Fenix E30R

pageyjim

Enlightened
Purchased a flashlight for the first time in a couple of years. I was a little worried because I see very little about this light. I was really leaning towards the Olight 2SR Baton 2 but I couldn't get over the 400 lumen step down level. The only problem I foresee and it really isn't a big one for me is the 30 lumen low level for the E30R. It is just a feature I don't really use but should be there in a quality edc imo. The dedicated battery in the Olight was a thing I could get over but definitely not a plus. Also this will be my first Fenix so I figured what the hell.

Weird thing was that I have had problems with my single cell 18650 edc's all in the period of a few months. Two Sunwayman and a Zebralight.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Frankly they just stopped working period. I usually suspect a switch problem but didn't investigate further I just set them aside and went to another. ZL SC600 first version. A Sunwayman C20C I got directly from China. That one was a funny story it never worked out of the box and it was too much trouble to return it so it sat on a shelf for a few years until I got it to work and it worked fine for a good time until recently. And I think a Sunwayman C22C Vin that recently just stopped too.

LRJ88

Enlightened
That's odd, sounds like you've got as much luck with lemons as i do. The Fenix should be good but otherwise aiming for something like an Olight S30R II or III works too, they're good and solid lights with good spacing.

pageyjim

Enlightened
That's odd, sounds like you've got as much luck with lemons as i do. The Fenix should be good but otherwise aiming for something like an Olight S30R II or III works too, they're good and solid lights with good spacing.

Yeah I am lucky like that a lot it seems lol. It used to bother me but it happens and I don't get upset about it anymore really. The C20C didn't work out of the box but the other two just never were quite right out of the box either. I was never one to send things back. At times I contemplate buying two of an item just to keep the best one but never do it. I am probably the only person not to be happy with a Vin mod also.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Have you tried letting someone else handle them for a few weeks? Sometimes the "It doesn't have the issue i try to show it to someone else" effect is strong with it and they do something to actually make it work, somehow, when you've been out of luck with it.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Have you tried letting someone else handle them for a few weeks? Sometimes the "It doesn't have the issue i try to show it to someone else" effect is strong with it and they do something to actually make it work, somehow, when you've been out of luck with it.

The last 2 times I gave or lent someone a light they both lost it so no lol. Actually the C22 started working again on its own after sitting around. I just can't carry it if I can't depend on it. Good idea though.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The last 2 times I gave or lent someone a light they both lost it so no lol. Actually the C22 started working again on its own after sitting around. I just can't carry it if I can't depend on it. Good idea though.

That sucks a fair bit, i'm guessing you've taken the body and tailcap apart and fully cleaned them off with alcohol as well and screwed everything in again tight too?

pageyjim

Enlightened
That sucks a fair bit, i'm guessing you've taken the body and tailcap apart and fully cleaned them off with alcohol as well and screwed everything in again tight too?

Actually I set them aside to do just that and did so just before you posted.

As I said the C22C was working again on its own so no telling if it made a difference really. The C20C is working again but it was tight and clean really. The ZL SC600 no luck. Once in a while it seems to want to light but doesn't. I suspect the UI on the C22C is intermittently faulty. I have seen reviews where that is the case. The C20C is just very finicky and has to be kept uber clean and tight maybe. The ZL I suspect the switch. I have tried different batteries too. Unprotected flat tops of course.

Thanks for the reminder of that though.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Received the E30R yesterday and I am very pleased. The beam profile is what you would expect with a large hotspot and lots of spill. The tint is fine for me I don't really like the warmer tints and no green as I have heard about with this light. Seems even smaller in hand than similarly sized lights. Can't explain it but how it feels to me. Deep carry clip is OK. I would rather it be emitter down and a little stiffer but OK. But this makes it usable on a cap. I like the spacing on modes and the UI is nice. Easy lockout and unlock which is needed and appreciated. I wish it had memory but doesn't bother me after getting use to it. I don't mind the 30 lumen lowest mode. Lower would be nice to have but won't miss it in daily use. Threads I believe are square cut and robust. Battery indicator is well thought out also.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
Sometimes it's easy to do everything else because "Of course i've cleaned it, i've always cleaned it first" and then forgetting that you haven't actually done it, a reminder is always good just in case.

I'm glad that you're happy with the E30R, you could see how it feels after a month or so again too after getting used to it more, the honeymoon period is always the hardest part of a flashlight when it works.

krkan

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacemnent for my Olight S20-L2 (it still works flawlessly). First idea was to switch to newer Olights like S2RII and Baton Pro but I really dislike having a magnet in the tailcap.

Reading the reviews, it seemed to me that the magnetic charging on Fenix E30R might work in a way that the cable-side port is magnetic, while the flashlight port isn't magnetic (i.e. it is simply metal).
Could anyone please shed some light? :grin2:
If it's magnetic, I'll probably have to turn to PD36R.

Also what's the word about safety of the charging port regarding shorting it with metal scraps, I remeber Olight had some minor issues up until the Baton Pro?

Thanks!

colight

Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacemnent for my Olight S20-L2 (it still works flawlessly). First idea was to switch to newer Olights like S2RII and Baton Pro but I really dislike having a magnet in the tailcap.

Reading the reviews, it seemed to me that the magnetic charging on Fenix E30R might work in a way that the cable-side port is magnetic, while the flashlight port isn't magnetic (i.e. it is simply metal).
Could anyone please shed some light? :grin2:
If it's magnetic, I'll probably have to turn to PD36R.

Also what's the word about safety of the charging port regarding shorting it with metal scraps, I remeber Olight had some minor issues up until the Baton Pro?

Thanks!

As far as I know, the cable-side port and the flashlight port are both magnetic, thus the light can be charged. FYI