Peak Eiger

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I'm looking to buy a US made AAA light for in much rucksack when flying/travelling for work. Im looking to get a Peak Eiger as it looks well make and I like the idea of the QTC to give me lots of variation in output.
Im going AAA aaa they are cheap and very available in UK and airports.
what are the Peak Eiger like Tovar's build quality, are they good and how reliable is the QTC.
cheers
KP

LRJ88

Enlightened
In my own experience the Eigers are excellent, great build quality and they feel like they were made by people who don't just churn out thousands of flashlights without caring about the individual ones.

The QTC takes some getting used to and you'll be using it for a few days/weeks before it's worn in properly depending on how often you use the flashlight. After that it gets easier dialing it in to the desired level and getting a feel for how it works, it's overall very reliable.

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
I've been digging through lots of old threads and there is mixed opinion, but overall seems positive. I don't mind the QTC been a little sensitive or fiddly, I guess that's part of the fun. Only concern is longevity of the QTC, as I'm in the UK it would be costly to ship back for repairs.
KP

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just a thought but the peak Logan 17500 can run off of AAA and also AA 123's 16340 etc etc. I don't own one YET but it would give you much more versatility in battery size.

Mgizler

Enlightened
They are fantastic lights. I've had about a dozen over the last decade. I now deal directly with Robyn the owner. We have actually become friends in that time period.

To echo what is said above.....they build lights with the highest quality and attention to detail. They are not mass produced by the 1000's at a time. Every time I order something, it is then built for me.

They have fully potted heads that are extremely reliably and tough. The qtc does take some getting used to. But......I will say this, my current peak eiger is a brass ultra and the threads are so smooth that it operates the qtc beautifully.
The only time I had issues with the qtc was when I had an oveready version of the eiger. It had a SS head with an Alum body. The threads were not smooth. And as a result, is caused the qtc to jump around a lot.

So with any variant you get, all alum, brass, or Copper, it will be fantastic.

My recommendation would be the brass ultra in cool white with a narrow beam. This light can run a standard aaa or a Li-ion for major output.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have used Peak primarily as my travel flashlights for many years now.

In my opinion, they fit those particular needs very well.

You can order with or without QTC (the latter is custom built) , and that is indeed the greatest point of contention. I don't mind the QTC personally, and it does add to the overall feature set, but holding limited and reasonable expectations of this functionality is important.

Note that the larger the bezel, the better that the QTC works, due to the physics involved.

Typically, I will carry a Logan 17500 (running on either / or, AA vs CR123A) and an Eiger backup (running on AAA, sometimes one with white output vs occasionally a red emitter version instead)

V0FsA1w.jpg

0IzBT93.jpg

n1Hycpy.jpg

Posted a few variations above, to give a sense of different sized options :)

Last edited:

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
They look cool in stainless, they seem very reasonably priced so worth a shot. Is there much noticeable difference in output and duration between the aaa and aa models.
im looking to not run on Lithium as I want a light we're im not worrying about safety off lithium cells and want to run on what is readily available.
KP

archimedes

Flashaholic
One additional note regarding QTC.

It is best to think of that as a "consumable" or "maintenance" item, kind of like a wristwatch gasket or a more traditional flashlight O-ring.

It is basically a fancy metallized rubber square or disk, and it will wear (and eventually break down) with time and use.

Cleaning and/or replacement is occasionally needed.

The actual mechanism is rather low tech however, and typically it would not be required to ship the whole flashlight back and forth.

Last edited:

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
One additional note regarding QTC.

It is best to think of that as a "consumable" or "maintenance" item, kind of like a wristwatch gasket or a more traditional flashlight O-ring.

It is basically a fancy metallized rubber square or disk, and it will wear (and eventually break down) with time and use.

Cleaning and/or replacement is occasionally needed.

The actual mechanism is rather low tech however, and typically it would not be required to ship the whole flashlight back and forth.
Im ok with maintenance as long as I can buy the parts needed and find instructions. Just read they have pitted electronics which is great given the reasonable cost of these.
KP

archimedes

Flashaholic
The max output is primarily determined by voltage, which is different than most (more tightly) regulated flashlights.

Thus "AA" = "AAA" voltage ... and therefore same output, different runtime.

But AA (lithium primary ~ 1.6V) > AA (alkaline primary ~ 1.5V) >> AA (NiMH eneloop ~ 1.2V) , etc.

That same exact "AA" Peak run on 14500 (AA-sized Li-Ion ~ 3.6 - 4.2V) will be a LOT brighter.

-- -- --

Small hand tools can be used to remove and open the QTC "pill" , although it is mostly all press-fit together and can be a little challenging to access it.

The QTC itself would need to be specially sourced though.

Last edited:

Kernelpanic

Newly Enlightened
The max output is primarily determined by voltage, which is different than most (more tightly) regulated flashlights.

Thus "AA" = "AAA" voltage ... and therefore same output, different runtime.

But AA (lithium primary ~ 1.6V) > AA (alkaline primary ~ 1.5V) >> AA (NiMH eneloop ~ 1.2V) , etc.

That same exact "AA" Peak run on 14500 (AA-sized Li-Ion ~ 3.6 - 4.2V) will be a LOT brighter.

-- -- --

Small hand tools can be used to remove and open the QTC "pill" , although it is mostly all press-fit together and can be a little challenging to access it.

The QTC itself would need to be specially sourced though.
i will see if they can ship spare QTC pills with the flashlight so I have spares when they need replacing. My current travel light is a aaa Fenix so think I will probably get the aaa Eiger, longer runtime of AA would be nice but it's handy to have as small as possible.
KP

Vemice

Enlightened
I am in a minority but my favorite is the Mule head for most of my needs. It lights up a room, garage or an area in yard (close range).
aRTGaaWl.jpg

If you want a bit more throw you can go Ultra head. Tons of options.
ZmqOBEbl.jpg

gravelrash

Enlightened
Kernelpanic, did you end up buying an Eiger? I've been looking at them too.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding body style (pocket, lug, key chain) and why?

Vemice

Enlightened
I just like the looks of the lug style however I just ordered a keychain version with momentary switch.
Also need to decide on metal, optics and led. I ordered SS, narrow optic and high CRI.

De-Lux

Enlightened
I am in a minority but my favorite is the Mule head for most of my needs.
The Mule heads are great but not currently in production to my knowledge. I believe Oveready produced most if not all peak mule head variants but its been a while since their last run. I've got a logan with a mule head. Great light.

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
The Mule heads are great but not currently in production to my knowledge. I believe Oveready produced most if not all peak mule head variants but its been a while since their last run. I've got a logan with a mule head. Great light.
Still available but need to contact Peak. Just ordered 4 raw Mules.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little heads up about contacting Peak, it can be as quick as 10 minutes or as long as a week for a response depending if Robyn is in, so just be patient.

I recently ordered an amber Eiger and unfortunately it flickers like crazy, but Robyn has done a great job so far taking care of me/it

De-Lux

Enlightened
Still available but need to contact Peak. Just ordered 4 raw Mules.
. Thanks for the info. Great to know. Might have to put an order in. Thanks