Low temp CREE p60 dropin

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
Is there a CREE led that is inherently lower temp? I have a cheap knock off surefire G2 with the nitrolon bezel that I would like to drop in an LED p60 module. I have an old solarforce XP-G 290 lumen drop in that I could use on high for short burst and medium and low for every day stuff or would a more modern XP-L from sportspite or lumens factory be more efficient. I also see a seller on ebay with some old XP-E drop ins. I know the Malkov M61L/LL would be the best bet but I'm not looking to drop that kind of money on this cheap light for a spare truck light.

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
To clarify, do you want lower color (emitter) temperature or lower physical (heat) temperature ?

I am referring to the heat put out by the light. Even the 80 lumen P61L drop in heats up in less than 5 minutes, in the polymer head of the G2,reducing output greatly. I could use an aluminum solarforce head but my flashlight is green and it wouldn't match.

Malkov recommends up-to their 200 lumen model with a plastic bezel but there hefty brass pot acts as a pretty good heatsink by itself.

I was thinking a sub 1000 lumen XP-L2 would be ok for 10 second burst on high and indefinite use on medium(20%) or about 200 lumen.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Any low output P60 would probably be suitable then.

Ironically, most of the cheap dropins try to maximize output, even at the cost of heat (and reliability)

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
Are any CREEs inherently more efficient at a lower lumens? For instance would a 600 lumen XP-G on medium/20% ( 100 lumen) run any cooler than a 1000 lumen XP-L2 on medium or about 200 lumen? I see allot of sellers still selling the older XP-E Q5 or R2 at about 290 lumen. A 3 or 5 mode 290 lumen Q5 with about a 40-50% medium would be pretty handy. They have good throw also.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would just spring for the Malkoff. Buy once cry once right(it's a lifetime purchase and easy to sell down the road at very little loss if need be).

Plus, you might as well match tough US made with tough US made imo. It always makes me cringe when I see a cheap Chinese dropin in a lovely SF host(seams better suited to a Solarforce) but, to each their own. Good luck with your decision[emoji106].

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
I suppose your right. Even a decent customelite drop in will run almost $40. The large brass pot on the malkov provides enough heat sinking by itself to run at 80 lumens for a dozen hours in a G2. I read that the Surefire 80 lumen drop in gets hot and reduces output after only 5 minutes in a nitrolon bezel so regular p60 pills may get too hot.

However the last two G2's i bought on ebay, from China, are actually knock-offs. They were only $20 and came with a cheap Chinese 290 lumen Q5 drop in with very nice throw. A 3 or 5 mode would have been perfect. I like the idea of a cheap throw around light but even If i replaced the head with a $5 aluminum one the only part of the drop in that actually comes into contact with the head is the thin ring at the end of the reflector.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
adam38654, I have a lot of hours on Malkoff M61WLL modules in my completely stock Surefire G2 and G3 - and have never had any problems with either.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I agree with a Malkoff, the M61L 219 I have runs cool for hours and puts out plenty of light for most tasks