ArmyTek        

Thread: An alien from Toronto, Canada discovering the world of flashlight

Default An alien from Toronto, Canada discovering the world of flashlight

Hi,

A month ago, I didn't know powerful flashlights and cylindrical Li-ion batteries exist. It started when my $2 flashlight broke. I use flashlight to hike & walk in the evening. It get dark pretty early in winter time. I use a bike tail light (red blinking) attached on the back pack. But in front I need a flashlight.

I ordered a nicer one on eBay for $4 (Q5 LED + COB led for side light & blinking. I was puzzled why it needs a battery of type 14500 instead of AA. Also ordered 2x 14500 for $8 brand is Skywolfeye. And a Nitecore new i2 charger., because, regrettably, I learnt that my NiMH chargers will not work on those new Li-ion cells.

I was shocked when I discovered that the light was extraordinary bright. Even when using a simple alkaline AA in lieu of the 14500 cell. The 2nd shock was when I discovered the Skywolfeye 14500 cells are scam, they barely last for 10 minutes, then the light get dimmer gradually and shut off after 30 minutes.

Searching further, I discovered a whole world of LEDs and Li-ion batteries. There is even headlamp. I am now confident I can have adequate light equipment. But they come with a learning curve. There are several types of LEDs and several types of batteries. Protected, unprotected, flat top, button top, specific chemistry per suitable for specific usage. Then there is potential explosion/burning, etc. Then are are several brands, and also fake batteries.

The learning curve is quite significant. Reading blog articles helped a lot but nothing compared to real experience. I noticed there were some interesting answers coming from the posts of CPF forums. So here I come, to ask the experts directly for advice.

I am not a flashoholic though, so sorry in advance if you don't see me frequently.

Default Re: An alien from Toronto, Canada discovering the world of flashlight

Welcome Alien from Toronto
    Figure out how you will use a flashlight(s) and research here. Then you might need to open a thread with specifics. Members here are glad to help, especially if you've done your 'homework'.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Welcome Alien from Toronto
    Figure out how you will use a flashlight(s) and research here. Then you might need to open a thread with specifics. Members here are glad to help, especially if you've done your 'homework'.
    Learnt a lots since the last 2 days. Now I can decipher the specs of battery or LED :-) Thanks

One hint I can give from my humble place...never source batteries from eBay or Amazon...only buy from reputable dealers...others here have their favorite and solid sources...I like Illumn.com or Battery Junction...seriously...it is important.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.