carry us as far as it can. There are a lot of traditions (Buddhist, Hindu, Stoic?) which insist on using reason to it's limit.

But not further.

Science is the tool we use to probe and understand the time-space continuum necessary for our existence. The question is what lies beyond/outside our time-space boundary.

Someone once proposed a world of existing on a two-dimensional sphere. All beings were two-dimensional; they lacked a conception of up or down. They would be forever trapped on their sphere-surface. Three-dimensional beings like us could observe the 2D world but not the reverse. We might intrude upon their world, say by sticking an arm through the surface. The arm would look like some being suddenly appearing out of nowhere to the 2D creatures.

One might argue a similar analogy for Jesus, that He is a three-dimensional manifestation of a multidimensional God.

Flashaholic*

I think that the current issue for religion, speaking for myself, is that it is an emotional, primal force that can be employed for good ends....but is often used for evil ends. It seems that every politician in the US today refers to the "almighty" to justify whatever political goal that they, or their supporters, are interested in.

For instance, there are two ways to approach the Christian religion:

1. Jesus might be viewed as a deeply wise person who brought a superior system of ethics and morality to the world. He might be a person worth emulating today. His wisdom could be very applicable to present day human dilemmas. A positive force. The New Testament supports this outlook in many ways.....Jesus as a very human prophet who prized tolerance and stood courageously against a rigid religious and social order. This Jesus would not oppose the findings of modern science or view such as a threat.

2. A second viewpoint is a more of a fundamentalist outlook which seeks to bind all human progress to writings & customs which originated in a narrow, superstitious and prescientific culture. For instance, the fundamentalist rejection of the mountain of evidence for human evolution because it doesn't comply with ancient scriptures. Or the way women are viewed by many conservative religions as second-rate citizens based on the rationale that Jesus had no women disciples. The fundamentalist outlook focuses less on the wisdom and tolerance of Jesus & the New Testament and more on the vengeful, eye-for-an-eye attitudes of the Old Testament....a course that will result in a darker and poorer world.

My own viewpoint, as a former geologist, is that we need to be evaluate carefully the religious claims of gods, goddesses, angels, demons, fiery hells, heavenly paradises, the holding of exclusive truth in one's own religious sect, and the rest. These claims should be challenged in the same way that scientific claims are challenged....but never are in most religious environments. Only by availing ourselves of science and it's insights into the nature of ourselves and our world will we be able to tackle the age-old human problems and build a better world.

We live in the age of the Hubble Telescope, supercomputers, and the Human Genome Project. In other words, a rational and scientific age. It's an exciting, fascinating, and often scary time to be alive but we are learning more about ourselves and our world than ever before. This is not the time reject these new understandings and retreat into the dark ages.

StuU

------------------------

Ubi dubium ibi libertas:

"Where there is doubt, there is freedom"

-Latin proverb

stu, there is a third option...

3. jesus was, and is, the son of god, and came to earth do die on the cross and be resurrected for everyones sins. he wasn't a "prophet", he was the son of god.

and there is no "mountain of evidence" to support evolution [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

there might be evidence that seems to suggest evolution, and there is evidence that seems to suggest god.

can you scientifically prove that anything in the bible is wrong? there are a lot of things covered in the bible, and while there may be theories against them, there is no proof to suggest that anything being incorrect.

the bible is more than just what you may think, it also holds much information about many different subjects, and has been referred to as an investigative tool for scientists who seek to learn something about a new discovery.

the fact remains, that while you might believe in evolution, due to lack of evidence for creation, there is absolutely no "proof" to suggest evolution. in fact believe that there is more evidence to suggest otherwise!

i've never understood the big deal, why people seperate science and religion? why can't one be used to bring greater light to the other? scientists have been using the bible as a resource for a long time, and through science, we can discover more of gods world around us.

to state that "science" is anti-god is just plain ridiculous. i think they can (and do) go together quite nicely.

Flashaholic*

A group of scientist at a meeting one afternoon, decided that with all the advancements in DNA research, and cloning, that God was not really needed any longer. They figured someone should tell God. One of them was appointed, and the next afternoon the scientist was walking on the beach with God. He said "God with all of our technical advances, DNA reasearch, and the progress in cloning we have come to decide that there really isn't a need for you any longer". God then spoke saying "Well that is fair enough, but in the interest of fair play lets have a competition, before you make your final decision". The scientist agreed, and God said "lets make a man". To which the scientist stopped , and thought aloud, "We have made all these advances, and we can now clone man, so ok, I'll give it a shot. It was at this time that God reached down, and picked up a handful of dirt. The scientist following Gods lead squatted down, and scooped up a handful himself. It was then that God spoke, saying to the scientist, "No, no. You go get your own dirt!"

Flashaholic*

Thought this was interesting,

POPE JOHN PAUL II EMBRACES EVOLUTION
    Pope John Paul II shocks the Christian world by announcing that "Evolution is Compatible with Christian faith"!! How could this Pope so strongly and directly contradict the Biblical teaching and the Traditions of the Fathers? Is Pope John Paul II a Holy Traditional Pope or is he the Unholy Anti-Pope? See how this pronouncement greatly advances the cause, and the timetable, of the coming New World Order Religion. Must reading for Roman Catholic faithful!!

Read more here

yikes, that's an extremely long artical, which i have no time to read right now...

i would think that this article is referring to something other than what is commonly thought of when one considers evolution.

the bible gives no leanway about who or how man was created. god created man from the dirt of the earth, and the breath of life. for the pope to suggest anything otherwise is ridiculous, and should merit prompt and immediate removal from office. (not sure how that whole pope thing works anyway...)

i'm a protestant, not catholic, so i don't know much about the catholic church or how it works...

Flashaholic*

Rothrandir,

AMEN.
    If Jesus was only a good man who set an example to be followed, but was not the true Son of God, and divine, then Christianity is false, and we are still in our sins and without hope.

But because He was the Son and divine, we can have eternal life through saving faith in Him and Him alone. He ever liveth to make intercession for us, and His blood cleanses us from our sins for all who come to Him in faith.

Jerry

Hm ... so you believe and then will be relieved of all your sins?
    Nice concept.

Religion / God is invented by man. It is a concept. The purpose is simple and a dual one:

1. it will ease your pain and fear of life and death. it will give you a dream, a goal, and thus will make you a happier person.

2. it will make you controllable. it is an instrument to control and manipulate you, and this is good, as it keeps the beast inside men at bay.

In the end, a religious person embraces a moral / ethical code that is pre-formatted and has answers to every important question in human life. there is no need to think on your own about those terrifying questions, no moral dilemma, no existential fear. you can even get rid of your past sins! think of that ...

Religion ... the main instrument of the ages to achieve a stable united society.

Science ... science is used to gather information and to be able to understand things. I never could understand why something should be attributed to god just because we cannot explain it (yet).

I envy those who can still believe, for they walk the earth as happy albeit blind people. Once your eyes are open, you can never go back and life seems to crush you.

Sorry if my views are offending.

bernhard

Flashaholic*

The middle-east during the ancient times was a melting pot of religious ideas. The ideas of virgin births, crucifixions, resurrections were not original to Christianity and existed in many other primitive religions of that time.

All movements, religious and otherwise, have growing pains. They will often grow out of their early naivety and mature with time. The idea that all of Christianity is false if even *one* biblical story is not absolutely true...that is unrealistic. A mature Christianity can look back at the early days and realize that not all of those ancient tales were 100% accurate. Jesus himself stated that he was speaking in parables....meaning stories that illiterate and superstitious followers would be able to understand. The Catholic Church has never accepted that the bible was to be read literally.

I can not understand how these conservative religious leaders can vehmently condemn evolutionary theory as false and then go and accept an obvious symbolic story like that of Adam and Eve as literally true. Even the original writers of the scriptures were obviously describing these events in a symbolic way.

StuU

--------------------

Ubi dubium ibi libertas:

"Where there is doubt, there is freedom"

-Latin proverb

[ QUOTE ]
    nisshin said:
    Someone once proposed a world of existing on a two-dimensional sphere. All beings were two-dimensional; they lacked a conception of up or down. They would be forever trapped on their sphere-surface. Three-dimensional beings like us could observe the 2D world but not the reverse. We might intrude upon their world, say by sticking an arm through the surface. The arm would look like some being suddenly appearing out of nowhere to the 2D creatures.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Michio Kaku wasn't it? That was one of the first things I thought about when I heard my sig intially. IMHO, I do think science is increasingly indicating intelligent design.

Proof...? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

bernhard,

[“1. it will ease your pain and fear of life and death. it will give you a dream, a goal, and thus will make you a happier person.
    2. it will make you controllable. it is an instrument to control and manipulate you, and this is good, as it keeps the beast inside men at bay.”]

The fate of the unsaved man is worse than the human mind can conceive. It is described as being in a lake of fire. It is a state that lasts for eternity, and there is no relief.
    I certainly do not want to have that happen to anyone or me.
    Neither does God, who made a way, Jesus, so that man would not have to suffer that. God is holy, and no sinner can come into His presence, and cannot enter His heaven.
    Each is a free moral agent, and believe as you will.

In fact it does make me controllable. But that is to be controlled by God who wants the best for mankind.
    In fact all men (generic term) are controlled. The difference is who or what controls you. The depraved nature within you controls how you think and act. Satan controls the unsaved person, who thinks he has freedom, but instead is in bondage to sin.

The question is whom will you serve, because all serve someone, either Satan or God. God has made me a new creation in Christ, and I choose to serve Him. I now have the liberty to obey Him and to serve Him. All who do not have that liberty serve the devil.

[“In the end, a religious person embraces a moral / ethical code that is pre-formatted and has answers to every important question in human life. there is no need to think on your own about those terrifying questions, no moral dilemma, no existential fear. you can even get rid of your past sins! think of that ...”]

Only God has the wisdom, holiness, and authority to determine absolute moral righteousness. Man cannot arrive at that, as evidenced by the various moral standards of various societies; some of who believe headhunting and cannibalism are moral. Some have believed that the sacrifice of their children is moral.
    But the Living God, who created us, does know what is moral, and in fact it is for the well being of mankind.

It is obvious that God is. The creation declares His eternal power and Godhead. Mankind desires to deny Him, because it would require that they be accountable to Him, and that He has authority over man. So man attempts to rationalize and use various means, including science (so called) to avoid the fact that God is. Here is what the Bible says about them.
    Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    Psalms 14:1 <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Because God loves man, He has made a way for man to become acceptable to Him. That is by the death of a substitute. If one accepts God’s way then he can have his sins forgiven, but if not then he will die in his sins. That way is through repentance and faith in Christ. That is what I have done, and so I have peace, and peace with God. My eternal future is assured because it is in the hands of Christ.

StuU,
    [“I can not understand how these conservative religious leaders can vehmently condemn evolutionary theory as false and then go and accept an obvious symbolic story like that of Adam and Eve as literally true. Even the original writers of the scriptures were obviously describing these events in a symbolic way.”]

Not true. Adam and Eve were literal people, and the story is factual. There is no indication that they were meant to be symbolic. If fact if they were not literal people, then the whole Bible and plan of redemption is false. Here is why.

In the history of mankind, God has chosen two men to be the representatives of the human race, and to have headship of the race.
    The first was Adam. He was the representative and also had all mankind in his body, seminally.
    When he failed to obey God, Adam died spiritually and became at enmity with God. All his offspring inherited his nature. God created man in His image, but when Adam sinned, the Bible tells us that Adam had offspring “after his image.” Accordingly, all mankind is alienated from the holy God by sin. God has also said that the soul that sins must die. That includes physical and spiritual death in hell.

So mankind is hopelessly and helplessly separated from God (lost). Because a person has sinned he must die, and he cannot remove the sin by his goodness or efforts.

But God is His wisdom and love authorized a second man to be the representative of the human race. Since all have to die, then only one who did not sin, and accordingly deserve death, could be the substitute and represent sinful man. That second man was Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He was without sin, being both man and God, and could accordingly pay the sin debt for sinful man.

So the way is provided, but it is only appropriated through saving faith and faith alone in Christ alone. There is no other way of salvation.

Because Adam was real and the single representative of the human race, then Christ could be the second single representative of the human race. The principle is the same. Original sin from Adam, and forgiveness, for those who come to Him in faith, in Christ.

So you see, there was no attempt to make Adam and Eve symbolic, but they had to be literal people.

Angels do not have a single parent, and so the angels who fell cannot have a single substitute, and accordingly are forever damned. Man does not have to suffer that fate if he believes and exercises saving faith, but most will not believe, and will eventually be damned and cast into Hell.

God has made each man a free moral agent and he can believe or not, and his eternal future hinges on his choice.
    Jerry

kiessling, either god was invented by man, or man was invented by god.

whether or not god or religion serves a purpose is irrelevant to the fact that he exists. can i prove he exists? not really... can you prove he doesn't? not really...

either you have faith that god is real, or you have faith that god isn't real.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again, i hate the word "religion"! that word is so complex and misleading. you can argue that "religion" has many negative aspects, and you can argue that "religion" has many positive aspects, but what's that to do with anything? can you use that to prove or disprove that god exists?

i belive that god exists. believing in him or not believing in him, following him or not following him, that doesn't change the fact. either he is or he isn't. you can say whatever you want about religion, or science, or evolution, or whatever. but until you can prove that god doesn't exist, i'll keep beliving in him. what's this? you have no proof? hmmmm...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

i've never understood the arguement that "religious" people were fools, who just needed to believe in something. then by the same logic, non-religious people would be people who are fools, who need to not believe in something.

you think that i believe in god, it makes me feel all warm and gushy? i believe in god because i believe in him. i believe that when i die, i'll go to heaven, but if i ended up merely not existing, i wouldn't particularly mind that either. religion doesn't make me a happier person either, wouldn't i be happier if i was out partying every night and lieing, and boinking prostitutes? i'm of course not saying that non-"religious" people do those things, because most don't, but i'm saying that christianity condones these things, even though they might be "fun".

stu, once again, you seem to have no idea what you're talking about. jesus spoke in parables so his teachings might be easier for people to understand and apply to their lives. by speaking in parables, it is also possible for us today to identify with his teachings. i guess you didn't know this, but jesus didn't write the bible.
    the bible was written by people under the divine inspiration of god. and the stories are to be taken literally. once again, if you can prove to me that we aren't made out of the dirt of the earth, and that there was no giant flood, and that there was no tower of babble, and that there was no adam and eve, i'll reconsider my views, but you can't...

i'll admit that i'm not a spiritual person. i don't get all touchy feely, and i don't need to feel that my sins are forgiven, and i don't need to feel that death isn't the end for me. i believe in god because i've seen enough evidence to suggest his existance.

i'd really like to get away from the "religious" aspect of this thread, because there's just no point in dicussing the merits of relgion. this thread is titled "science and god", so i'd like to see more about science and god.

anyone care to provide some scientific evidence to backup their existance theories? doing so, i'd like to warn everyone to take everything here with a grain of salt. i'm sure that much information that could be posted here (from either side) could quite well be innacurate/outdated/or just plain dishonest (though i certainly wouldn't think that any of us would intentionally lie). i've heard some really quacked out "evidence" for both evolution and creationism. so please don't take anything anyone here says for gospel truth (sorry, bad pun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

kiessling said "Science ... science is used to gather information and to be able to understand things. I never could understand why something should be attributed to god just because we cannot explain it (yet)."
    to me, it's ridiculous to believe in something we don't know, rather than listen to what the bible tells us happens.

evolution requires every bit as much faith (and given the limited information to explain anything (evolution/beginning/whatever) it seems to me that it would require much more faith!

some points i'd like to make:
    darwin stated something to the effect of "with the improvement in excavation, we should start seeing thousands of ape-men" huh? i haven't seen any....

a quote pretaining to the layers of earth, and how they seem to have been formed not by massive amounts of time, but rather by a big, big flood: "...They have ignored the great inconsistencies in the finds for which a flood could account but not the evolutionary process. In fact, in some strata, a tree can be seen protruding through several layer which supposedly formed over millions of years.
    for more information and examples, please look here

and of course, probablity. this one always cracks me up. the notion that given vast amounts of time, anything can happen. look around you, and look how complicated things are. if you know anyting about biology, or botany, or anything, you'll know that everything is made up of smaller things. dna for example.
    ---&gt;<font color="red">please read this link!!!</font> it's short, and will blow your mind. link!&lt;----

of course i could go on and on, but i'd like to see what other people have to say [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

keep in mind that i'm no scholar about this either, and won't likely be able to answer all of anyones questions in an acceptable manner. and as you all can tell, i'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Rothrandir said:
    stu, there is a third option...

3. jesus was, and is, the son of god, and came to earth do die on the cross and be resurrected for everyones sins. he wasn't a "prophet", he was the son of god.

and there is no "mountain of evidence" to support evolution [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

there might be evidence that seems to suggest evolution, and there is evidence that seems to suggest god.

can you scientifically prove that anything in the bible is wrong? there are a lot of things covered in the bible, and while there may be theories against them, there is no proof to suggest that anything being incorrect.

the bible is more than just what you may think, it also holds much information about many different subjects, and has been referred to as an investigative tool for scientists who seek to learn something about a new discovery.

the fact remains, that while you might believe in evolution, due to lack of evidence for creation, there is absolutely no "proof" to suggest evolution. in fact believe that there is more evidence to suggest otherwise!

i've never understood the big deal, why people seperate science and religion? why can't one be used to bring greater light to the other? scientists have been using the bible as a resource for a long time, and through science, we can discover more of gods world around us.

to state that "science" is anti-god is just plain ridiculous. i think they can (and do) go together quite nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated Roth! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I guess this means a horrible fire-baked end for all the Islamics, Jews, Buddhhists, Hindus, Mormons, New Agers, Unitarians, Australian Aborigines, and Secular Humanists?

Maybe 95% of the planet's population will be flamed alive because they do believe as you do?? I am sure you have some sort of evidence to back up this extraordinary claim?

StuU

-------------------------------

"A religion that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by traditional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge."
    -- Carl Sagan,

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    StuU said:
    I guess this means a horrible fire-baked end for all the Islamics, Jews, Buddhhists, Hindus, Mormons, New Agers, Unitarians, Australian Aborigines, and Secular Humanists?

Maybe 95% of the planet's population will be flamed alive because they don't believe as you do?? I am sure you have some sort of evidence to back up this extraordinary claim?

StuU

-------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
    You got it StuU. Do you have any proof that it won't happen? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh stu, that's so sad...
    that must mean it's not true [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

in today's society of political correctness, some have a hard time with the concept that you might offend somone, or somone will be wrong. truth is subjective, believe what's right for you.

well, sorry. yes, i do believe that muslims/jews/buddhists/hindus/etc will go to hell. is that good? not in most cases! does that make me sad? in most cases! does that matter? not one bit.

what i personally believe is completely irrelevant to the truth. does not believing in god make him not exist? of course not.

i'm sorry that my "religion" means that you're going to spend an eternity of damnation once you die.
    but you know what the good news is? <font color="red">you don't have to!</font>. you have a choice.

Flashaholic*

Stu,
    ["I guess this means a horrible fire-baked end for all the Islamics, Jews, Buddhhists, Hindus, Mormons, New Agers, Unitarians, Australian Aborigines, and Secular Humanists?

Maybe 95% of the planet's population will be flamed alive because they do believe as you do?? I am sure you have some sort of evidence to back up this extraordinary claim?"]

That is exactly correct. Evidnece?
    God's Word.

No, it is not PC, but it is the truth. God has given man a way to Himself, but the vast majority will reject it and spend eternity in Hell.
    Here is a statement by Jesus.
    Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The reason that they will go to destruction/Hell is not because they do not believe as I do per se, but because they reject God's way.
    ALL those you mentioned will suffer it because they choose to believe their own way, and not God's way.

Jerry

Page 1 of 26 1234567811 ... LastLast