What's it for?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
As someone who could easily end up owning far more lights than I could ever use (turn into a "collector"), flashlights are one of those items I need justification for buying and keeping. For me, the question I pose to myself is "what is it for?"

Through this process, I have certain roles I want my lights to fill. Listed in the order of frequency of use, these include (1) walk-the-dogs illumination; (2) EDC for general illumination needs; (3) EDC for defensive purposes; (4) a light to stow in the car for emergency use and (5) a light (or two) to keep handy in the house for emergency use.

By deciding what role the light needs to fill, it's far easier to determine what is needed in terms of features and performance. This helps to avoid the purchasing of lights that have features that are little use to me, and allows me to identify what features are truly useful for me for that role. For instance;

The walk-the-dogs light must have a broader, more uniform beam for lighting up a larger area. I also want reasonable runtime and a means of avoiding over-discharge of the cells (my wife uses the same light for the same purpose). In this role, I have found the MD3-M91B with H/L switch running on a pair of protected 18500 cells to be perfect. When walking out into the back yard (surrounded by heavy woods filled with wildlife) I scan on high and once I don't see any "eyes in the woods" I drop it down to low, which I find perfect for the task. The simple H/L 2-mode operation also prevents my wife from finding a way into "programming mode" which she always seemed to do with a Foursevens Quark;

M91B-3.jpg

I suspect like many here, the search for the perfect EDC pocket-carry light has led to much experimentation. I want light and small, but I also want 100% reliability. I want something bright enough for outdoor use, but I also want a few hours of useable runtime. While having multiple output levels would be handy, the only light that meets the small size requirement with a multi-level UI that I truly like has been an old NovaTac EDC 120T. I really like that light but it drains a 16340 cell pretty quickly. The light that I have (for now) settled on is a MDC 1CR123 shrouded body, VME head with a M61L residing inside. While I occasionally miss the multi-level capability of the NovaTac, I absolutely adore the simple UI, utter reliability and nice blend of output vs. runtime this light provides;

malkoff-5.jpg

As someone who lives in a state that allows concealed carry, and as a competitive shooter for nearly four decades, the use of a light for defensive purposes has been a true study of mine. A light configured for this purpose must have a simple UI, single mode of operation to ensure the light always activates on maximum output without fail, a momentary-only tailcap switch and blinding output (high lux/candela). The role of this very specialized light is to (1) positively identify a threat and (2) the ability to temporarily deprive an assailant of their ability to see me (flash blindness). The light must be small and light enough to EDC with comfort, and be carried in such a fashion as to be instantly accessible. With the EDC pocket-carry light also on my person, this light is configured for this purpose only.

My current "fight light" setup is an E2 Hyper Throw head on a Surefire body with a twisty tailcap. Simple operation, blinding output, easy to carry and handles well with or without the use of a pistol;

edc-12.jpg

edc-13.jpg

The three lights above are examples of lights tightly configured for defined roles. They have the features and performance I prefer for their respective roles with none of the features that I have no use for. Through this process I have identified the following preferences;

• A simple, non-programmable UI
  • Single output level
  • If a low output mode is useful for the role, a H/L switch does the job nicely
  • Other than the NovaTac, I don't like changing output levels via the tailcap switch
  • For the EDC lights, no sharp edges (no love for deeply crenulated bezels)
  • Carrying two lights, one for general use and another for the defensive role, is far more preferable than trying to fill both roles with a single "do-it-all" light

I've found that a car light and emergency-use lights do not require such tightly-defined specification, but I still prefer something that meets my preference above. For my car light it's an old SF G2 Nitrolon with a M61LL drop-in. The household emergency lights are a collection of lights from various manufacturers that don't meet my needs for the specific roles defined above.

So in conclusion the mission drives the light specification. These are the lights that are the most useful to me and therefore the most used. I certainly own lights that are interesting from a "flashlight nerd" perspective, but they are not used very often. If I coud only grab a few lights in a "bug-out" situation I know without hesitation which ones I'd take.

I hope this ramble is of some use to you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I to am always searching for that one light that's best in different situations. "If that makes sense ". That I think is why I love Malkoff's so much. You need a car or emergency light. You got the m61LL OR LLL need a walking light got the 91 or 61 series. Need small and with throw got the E2hyper throw. So ya. Different lights for different situations. And that's what makes it so fun😁

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How interesting to read your thoughts NH. Also it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one to find single output lights the most useful.
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think single output lights are probably the best for most situations. Don't get me wrong my Malkoff's all have hi/lo rings but only my work light get a lot of use out of it. Also as a plus, if you use single output lights you can justify buying more lights for different situations 😁

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved this! Thanks for sharing NH, truly very interesting to see such a detailed and refined thought process broken down. Really neat to see how you have intentionally assembled these wicked legos to meet your narrowed-down needs.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am finally getting to this point.

My journey started with only needing 1-2 good lights that could provide more than my old 4/7's lights. Then it got to buy everything to help the community with runtime needs (which I think has helped many of us see a clearer picture and helps make buying decisions)

I have now gotten down to the current minimum of 17 :candle:...:D; thanks to many of you. I can probably break it down a bit more, but I'm currently good. I can now start enjoying the lights more. Here is my current use/thoughts (I think)

HD Super/18650 Neutral: Mostly for when I go camping and need to look around the woods when we hear the animals trying to sneak in.

General use: M361N/219b v2, MDC16650 N: covers all of my normal use (I get 6 modes from my Neutral and one of my 219bv2;)) My original 219b v2 doesn't function properly but has a better tint than the 219b that does work with H/L

Wildcat V4 N: has the best tint and is a unique light: Might not see a lot of use but just can't let this one go

M91BN 4000k/5000k: Haven't had time to use yet. 4000k is my preferred temp, but has reduced output compared to 5000k; Love that it works on single or multi cells (gives options). 5000k I am going to try as a work light (will most likely modify H/L ring for a brighter low mode when 900+lm isn't needed)

Variety of MDC: 123/AA in Neutral/Warm/219b v2: around the house lights and/or vehicle lights.

MDC 16650 CW: backup option for work light for daytime use (to pair with M91BN 5000k)

Lastly: M31L 219b v2: Plan to use in MDX head with modified H/L. Not sure what it's use will be. Technically not needed, but I want to play with it a little

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a well thought-out system NH! I'm to this point in my flashlight (might as well just say Malkoff) hobby as well. I will try to add thoughts as to how "the mission drives the light specification" for me as time allows.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm to the point where I could get by with a HD 18650 and a smattering of triple emitter edc lights in 16340, 18650, and 16650 sizes. Add a few bombproof zombie lights like my "MD1" with assorted Malkoff dropins, a SF C2 host for same, and a decent headlamp. I'm in no hurry to thin the herd down to that point though, there's some really cool lights I just can't part with. :) I do like your thought process though. :thumbsup:

Keitho

Enlightened
NH Lumens, very nice description of an experienced view of a hobby. I find the same thing in many hobbies: me and many others start out looking for "the one" perfect, do-everything device: camera lens, mountain bike, knife, flashlight, power saw, firearm, whatever. People with experience in the hobby might try to gently persuade the person new to the pursuit that there are many different tools that are each optimized for different kinds of tasks, and that the do-everything versions of those tools don't do any particular task very well; or, they only do one task well while compromising greatly in the other applications. So, with flashlights, as with many other hobbies, I've tried the do-everything devices for awhile, and then (re-)learned for myself that I really want dedicated tools for specific jobs. I gravitate towards single-mode or 2-mode flashlights (or lights that can be programmed to act like single-mode or 2-mode), I don't use flashlights that are also chargers and power banks, and I have different lights for cycling, work, the garage, the living room, the car, the bedroom, etc.

And, in the past 3 days I've ridden 3 different bikes for different conditions, used several different prime camera lenses, 4 different knives, etc., etc.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's off of a SF. I forget the name off the top of my head but lumens factory just came out with them. I'm trying to resist😁

NH Lumens

Enlightened
It's off of a SF. I forget the name off the top of my head but lumens factory just came out with them. I'm trying to resist

Its a twisty from the original SF Tactician that I found in a forum classified section. As TG stated above, LF now has a McClicky version which I'll be buying for another light;

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/itm/223897480533[/FONT]

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a twisty from the original SF Tactician that I found in a forum classified section. As TG stated above, LF now has a McClicky version which I'll be buying for another light;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223897480533

Nice, I may need a couple of those.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Nice, I may need a couple of those.

Mine arrived today and it's good-to-go. I like the SF twisty but the electrical contact is inconsistent. With the McClicky in the LF unit, it's very consistent and requires less effort. I'll grab a few shots this weekend, but it's staying on my light for sure.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
A couple of photos of the Lumens Factory SF Tactician tailcap clone;

lightsaber-1.jpg

lightsaber-2.jpg

For this application, I modified the McClicky for momentary-only operation. Additionally, I used a Prometheus tailcap boot that has an internal nub that can be trimmed to custom fit the boot-to-switch contact. The final result is a switch with much better tactile feel than the original SF Tactician twisty, which I found the electrical contact somewhat iffy. The McClicky provides a smooth and consistent press-of-the switch and no-flicker operation.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good NH. I like the Prometheus boot[emoji106].

I have 2 of the OEM Tactician tailcaps but, I may have to try the LF ones just for a Clicky option. I wish a McClicky would fit in the SF cap though as I personally don't like mixing Hong Kong knock off with American craftsmanship(that's why most of my LF stuff is for sale).

I might see how hard it would be to machine an OEM SF cap to fit a standard McClicky.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I might see how hard it would be to machine an OEM SF cap to fit a standard McClicky.

It could probably be done with a drill press and then tapping to fit the McClicky thread. But may not be worth the time and effort, and the risk that it may not work out as planned.

I'm no fan of Chinese clones either but the McClicky switch in a decent clone tailcap is far more functional. I purchased the SF Tactician tailcap second-hand and it was essentially nonfunctional - would not make contact. I had to trim the plastic retaining clip with a drill bit to disassemble and resurface the aluminum contact disc with a drill and diamond hone to make it work again. It worked for a while then started getting funky again. I don't think the SF twisties stand up to higher current very well.

When LF released the clone with a genuine McClicky, it was a no-brainer. The light now works perfectly with no flicker or dimming. I'll be buying more.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could probably be done with a drill press and then tapping to fit the McClicky thread. But may not be worth the time and effort, and the risk that it may not work out as planned.

I'm no fan of Chinese clones either but the McClicky switch in a decent clone tailcap is far more functional. I purchased the SF Tactician tailcap second-hand and it was essentially nonfunctional - would not make contact. I had to trim the plastic retaining clip with a drill bit to disassemble and resurface the aluminum contact disc with a drill and diamond hone to make it work again. It worked for a while then started getting funky again. I don't think the SF twisties stand up to higher current very well.

When LF released the clone with a genuine McClicky, it was a no-brainer. The light now works perfectly with no flicker or dimming. I'll be buying more.
I would have a friend with a lathe and milling machine do it for me(with my help) if I attempt it. You are probably right though, it may not be worth the risk.

I think you may have just got a lemon sir. Both of my OEM Tactician tailcaps work perfectly. Aside from standard maintenance(cleaning with iso, relube threads and O-rings with 760G, & application of Deoxit) no issues what so ever. I don't use them a ton though so, hopefully the hold up in the long run.

Yeah, I'll probably get one down the road if I don't get around to machining a stocker as I would like a Clicky tailcap in this style.

I plan to email you too NH to chat but, wont have time for a couple of weeks[emoji106].

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited: