Eagtec D25A mkII - XP-L HI vs XM-L2 vs 219C CRI-92 LED

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Eagtec D25A mkII - XP-L HI vs XM-L2 vs 219C CRI-92 LED

I am look at the Eagtc D25A mkII light but they have 3 emitter / LED choices. I don't know much about them. What is the "best" and what are the pros and cons? I would prefer a good throw on the light over attributes.

Thanks.

Strintguy

Enlightened
XP-L hi will give the most throw, Xm-l2 is high output but more floody than the XP-L, 219C is a balance b/t flood and throw, lower output but very eye pleasing, colour rendering tint. Sounds like you want the XP-L Hi

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
illuminationgear

i'd probably do XP-L Hi(domeless). although it's a bit less lumens than domed, de-domed makes the tint a bit warmer and increases throw. i believe the osram is cool but i'm not quite sure.

you can also get a protected micro-usb rechargeable 14500 and increase it's output considerably, it will shorten emitter life a bit, though.

Last edited:

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
illuminationgear

i'd probably do XP-L Hi(domeless). although it's a bit less lumens than domed, de-domed makes the tint a bit warmer and increases throw. i believe the osram is cool but i'm not quite sure.

you can also get a protected micro-usb rechargeable 14500 and increase it's output considerably, it will shorten emitter life a bit, though.
I plan on using a 14500 usb battery with it. How does the D3A compare to the D25A? Seems very similar, is it worth the extra $20-$30?

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
D3A is titanium version of D25A. to me, the D25A(no battery incl.) is already kind of pricey. $75 is just too much for an AA/14500 that doesn't even come with a battery, so I wouldn't buy it. if you like the D3A and don't mind the price, you should get it.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I have finally decided on the Eagtec D25C or the titanium version.

How does the CSLPM1 compact to the XP-L HI? I know the CSLPM1 will have more throw at 10,250 LUX, but is that too much of a throw light to be used walking a trail / general close use?

Additional, correct me if I am wrong the XP-L HD is a Floody, equivalent to the XM-L2?

THANKS!

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
illuminationgear

Why would you go with the XP-L HI over the OSRAM? Is the OSRAM too concentrated in the center?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have finally decided on the Eagtec D25C or the titanium version.

I hope you enjoy it
to me High CRI is the only way to fly, it throws enough for my needs, and itsf always worth getting more realistic colors

in these two lights (I dont have ET), the titanium version is 3/4 oz heavier,
C4RA7IHl.jpg

I still like the Ti better than a black flashlight,
cant blame you for getting sucked into the TiWormhole, it is an elite club... lol :)

I would not put either light on my keys, too heavy for the ignition,
and personal preference, when I use my light, I like it off my keys

otoh, options for clipping on and off can be good too
YCTb9YPl.jpg

I look forward to your impressions of whatever light you get

enjoy!

desmobob

Enlightened
I just purchased the Cree XP-L Hi domeless. The tint is what I would describe as fairly neutral, with no noticeable color fringing when viewed on a white wall. The hot spot is fairly small but fades nicely to the spill, which has just a hint of a dark ring inside the perimeter. BUT... my new D25A is not operating properly and I am waiting for a response from EagTac in reference to returning it.

With a NiMH or throw-away AA cell installed, the light will not advance past "low" with a single-press when in Group 1. A double-press will get it to "medium" and then single presses will continue to advance it through the settings as it should. It also suffers from some occasional delays when switching it on after it has been sitting for several hours; sometimes not lighting until a full second or two after clicking the tail switch.

The setting advancement problem is not an issue when using a 14500 in the light but it still suffers from the occasional delay in turning on and has also exhibited some heavy flickering a few times.

I purchased a Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 at the same time as the D25A. It's a bummer when the twenty-dollar light outperforms the expensive one. :mecry: