FourSevens        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any such thing as a GOOD, low current PR2-base LED?

Default Re: Any such thing as a GOOD, low current PR2-base LED?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Sadly, I'm not wrong.

Wish I was.
    :-(

Testing on my Sekonic DC308
    digital light meter showed a drop of
    more than a Full Stop.
    < sigh >

Same with my Minolta Flashmeter III

Wish there was a PR-2 replacement
    which draws less than 100mA current
    and doesn't darken with use.

_
    I think Newbie posted about that problem in a thread on this back in the day.

I haven't used them, but super bright LEDs has some lower lumen drop-ins.

Flashaholic*

I would like to give Superbright's PR2-W1-WVR bulb a try eventually. Nothing spectacular I am sure but advertised to run on 1-6V it may be able to get the most out of old batteries. Might be a good back-up for lights like the Fulton that have a dedicated spot for spare bulbs since it is relatively inexpensive. No telling how it will work in the reflector till you get one in the light itself but beam quality is not quite as critical to me for a back-up bulb.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

The Fulton stuff came in, and man... these drop-ins pull hard on two used D cells!

At 800mA in the old 993, and 1200mA in the new 993, they're considerably brighter than the 55 lumen Nite Ize, and nicely light up the wand so I'll definitely keep one for those times when I need to direct traffic at a major intersection, or guide a 747 off a runway. Haven't done either yet, but ya' just never know! But as a long running, power outage bulb for two alkalines, they're out of contention. I also think they're too bright for most SHTF use, and likely too little heatsinking for all that output.

Burgess - You are not wrong! Compared the used SMJLED to two unused, and there's quite a noticeable difference just by eye. A shame as they only draw about 80mA. Oh well, at least I'm good for the next couple hurricanes!

xx, and ZMZ - I'm also interested in trying the Superbright PR2-W1-WVR, but in a large reflector to try getting the most out of it. A low lumen, tightly focused spot works well for lighting an area using ceiling bounce. Hopefully they retain their output after some use.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    The Fulton stuff came in, and man... these drop-ins pull hard on two used D cells!

At 800mA in the old 993, and 1200mA in the new 993, they're considerably brighter than the 55 lumen Nite Ize, and nicely light up the wand so I'll definitely keep one for those times when I need to direct traffic at a major intersection, or guide a 747 off a runway. Haven't done either yet, but ya' just never know! But as a long running, power outage bulb for two alkalines, they're out of contention. I also think they're too bright for most SHTF use, and likely too little heatsinking for all that output.

Burgess - You are not wrong! Compared the used SMJLED to two unused, and there's quite a noticeable difference just by eye. A shame as they only draw about 80mA. Oh well, at least I'm good for the next couple hurricanes!

xx, and ZMZ - I'm also interested in trying the Superbright PR2-W1-WVR, but in a large reflector to try getting the most out of it. A low lumen, tightly focused spot works well for lighting an area using ceiling bounce. Hopefully they retain their output after some use.
    I like the Fulton drop-ins for the output and better focus but I suspected they might not be great in the long run category since they were beating the Nite-Ize in output to my eyes as well. I will just back them up with a long running bulb or vice versa,keep them as a reserve for better output when efficiency is less of a concern.

For ceiling bounce I like the 6V lantern style flashlights but you would have to reverse the polarity for them to work with the Superbrights.Some older fashlights like the Eveready Captain have fairly large reflectors.I just picked up an old plastic three D at the thrift store that was in excellent condition with a large reflector so they can still be had if you look around.The old Mags that use PR base bulbs might be another option to a large reflector since they can be focused and throw well.You would just have to prop them up some way as they are not great as tail-standers.I am a big fan of the ceiling bounce indoors as it works better than dedicated camping lanterns to light up a room in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMZ67 View Post
    Some older fashlights like the Eveready Captain have fairly large reflectors.I just picked up an old plastic three D at the thrift store that was in excellent condition with a large reflector so they can still be had if you look around.The old Mags that use PR base bulbs might be another option to a large reflector since they can be focused and throw well.You would just have to prop them up some way as they are not great as tail-standers.
    About 15 years ago, I did a mod named CSI (Crime Scene Illumination) using my very first "real" flashlight that came with a detective set including fingerprint powder, glass slides for examining blood samples under a microscope, images of facial parts to construct facial profiles, and a bunch of other cool stuff. The light has a rail on the bottom that kept the case closed (no pun intended), and turned the light into a carrying handle for the whole unit. I forget the name of this set, but it was one of the most awesome things made for kids.

Fast forward a million years... the case and everything in it is long gone, but the flashlight is somehow still in the garage with no lens, and the reflector's coating had almost completely evaporated. Found a dead Black and Decker wall hanging rechargeable light with the perfect size PR base reflector, also in the garage. Only problem was the outside flanges made the perimeter square. Long story short, I figured a way to make it round without a single speck getting on the surface. Placed it in the CSI, got some custom lenses made from another CPF member, stuck in the SMJLED bulb, and voila! I accidentally wound up with a super long running, cool looking 2D light with a pin spot that can throw 15 or so lumens halfway to the moon.

Funny you mention using a Mag. Earlier tonight I threw out an old 3D Mag LED destroyed by alkalines, but kept the head. Thinking of what to use it for I came up with an idea for a completely hideous mod which, if actually made, will be another emergency workhorse named "Maggie"... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMZ67 View Post
    I am a big fan of the ceiling bounce indoors as it works better than dedicated camping lanterns to light up a room in my experience.
    Agreed!
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

About 15 years ago, I did a mod named CSI (Crime Scene Illumination) using my very first "real" flashlight that came with a detective set including fingerprint powder, glass slides for examining blood samples under a microscope, images of facial parts to construct facial profiles, and a bunch of other cool stuff. The light has a rail on the bottom that kept the case closed (no pun intended), and turned the light into a carrying handle for the whole unit. I forget the name of this set, but it was one of the most awesome things made for kids.

Fast forward a million years... the case and everything in it is long gone, but the flashlight is somehow still in the garage with no lens, and the reflector's coating had almost completely evaporated. Found a dead Black and Decker wall hanging rechargeable light with the perfect size PR base reflector, also in the garage. Only problem was the outside flanges made the perimeter square. Long story short, I figured a way to make it round without a single speck getting on the surface. Placed it in the CSI, got some custom lenses made from another CPF member, stuck in the SMJLED bulb, and voila! I accidentally wound up with a super long running, cool looking 2D light with a pin spot that can throw 15 or so lumens halfway to the moon.

Funny you mention using a Mag. Earlier tonight I threw out an old 3D Mag LED destroyed by alkalines, but kept the head. Thinking of what to use it for I came up with an idea for a completely hideous mod which, if actually made, will be another emergency workhorse named "Maggie"... lol.

Agreed!
    Always nice when you can make use of old lights and spare parts I am pretty sure there is an old Dorcy 6V lantern with a giant reflector sitting in the garage somewhere that could be a future project for me for a 2 cell mod or I could just be lazy and use four cells backwards in a D to 6V battery adapter to run a Superbright drop-in or one of my old Lux I Dorcy PR base drop-ins.

Flashaholic*

Looking at the picture of the business end "1 watt" PR2-1WHP-9V on Superbrights site it appears to be exactly the same as the Fulton drop-in. The PR2-1WHP-9V is advertised to operate on 1-9V (there is also a 7-26V version). Just a random observation but I am wondering if this is the same drop-in as the Fulton? I think it may have been mentioned in another thread that Superbright is the source for the Fulton drop-in.Assuming it is the same as the Fulton that would rule out the PR2-1WHP-9V as an efficiency drop-in based on Bimmerboy's test.

Still looking at the at the low output PR2-W1-WVR from Superbrights as a possibility but I haven't come across anything else online that seems to fit the bill.

The LED board for the Superbright looks a little different than the Fulton (respectively, five of those aligned holes per side instead of four, lower quality looking soldering, cheaper looking LED), and the whole thing a little cheaper looking. Probably a different unit.

I'm gonna' pass on that one, but am still slightly interested in PR2-W1-WVR just to see the output vs. battery draw on 2 x D. Hoping it's a good replacement for the SMJLED that will suffer less lumen loss. Totally different beam profile from the shaved and polished SMJ, but if it works well in a large reflector...

As for the 991/U Anglehead, I'm betting the overall best drop-in is gonna' be the 55 lumen Nite Ize. Possibly the best combination of output, draw, and heat management?

BTW... I called Fulton the other day to ask if their "Magnabeam" and parabolic spot reflectors would fit in the 991, and unfortunately they won't. Diameter is too large. Can kinda' tell in various pictures too.

As for the 991/U Anglehead, I'm betting the overall best drop-in is gonna' be the 55 lumen Nite Ize. Possibly the best combination of output, draw, and heat management?
    I have been satisfied with the 55 L Nite Ize in the Fulton.....at least I havn't felt the need to find something else. Based on current draw, it should run for something like 60 hrs on a set of alkaline D cells, though I generally run mine on a 18650.

Flashaholic*

The LED board for the Superbright looks a little different than the Fulton (respectively, five of those aligned holes per side instead of four, lower quality looking soldering, cheaper looking LED), and the whole thing a little cheaper looking. Probably a different unit.

I'm gonna' pass on that one, but am still slightly interested in PR2-W1-WVR just to see the output vs. battery draw on 2 x D. Hoping it's a good replacement for the SMJLED that will suffer less lumen loss. Totally different beam profile from the shaved and polished SMJ, but if it works well in a large reflector...

Didn't see the difference but I may take a look at getting a couple then along with the PR2-W1-WVR just to check them both out.

I have quite a few older PR bulb Mags and be able to get a better beam with some of these drop-ins thanks to the adjustable focus.
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 02-28-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    I have been satisfied with the 55 L Nite Ize in the Fulton.....at least I havn't felt the need to find something else. Based on current draw, it should run for something like 60 hrs on a set of alkaline D cells, though I generally run mine on a 18650.
    The Nite Ize 55L seems to be the best overall value drop-in right now. Not too bad of choice for a reasonably efficient long running light even if it isn't quite the miser we are looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12