Help me pick a cool Marfione!

nitebrite

Enlightened
First of all I do not go to Blade forums because they are just not very nice over there IMO.

There Are Marfione knives absolutely everywhere. which makes picking one for someone Anal difficult. I have been collecting EDC stuff for 30+ years now. I have some Marfione's. I wanted a new flipper with no nail nick. Blade under 3.5". Under $4,500. M390 blade. I just can't choose there are so many. I do not care where I get it as long as it is in the USA. Would you folks kindly pick out for me some you like? Hint: I prefer users, not jewels. I do not mind fancy but better take a beating. That is why no Damascus. Damascus is 154CM at best. This one is going to be my new EDC to go with my new(used) Hanko. I was just hoping you folks could link some within my parameters "you" thought were "cool". There are so many for sale, once again cannot choose! It is not poor little rich boy either. I saved for about 50 years. I figure I might as well enjoy my retirement. I did not previously have these things. When I say collected 30+ years I mean Buck, Case. In fact even a used one would be good if it saved me money. If not like flashlights that appreciate. I know there are plenty of other great makers but at least I narrowed that part down! Thank you

bignc

Enlightened
I can't offer any advice right now- i love blades but never looked past small shop fixed blades. I just wanted to congratulate you. On you're retirement, on having saved diligently (Many retirees i deal with in my practice barely survive on a small SsI check!) and on making a splurge!

Congrats!!!!!

bignc

Enlightened
Dang you. Dlt trading and smkw.... I like the lower bling options - just saw an all black anax w2 with tit handles at smoky mountain!!! And some other really blingy stuff that would be awesome too!

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thank you bignc. I always saved. I don't want his blingy stuff. I think it is too out there. I want a user. M390 blade no engraving or jewels ETC. Just a plain flipper of titanium or whatever. I do not like the black DLC because it chips off. I want a polished blade. I will try smkw I trust him. azck is too expensive. On the plus side I see my S30V sebenzas went way up of all things. honestly I found a knife I like and it is not even "expensive". It is a Viper Lille with the Damascus liner framelock in blue! A guy near by has the cheapest price around by far but his shipping is BS. I have to see if he will let us stop by. It is not a store but rather an office.

Yes, I know many did not look to the future and that is a shame. Even at a regular job if you put away $100 a month and when you get to $10,000 invest you could have done very well back then. I bought bonds. See back then they were paying about 15%! I am by no means rich but I have enough to live on.

On that note the knife I am looking for is not even 4 grand, more like $1,500 I think. Please look at that viper though. I know nothing about that brand but it is custom in Italy. It is a pretty knife and for the price I would be paying I would not mind to carry it. Although Damascus is no M390. I do not mind sharpening though. I actually sharpen on a wet stone. That Ken Onion machine is very bad news, YMMV. You burn out the heat treat IMO. This is why I do not go to Blade Forums. Too many arguments. Can't have an opinion.

I appreciate it, you two!

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thank you. that is on my list. I like Mick Strider too. what is Marfione about it though? Plus the price is very easy to swallow. Marfione prices all over the map. I see about $550 to $20,000! I want something to use, not spend too much. I thought 4 grand was his entry but I was wrong. Forget Viper. Pretty knife but they are just cheap production knives. Their most expensive knife is under $300. Most are $75-$125. That Strider will take a beating for sure. I kind of wanted more of a Matrix but maybe too much money?
smkw agr knifeworks etc. I am looking. Wish I was in azck league. Or knife purveyor. I like Damascus but it is not hard use by any means. It used to be great but now we have the likes of M390, S90V, ZDP189. A very basic William henry is okay but most are for posers IMO. Unfortunately most times I wore a suit was at a funeral. Strange, I did not go to that many weddings. that leads me to, there is not longevity in my family. that is why I am doing this honestly. Watch me live to 110 and run out of money! I do not think it is crazy, I use these tools. How many times have I heard people complain about their $5 flashlight? Yet they refuse to get even a Fenix.

bignc

Enlightened
Don't know much about steels and how they do finishes on this one but its as blingy as I would go- looks pretty cool to me! At SMKW:

Marfione Custom Sigil MK6 M390 stainless Steel Blade Gray Titanium handle

nitebrite

Enlightened
I Wanted one from him because I like his. I looked at many of them. I can't find exactly what I am looking for, or it is unaffordable to me. I saw one I love and it is not even very blingy for $13,000 LOL. Plus it is a huge folder. It might as well be fixed. I figured If I open my mind to all other makers there is an entire "world" out there. I do want an EDC though not a grail. I am pretty sure depending on whom the maker is I can get a great knife under about $1,500. I wil tell you folks a secret. Huge knives actually give me the jitters. Even in my own hands. I like to stay 3.5" blade and under. I have seen 8" blades on folders! I wish there was custom ZT. They are already nice knives IMO. I would carry my sebbie classic now that they are going up in value but S30V is way behind.

I was wondering if anyone knows how ZDP189 at 67HRC stands up toM390 or S90V? When people say ZDP is not as good I think they are judging about 62HRC? I am not a steel snob but I use this hard.

If anyone knows some good value makers for a flipper please chime in. It is good to look at azck but their prices are too rich for my blood.

nitebrite

Enlightened
That is along the lines of what I am looking for. Although 3.5" blade on a folder is my personal limit. I will do a 10" blade fixed though. For some reason I just have a nightmare about the big folders lock failing. I know a 2" is just as likely but it is in my mind. A frame lock is least of all locks to fail. At least I do not have to worry about laws out here. The only other thing is I find large folders hard to sharpen without scratching the bolsters. On a fixed you have the tang. I appreciate your looking however.

You know what is odd? ZDP-189 knives cost more than M390. M390 is a slightly "better" metal for knives. It is currently the best metal. Leaving production Damascus in the dust. I enjoy to look at it though. It is even a lot better than S110V! I am not speaking out of my ear I know about this. Well, I mean I know how much I can cut with them. Of course a lot depends on who heat treated it too. I would say Tony has that accomplished That is why I want his M390. He does not make the Damascus blades. Chad Nichols ETC. It is just for show/collection.

I actually like the Strider. It looks just like a Strider though? I could get a Strider for $450. Well, at least it is not "too" expensive.

Thanks guys Any more keep 'em coming!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the Socom or Sigil. No need to worry about a Microtech lock failing!
I ve got a few autos and no issues with any of em. If you get a Socom however get the manual not the auto.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a crash blocking in several Socom. Therefore, I have only Hinderer and Strider. Marfione has excellent OTF knives, extremely strong locks, especially the HALO series. And L-UDT also has a strong button lock (example https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/knives-by-maker/marfione-custom-knives/1016198.html)

Crash blocking? Like malfunctioning?

The Socom Elites I ve not heard anything bad about but the manuals are more popular than the autos. HALO's are single action and the other otf's are double action and will derail. The scarabs seem to be the more robust of the auto line.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Please don't hate on me. OTF auto kind of scares me. Guns don't. Although I am fine with side auto. I really wanted a manual flipper though. Any interframe should not fail. Unless you twist it to all kinds of abuse. I found what I wanted but it is long since sold.
TBH there is a Matrix right now for $13,000 I would grab if I had that kind of money. Although not sure I would even spend it on a knife if I did.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Okay. At least now I know exactly what I want. I just have to find it, and find a great price on a new one.

A Warhound flipper handle and blade both DLC. M390 blade, titanium handle. You would think it is easy enough but not really. The only place I know has anything even similar is $2,300. I know I originally shot my mouth off about $4K because I did not know better. How about like $1,600? I guess I would take anodized some color instead of the DLC. That is pretty plain. I do not think it should be so much money? I apologize if I am becoming a pest. My money has to last the rest of my life now. I have SS and my pension but I am proud I saved a little bit too. I don't want to spend it all. Just bought custom Reylight and Hanko too. I need to watch it a bit. I hope you guys understand.

Edited: changed "Hellhound" to "Warhound" my mistake. Had them confused.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
That is exactly what I had in mind thank you. It is out of stock though which is what I am finding everywhere. However than I became worried about what "some" people might feel. That is an aggressive knife and all black makes it more so. "war" is befitting indeed. I decided to tone it down and I also know I said I would not shop here. So be it. I have nothing against him other than prices are high. Please do not show it to me for less! Yes, it is used but he said "untouched". I was a little worried it did not say "sold". Turns out he has 3 of them. So here is what I got. Once again I am sorry I cannot deal with pic host at my age. I get too frustrated. I Get it Thursday anyways. I do enjoy this site and rightfully "should" give the $50 but there is always something else. Now my furnace just quit! Quite frankly I could use to cancel the order now but then I am going to really be in the dumps.
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/knives-by-maker/marfione-custom-knives/405829.html

nitebrite

Enlightened
You guy's are not stupid and I did not want you to think I am a jerk. Obviously you know I never got that knife. I did not mean for you to think I did. I did not lie to you. My credit cards security kicked in on it. He never notified me. I never check that email. I It did not show up and it slipped my mind as I was busy. Skip forward 4 days after missed delivery. Card was denied at Taco bell. Then I looked into it. R4eestored card but the heck with this guy. I did in fact get my EDC Marifione after all though. A local gun store had a virtually unused one. completely unused as far as I could tell. He was willing to trade it for a used AR15. I honestly thought the knife was worth more and I told him so because I am honest. He wanted the AR15. So be it, I certainly did not mind. It is a Warhound with a black DLC blade and Black carbon fiber over black titanium handle. I have no idea what it is worth but I imagine must be more than the AR15 I traded which was certainly used but not abused. I apologize for not clearing this up here sooner. I hope I have no bad apples or lost cred with you guy's. It was not my fault completely. This guy was either very busy or simply did not care. I did not get any email from him other than when I asked him why it did not say sold. Which was also odd because I tried adding two to my cart and it let me. I tried adding 500 and it let me. Odd. Nothing lost because I actually prefer the one I got. Only one thing. I did not realize it weighs 8OZ. I took off the clip and free balled it so it, along with the Hanko at about 4OZ is a bit of pocket drag. I wear ****ies overalls so not like I feel it much anyways. I promise you If I figure out pictures for free you will be the first to see. Like there is anyone else :) Now I am just sad about the furnace. I am getting it Monday. I hope you guy's do not think I am a jerk. I came clean about it. I just forgot about it. So that is the end of this story, barring any pics. I apologize I screwed up.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crash blocking? Like malfunctioning?

The Socom Elites I ve not heard anything bad about but the manuals are more popular than the autos. HALO's are single action and the other otf's are double action and will derail. The scarabs seem to be the more robust of the auto line.

Yes, the manual version, with light vibrations, it could take shape on its own. It happens sometimes.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Well, honestly out of all of them oddly I think the his auto's are "lightly" built. Which is odd because it endures a lot of force. I imagine the blade ejects at hundreds of miles per hour. Just guessing, since a bullet is thousands of miles per hour. I imagine there is a lot of force applied to the frame. That model does not seem as robust as his other designs. Which is strange because it should be more robust. As I said I do not really care for them though. To me a gun is legit defense. That kind of is begging to go to jail even if you are in the right. As far as just admiring it, I feel it is an accident waiting to happen. You do not sit and dry fire your gun but you will sit and deploy this. I am not telling anyone what they should do, just my own personal feeling about it. I will not own one. I like the knife I got finally. I am sorry for what I did before. It was not entirely my fault. I completely forgot about it until my card was declined at Taco Bell. No, I do not sit at the door for UPS. It would have been nice if he sent me an email though. Instead he jived me and said he had 3, He must have thought I was a scammer. I can't knock security. It saved my butt many times.