Do Cibie Oscar and Cibie Oscar SC use the same housing?

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Do regular 7" Cibie Oscar and Cibie Oscar SC use the same housing? Or is the Oscar SC housing different? Does anybody know? Thanks, the internet contains so little Oscar SC information.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
For anybody else finding this in the future, I have found some evidence that the answer is yes. I'm going to try it out.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The answer is mostly yes. Just "mostly" because the Oscar line was made for many years, and there were some variations in the housings for special applications, but the regular Oscar housings will accept the Oscar SC light unit (lens and reflector assembly). Of course, you have to have the light unit intended to be housed in a housing; there were also panel-mount light units.

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
As Virgil says, the Oscar SC lens/reflector unit will fit the standard Oscar housing, the housings are actually the same part numbers. They will not for the slimline Oscar junior or larger Super Oscar housing. The Oscar SC panel mount units will also fit Oscar housings after you remove the panel mount ring adapter, again the actual lens/reflector assembly is the same part number as the standard unit.
It's important to note the Oscar SC lens/reflector is a fully sealed 1 piece unit, if you break the lens the whole lot is junk.
Also note the Oscar SC assembly is very heat sensitive, using high wattage globes WILL burn the reflector causing damage and loss of performance, I learnt this first hand with mine.
And finally, HID conversions will not fit with the SC reflector, there is very little room between the rear of the reflector and the housing.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
As Virgil says, the Oscar SC lens/reflector unit will fit the standard Oscar housing, the housings are actually the same part numbers. They will not for the slimline Oscar junior or larger Super Oscar housing.

"Oscar Junior"? What's that? I haven't encountered that model before. Do you maybe mean the Oscar+, which was the same 7" diameter but shallower, and used an H2 bulb instead of an H1?

It's important to note the Oscar SC lens/reflector is a fully sealed 1 piece unit, if you break the lens the whole lot is junk.

That's the same as most '60s-'90s auxiliary lamps, no matter the brand. There was a small percentage with separate lenses, but most of them were constructed with the lens glued to the reflector and/or the front frame.

And finally, HID conversions will not fit with the SC reflector, there is very little room between the rear of the reflector and the housing.

OK, but why would you even go to the trouble of hunting the rare and evasive Cibie Oscar SC, then screw up its performance with a so-called "HID conversion"? Especially if you wanted to avoid burning the reflector (most "HID kit" bulbs produce a lot more UV than legitimate HID headlight lamps).