HDS 325 5000k vs 6200k throw

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has both 325lm versions of the HDS? If so, how much different is the throw really? I feel like I would prefer the cool white of the XP-l but I also want nice throw and I'm worried the XP-l will be floody.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I compare my HDS 325 lumens XP-L and the HDS 325 XP-G3 NLT, the NLT has the more nice beam color and may has a little bit more "throw". But it is not in the way that you can say the NLT has way more throw.
At all the HDS lights are no pure throwers. And with the XP-G3 it will also not to be a thrower. I am happy with the NLT the 5000K makes a nice beam. I prefer the 5000K because of the tint. But I still keep my XP-L 325 Lumens HDS.

In the HDS section of CPF there is a thread about the NLT HDS with a few compare shots between HDS NLT, and the regular XP-L and I guess also the XP-G2 (250lumens) version. Just check out this section for the NLT thread.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
If I compare my HDS 325 lumens XP-L and the HDS 325 XP-G3 NLT, the NLT has the more nice beam color and may has a little bit more "throw". But it is not in the way that you can say the NLT has way more throw.
At all the HDS lights are no pure throwers. And with the XP-G3 it will also not to be a thrower. I am happy with the NLT the 5000K makes a nice beam. I prefer the 5000K because of the tint. But I still keep my XP-L 325 Lumens HDS.

In the HDS section of CPF there is a thread about the NLT HDS with a few compare shots between HDS NLT, and the regular XP-L and I guess also the XP-G2 (250lumens) version. Just check out this section for the NLT thread.

Oh awesome thank you!
I just got the NLT and I freaking love it but there's some pretty noticeable color transition between the hotspot, corona, and spill. Almost blue in the dead center then yellow then blue again. Is your like this? And is the XPL version like that too?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Oh awesome thank you!
I just got the NLT and I freaking love it but there's some pretty noticeable color transition between the hotspot, corona, and spill. Almost blue in the dead center then yellow then blue again. Is your like this? And is the XPL version like that too?

Against a white wall yes the beam is different colors, in outdoor use it is not noticeable.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
vBnyzui.jpg

To my eyes, on my iMac with "Retina Display", the XP-G3 in the photo (original pic from Hogo) shows a greenish yellow corona. iow, like tint that is above the BBL.

That is an XP-G3 that was cherry picked by HDS for negative DUV.. so, Im told it is not possible for it to be green tinted, and that the problem is with my eyes and or monitor.

could it be that the flip chip design puts green light out the side, but by the time the hotspot and spill get averaged together, that the XP-G3 measures below the BBL, while still looking greenish yellow to me?

All the XP-G3 LEDs I have had or seen photos of, have this tint shift or Rainbow.. I would only use an XP-G3 if it was behind a diffuser, to blend the different colors into a more consistent beam.

this is how I see the XP-G3 tint rainbow in relation to the bbl
WCkKP3l.png

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
vBnyzui.jpg

To my eyes, on my iMac with "Retina Display", the XP-G3 in the photo (original pic from Hogo) shows a greenish yellow corona. iow, like tint that is above the BBL.

That is an XP-G3 that was cherry picked by HDS for negative DUV.. so, Im told it is not possible for it to be green tinted, and that the problem is with my eyes and or monitor.

could it be that the flip chip design puts green light out the side, but by the time the hotspot and spill get averaged together, that the XP-G3 measures below the BBL, while still looking greenish yellow to me?

All the XP-G3 LEDs I have had or seen photos of, have this tint shift or Rainbow.. I would only use an XP-G3 if it was behind a diffuser, to blend the different colors into a more consistent beam.

this is how I see the XP-G3 tint rainbow in relation to the bbl
WCkKP3l.png

I believe HDS uses a spectrophotometer as part of their integrating sphere so all components get averaged together

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe HDS uses a spectrophotometer as part of their integrating sphere so all components get averaged together

Everything combines in a spectrometer, it's true. Recently I took photographs of notes using a diffuse reflector with XPG3, really looks like white light. In real use with standard reflector, it is extremely difficult not to notice the difference between the yellow center and the purple edges. Here the thing is different - how critical is it for you. If the task is to get a good throw and contrast of objects, without taking into account color shifts, then XPG3 is a victory. If you want to have a beam with a more or less uniform color in the hotspot and spill, then you need to look for other options, e.g. version with nichia leds.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3YQKg0F/IMG-2624.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mg3K40QG/IMG-2632.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nLHgh0k9/IMG-2735.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, diffusion works well, but only at a short distance. If someone suddenly needs sheet music for mezzo-soprano, you can download it here https://yadi.sk/d/OteZ7JoFfCUqJQ

In my eyes difference in range between xpg2 and xpg3 is not very large, I can clearly see inscriptions on objects with xpg2 at 14-15 meters, with xpg3 I see just as well at 18-20 meters, but these are my eyes and my use in the city - overhead light + sharp shadows around

IMG_5091.JPG

If you need a thrower, then you need to look at lights with aspherical lenses or or narrow TIR (SF, Malkoff)

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not gain anything worthwhile from using an NLT or cool white light from HDS. I have tried every version since 2017 along with a legacy with p4.

There might be a slight increase compared to a 200lm hicri but nothing worth writing home about. The gain is minimal, but you can do what you want with your money.

Even Hogo uses other lights when he needs more. I'd use HDS for general use and get something like a Malkoff hound dog for further range, wider illumination area. Basically something with a larger head

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an XP-G3 that was cherry picked by HDS for negative DUV..

Kindly let us know how it was "cherry picked". Please inform the audience...

Or is this like in another part of the internet where you stated HDS are high in price because of government sales... and companies like to sell to the government for higher prices... when in fact, HDS gives the U.S. Government a HUGE discount when they purchase.

If you continue to play CNN, be ready to be called out.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have absolutely no dog in this race Jon but in that picture you posted I see no green either and I hate green tint more than anything.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have absolutely no dog in this race Jon but in that picture you posted I see no green either and I hate green tint more than anything.

Then the SF disappears, they have a 90% slightly greenish tint)) Malkoff Hound Dog Super with neutral led outshines them in beam quality, but it is huge compared to HDS.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has both 325lm versions of the HDS?

There always seems to be someone who likes to chime in without actually reading the OP.
"Someone who has both..."
As in what are the real life, in use opinions of that person.
I get so tired of correcting misinformation from one member. Nearly ruined another members HDS with misinformation and not so much as an apology to that member.

What do I always say about crossing beams?
White balance both in a camera and the brains and why photos don't mean crap? (and I'm using a Mac with Retina display... so what?)
Real use vs. white wall hunting.

Thank you those who read the OP and responded accordingly.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Monitors are rarely calibrated for color properly, and most people are not using (expensive) photographic quality reference displays, let alone the physiological differences between individuals color vision.

TL;DR ... opinions vary ;)

Do I see green in that photo (with my eyes and on my screen) and in most XP-G3 coronas ? I do :shrug:

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has both 325lm versions of the HDS? If so, how much different is the throw really? I feel like I would prefer the cool white of the XP-l but I also want nice throw and I'm worried the XP-l will be floody.

I ve had both and many others. The xpg3 NLT throws about the same as a 250, just a bit larger hotspot which to me makes it "look" like it throws further but it doesn't... I ve walked the distance.

The 325 xpl has a larger hotspot than both of the above but it's throw is shorter.... however as it has been mentioned it's nothing to write home about but when it comes to throw in a HDS I do prefer to have as much as I can get even if it's only a minimal difference.