NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: New Rechargable AA with 1,300 mAh... Advice?

Unenlightened

Question New Rechargable AA with 1,300 mAh... Advice?

Hello all,

I'm new here, but I love the forum... my go-to source on flashlights and rechargeable batteries.

So I just bought some new Duracell AA rechargeables which tested at 1,300 mAH and 1.41 volt. This is after running "Refresh Analyze" on my MH-c9000 tester-charger. I then did a discharge cycle which gave me 1,300 mAH and 1.17 volt. A second package of Duracell AA's gave me 2,375 mAh and 1.46 volt (I take it these are good). These batteries are primarily intended for use in a Browning trail camera.

Questions:
    1) Should I return the bad Duracell's, or is there a way to potentially save them with my WizardOne? (I haven't tried the "Break-in" because I wasn't sure what settings to use.)
    2) Can I mix the good Duracell's with good Eneloops and/or new Alkaline cells?

I am new to this stuff, so please don't assume that I know anything... Thank you!

Flashaholic

Default Re: New Rechargable AA with 1,300 mAh... Advice?

1300 mah is pretty far off from where it should be especially after putting it through a refresh cycle. I would try to exchange them if it's not going to be a huge hassle. jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty4Kale View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new here, but I love the forum... my go-to source on flashlights and rechargeable batteries.
    Welcome!

So I just bought some new Duracell AA rechargeables which tested at 1,300 mAH and 1.41 volt. This is after running "Refresh Analyze" on my MH-c9000 tester-charger. I then did a discharge cycle which gave me 1,300 mAH and 1.17 volt. A second package of Duracell AA's gave me 2,375 mAh and 1.46 volt (I take it these are good). These batteries are primarily intended for use in a Browning trail camera.

Questions:
    1) Should I return the bad Duracell's, or is there a way to potentially save them with my WizardOne? (I haven't tried the "Break-in" because I wasn't sure what settings to use.)
    They are bad; I would return them.

2) Can I mix the good Duracell's with good Eneloops and/or new Alkaline cells?

I am new to this stuff, so please don't assume that I know anything... Thank you!
    Nope, not if you don't want to ruin everything.

When you put mismatched batteries together, the weakest ones discharge first. Then the stronger ones interact with the weak ones, potentially damaging both.

If any of the damaged batteries are non-rechargeable, then you just lost your one-time use batteries.

If any of the damaged batteries are rechargeable, then you just ruined your expensive battery.

If any of the damaged batteries are alkaline, then you may have just ruined the device that they're in, too, when the damaged alkaline spews goo all over the battery compartment.

So do not mix types. (Keep NiMH with NiMH, alkaline with alkaline, and lithium primary with lithium primary (Energizer Lithiums).

Do not mix different types of types, meaning only use batteries that came in a package together, or were bought together at the same time. Duracells will not play well with Eneloops; brand new Eneloops will not play well with 2-year-old Eneloops; 50-cycle Eneloops will not play well with 200-cycle Eneloops even if they came out of the same package.

Do not mix different charge levels. 2 fully charged Eneloops with 2 half-charged Eneloops will not work out for you.

Simply, however many batteries your camera takes, buy in sets and keep in sets. So if it takes 4 AA then buy in sets of 4 (or multiples of 4, like 8 or 12) and keep each set "married" so that they get used together and charged together. If one battery in the set goes out, then consider the set retired - find other uses for those batteries, but do not just replace the one and put the set back in service.

There's actually a lot to batteries and a lot of us find them a hobby unto themselves, but the paragraph above is the simplest way to get the best results.

BTW, good choice on the C9000!

Hello, chances are that your cell is bad, but you would have nothing to lose by trying a break in cycle or two, just in case. I would certainly try it, by using the setting assuming the capacity written on the cell. On very rare occasions I've had that happen and after some cycles and nurturing they've come to life. Do that if you have the time, and enjoy the process, otherwise, the quick solution would be to return it.
    Last edited by SweD; 01-24-2020 at 09:38 PM.

I looked up your trail camera and they are quite expensive, so I would avoid using alkaline AA batteries in it. Also if you are setting the camera up in a hot/cold environment for a extended (months) amount of time, rechargeables might not be suitable for the usage. So going with Energizer Lithium L91 might be a better chose.

Back to your question. The first pack of Duracell is bad so I wouldn't waste my time and send it back for a replacement. If you can find Fujitsu rechargeable where you are, they are the same factory that makes Eneloops from Japan and it's cheaper because it's not Eneloop branded. Ikea battery performs about the same as the Eneloop Pro's so you might want to give those a try as they are also less expensive than the Eneloops.