Scared lady home alone please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frightenedlady

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, I hope you can help me out.

My lady spends the night at home when I'm at work, looking after the little one, and there's been a bit of crime around lately so she's freaking out a little bit. I'm in the U.K so laws on owning weapons are very tight, so I would like to get her a flashlight for self defence purposes. I've just dipped my toe into the plethora of lights out there and I really don't know where to start with all the reviews and comparisons, so I'd like to tap into your guys knowledge if that's ok.

my requirements I guess are for something bright that my lady can use in a panicky situation in case of an intruder, so something that she can pick up and go from night to day easily without fumbling around. Would a strobe be useful too? I want this to be able to disorientate someone if things get sticky. Also something pretty sturdy if she has to wallop someone with it.

also this thing hopefully won't be used much, if at all, can I leave it with batteries in, or better to charge it up periodically?

im really leaving it up to you guys with your expert knowledge to help me find the right flashlight, I'd like to spend up to 100 pounds and a UK manufacturer and vendor would be great.

thanks in advance guys.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome to CPF.

Since you're new here, we will remind that light is for illumination and not "walloping"

Thank you for your understanding.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's sad we live in a world that this is a legitimate question. I'm going to be completely honest an say NO light is good at scaring people off. They are designed to light the dark.you would be much better served getting a very loud alarm system or just a small one she can carry around with her. Anyone trying to break in to your home does not want attention brought to them. A loud handheld alarm will alert others to a problem. And if you really want to keep your lady safe and not have a weapon get a dog. You don't need a greatdane or a bulldog. Just a little yeppi dog that barks. Best thing in the world to keep people out and let you know something is going on.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on TGs statement 100%

But to answer your question and hit your marks

3/4 c or d maglite with eneloop aas and adapters

All three can be purchased for less than 100$

Light comes on, on high.

Sturdy enough for what your asking

You could charge the batteries maybe once a year if you don't use it much or at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like I read that folks in UK who use anything to hurt someone makes that thing classified as a weapon, possibly resulting in prosecution. A dog is good for your little one as well, in many ways, including less tendency for the child to become allergic (some believe).

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hi.
Visit flashaholics.co.uk and look through their sale section. Plenty of eagtac lights and sunwayman lights on sale. All old stock (hence the sale) but they are good lights. Rear clicky switches make activation quick and simple in a panic situation. Anything around 800-1200 lumens and around 20000-40000 candela is more then enough indoors
P.s. promo code CPF gets a little more off

Try to stick to single battery setups. A light that uses 1x 18650 protected cell is fairly low maintenance. Use decent cells and quality charger (budget around £20 extra for those)

There are very few UK manufacturers of decent lights and non of the ones i can think of fit this bill at all!
Buying from China or US gives you a lot more options but delays with chinese new year and cronavirus or customs from US make it a little impractical for your purpose.

Eagtac M30LC2 with an eagtac 18650 2600mah cell could be an option.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The value of strobe as a disorientation tool is still debated; generally speaking, it's included as a "value add" gimmick rather than for practical use. I wouldn't rely on it for anything short of signaling.
2. You will want a single mode light to eliminate the "fumble factor" of cycling through modes, particularly for a non-flashaholic.
3. Some sort of lithium battery will be your best bet - more expensive, but also much longer shelf life and won't leak. Both vital for infrequently used lights.
4. I really don't suggest any flashlight be used as an impact tool. There are some that are designed as such, but either require some training or innate aggressiveness. Otherwise it's either dead weight or more likely to injure the user.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If they have them in the UK these days, a 3D Maglite ML300 would be good at quickly going from night to day and in a pinch can be used to hammer a loose nail in wall paneling or wooden hand rail.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Get your lady one of the maglites as previously mentioned to light up the dark. Also get her a big can of wasp spray, the kind that shoots a stream about 15 feet. Have her practice (outside) with it. If someone gets into her house, a spray to their face will do wonders to slow them down. Maybe a baseball bat would be a good follow up after dousing them with wasp spray.

scout24

Flashaholic
This is why these types of threads generally don't see the light of a second day. Flashlight related only please...

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Maglite 3C cell ML50 running AA Eneloops in adapters would be a good choice for a light - these can be set up for momentary activation (function sets 3 and 4). Eneloops won't leak and you probably won't need to charge them more than about once or twice a year unless you are using it frequently.

Forget about strobe, not much use aside from disco and signaling.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Other then a dog, and I still say there better then any strobe on any light.when I worked nights an my significant other was home alone I would have her keep her extra car key fob with her. If she got scared or thought someone was coming in she could hit the car alarm button. People who are up to no good DO NOT want noise. Ever see what happens when a car alarm go off? Everyone is in there windows looking for where it is coming from.I don't know your particular situation but if someone is trying to get into your house and a car parked out front is blasting it's horn and lights going off he/she ain't going to hang around. There is something to be said about non lethal force.

b.have

Newly Enlightened
(Mod edit) ... "tactical pepper gel, blinding lasers, and meat cleavers" are not lighting tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is she a fan of cricket? Maybe she can practice her swing. Do something for her that makes her feel more comfortable in her skill set. You can be more aware of danger by paying attention, without having to live your life paranoid. C-cell maglites are great for smaller hands. Keep the mobile close at all times and always know where the exits are.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Getting further and further away from illumination ... and, as is also common, no return of the OP.

Guess this one is done :shrug:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It is so frustrating that people who post on this forum with an honest need or query, get their thread :poof:ed by people who may just want to be a smart***.

Shotgun ? Meat Cleaver ? Blinding lasers? Wasp Spray? Cricket bats? This sort of nonsense continued to be posted after CPF staff members had posted advisories along the lines of staying on topic, and within the discussion parameters of CPF.

FWIW, I happen to provide a wide variety of personal self-defense training - so I am no 'shrinking violet' - but at least I have the good sense to keep this cr@p out of CPF.

For people who in some small manner might have a challenge in the common sense department, do you really feel the need to handicap a discussion thread posted by a person who is in need of actual advice within the location context they are in ? In addition to the discussion framework of CPF, do you not notice that the OP resides in the UK ?
Seems like I read that folks in UK who use anything to hurt someone makes that thing classified as a weapon, possibly resulting in prosecution. A dog is good for your little one as well, in many ways, including less tendency for the child to become allergic (some believe).
Certainly a voice of wisdom here; it is unfortunate that this level of thoughtfulness & insight is not more prevalent. Someone who understands that brevity is often the clearest means of communication. :thumbsup:

-----

I could easily be even more specific on this topic, but I am hoping that the above points might perhaps stand on their own merit, without further unnecessary elucidation.

Good day,
K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.