Fenix PD 35 v 2.0 battery

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to ask owners of Fenix PD35 v2.0 if flat (unprotected) batteries are good for this light.
I have PD35 TAC and no problems with it but I have read some Amazon reviews where some complain about problems with flat batteries or in diameter.
I have many NCR18650B, LG MH1, Samsung 30Q, NCR18650GA, does anyone use PD35 v2.0 with these?

Other: It's a different mode switch button, I've read reviews of UC35 v2.0 which has the same button where many users complain about the button being detached.
This sounds strange because the Fenix lights are reliable but I have read more than one complaint about this.
I don't know if it's a UC35 v2.0 problem or if it also affects PD35 v2.0
Any thoughts and opinions on these two questions are welcome.

LRJ88

Enlightened
To begin with, flat top cells won't work in the flashlight due to the way the reverse polarity protection works, it's similar to this _-_ where the underscores are the protection button of the battery has to reach past them to touch the contact area. You can, with a bit of fiddling and some luck, get flat tops to work by putting some magnets on them and having something hold the magnets in place, but i don't recommend it in case you drop it and get magnet dust all over the inside of it.

I've had my PD35 2.0 since shortly after it was released and i've never had any issues with the button detaching, it's held in place by a press-fit ring though while i'm unsure how it's attached on the UC35, looks like it could be glued onto a separate piece underneath. I'd be very interested if you could show me some of those reviews though, especially if there are pictures attached. I haven't heard of this before now.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the battery info.
Regarding the negative reviews they are on Amazon com
If you want I can send you a PM with links to them

LRJ88

Enlightened
Thanks for the battery info.
Regarding the negative reviews they are on Amazon com
If you want I can send you a PM with links to them

I'd very much like that, thank you. I've had my eyes on the UC35 for a while and i was hoping it was a solid flashlight, but if this is true then i'll have to reconsider it.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent PM with the links.
There appear to be numerous complaints about the UC35 2.0 switch button.
This is strange because the button looks identical to that of PD35 v.2.0 and generally manufacturers use the same (standard) components on multiple models.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using a PD35V2 at work daily for 7 months. The light is getting dinged up from rough use. No issues. I do think the side switch is too sensitive sometimes. I would buy another if I lost the one I have.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I sent PM with the links.
There appear to be numerous complaints about the UC35 2.0 switch button.
This is strange because the button looks identical to that of PD35 v.2.0 and generally manufacturers use the same (standard) components on multiple models.

Looking at it it seems as if it's supposed to have an internal part that the button is simply pushed down onto and held in place.

The PD35 is a bit different, The switch assembly on it is held in place by a separate retaining ring, see picture.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-12p....0-07-E__76766.1519744674.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.
But after this information I don't think I will buy the PD35 2.0
I don't like that I must necessarily use button top batteries, I have some of them from 2900 mA but I prefer lights that do not have this obligation.
The UC35 is beautiful but I read about these problems at the mode change switch, also the beam seems to be even narrower than the PD35 v2.0 (15600 cd vs 17700 cd)

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Later I bought the PD35 V2.0, I had a discount coupon and it cost just over 50 euros.
I tried at home the light looks nice but I don't understand why Fenix didn't use two springs on this light..
I have tried all my flat unprotected batteries, none of them work.
With the protected KeepPower 2900 mA the light works well.
Now I have to decide whether to buy one or two 3400 mA button top batteries or to buy some magnets to have compatibility with any battery.

On Fasttech I found various sizes, example 5*1.5mm or 4*1,5 but there are also others, can anyone recommend me the right size magnets ?
Thank you

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
I just measured the height difference between the reverse polarity plates and the contact on mine, the contact is 0.5mm lower than the plates, meaning that to get the dimensions you need for the batteries you'd have to measure the height difference between the "rim" of the battery and the + contact, add 0.5mm, and then add 0.5 to that to make sure you have enough clearance. Depending on your batteries 1.5-2mm should all be fine.

Alternatively, find a short coil spring and solder it onto the contact pad in the battery, make sure it's one that can sit in place and just flatten up against the contact plate so it doesn't move off to the side.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you
i think i will buy 1.5mm (height)
On the width do you think 4 mm can fit?
I just bought 4 button top batteries but I want to buy the magnets to use them only in an emergency.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few days I report my experience.
All right with the Fenix ​​PD35 V2.0, I use it with Sanyo GA button top even if I also bought KeepPower 3500 mA and I also have Keeppower 2900 mA.
The light has phenomenal performance and exceeds the specifications, I definitely got a good copy (good color).
Today I got the UC35 V 2.0 would be a PD35 V 2.0 but with USB charging (with a difference of a firefly level) according to Fenix ​​the UC35 has a higher throw than the PD35 V2.0 (15600 cd vs 17700 cd) perhaps due to a parable different.
Unfortunately I had a bad UC35 with a greenish tint and it doesn't even have the stated performance.
I thought though that I was comparing the PD35 with unprotected battery vs UC35 with protected Fenix ​​battery.
I did various tests with the two lights using Sanyo GA, Fenix ​​battery and KP2900.
There is a big difference in lux it of around 2000 and perhaps even slightly more.
This does not surprise me, I have used unprotected batteries since years ago doing tests with the old PD35 V1 and Zebralights H600 I saw that between protected and unprotected batteries I saw about 1000 lux of difference.
Very surprised, however, to see now 2000 or more ..
But the problem with my UC35 does not depend on the battery but on a bad specimen (I will return it)
However I prefer to use unprotected batteries, they cost less, allow you to have a few more lux and there is no danger of failure of the protection circuit.