Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium to Fall on Sunday

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Philadelphia\'s Veterans Stadium to Fall on Sunday

After decades of being the home of the Phillies and Eagles, this stadium will be brought to the ground at 07:00 on Sunday morning.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Philadelphia\'s Veterans Stadium to Fall on Sunday

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I watched the implosion of the Kingdome back in 2000. It was almost paid for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I had a lot of good times at the Dome and it still had many years left in it, but the Seahawks wanted their own stadium (instead of sharing a multi-tasking venue). Kingdome

Dan

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Well, "The Vet" is no more. Looked great on TV, especially with the camaras that were mounted in the 700-Level. As the bird flies, I'm only about 1-mile away and I could hear the explosions and concrete tumbling to the ground.

Very neat, but sad.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate it when useful buildings are torn down, even if they have been replaced by new ones. From what I've heard, many people disliked Veteran's Stadium, but I'm willing to bet there were many who liked it. I wonder how the average fan who went to many baseball and football games there feel. I'm sure there were a few tears shed. Farewell, Vet!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw it on the news. Looked really cool. The "wave" of synchronized explosions. Boy I must be getting old. Larry Bowa looks real old. I remembered when he played. It wasn't that long ago, was it?

javafool

Enlightened

I live about 5 blocks from the new Phillies spring training complex and I sure wish they would have built the da*n thing somewhere else. Inadequate parking, horrible traffic control that ties things up for miles both entering and leaving the complex. Seems our planners need serious glasses because they are extremely near sighted.

Add the little extras like spending $5 million to bring in reclaim water so the natural turf can be watered umteen times a week while we can only water on Tuesdays before sunrise or after sunset and it costs us over $15 each time I do. There are many little side stories our politicians really don't want John Q to hear.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I saw it on the news. Looked really cool. The "wave" of synchronized explosions. Boy I must be getting old. Larry Bowa looks real old. I remembered when he played. It wasn't that long ago, was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been longer than we'd both care to admit.