Amazon Kindle 7th gen. Replace battery or get new Kindle?

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Hey all;
I've got a 5yr old Kindle 7th gen. The OEM battery isn't holding its charge very well anymore (as expected).
I am trying to decide whether to replace the battery, or the entire Kindle.
A Google search for the battery led me to what appears to be an excellent source for the battery: newpower99.c0m. The battery is $40, and comes with tools. Their video was very good, so I think I would be able to complete the task without much trouble.
The big question is whether or not the replacement battery is of good quality and is safe.
I have read that most (if not all) of the replacement lithium batteries don't meet OEM specs; specifically they don't have a temperature sensor. I'm not sure this is an issue for a Kindle, but I suppose it could be if the sensor is used to prevent over-charging /overheating.
But my real concern is that the replacement battery will not be fresh - will have been shelved for 2+ years - and thus will be not much better than the old battery in my Kindle now.
I have had bad experience with replacement batteries - especially for older devices. It seems that since the OEM no longer manufactures the battery, these replacements are produced by no-name companies (in China, of course).
While Newpower99.com offers a 1yr warranty on the battery, I have read some poor reviews, and honestly, don't feel all that confident.

I can buy a bran-new Kindle for $65 from Amazon. So, the price difference is only $25 between the replacement battery and a bran-new Kindle.
Sure, I can buy a battery for much less than the $40 from Newpower99.com, but I would feel even less confident with one of those.

So, what you say?
Thanks
FW

Edit: Found a less expensive battery from 'batteryship.com' for $22.20. Probably same battery as Newpower99.com charges $40 for.

Last edited:

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
I decided to order the replacement battery from Batteryship.com. Great customer service, even before my order was placed.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's an interesting conundrum, lots of possibilities there; the Black Friday/Prime Day/holiday event price [including Valentine's] of the current base Kindle is only $65, which might be cutting it close versus the expense and effort of replacing a battery. If you don't need to read outdoors, the much more capable and full-featured Kindle HD 7's event price is only $30, refurb $40, list $50, but that depends on your application.

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
The replacement battery is on the way. It cost me only $22, and if I am successful in replacing, I will have saved one Kindle from the trash heap. It's still working perfectly (except for short battery life), and I really don't need the built-in light that comes with even the base model now. If, on the other hand, the new battery turns out to be a dud, then I'll return it for a refund (rather than replacement), and buy the new Kindle.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much better to keep the one you have working. Especially if you have books lined up to read (which won't work in a new kindle).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Much better to keep the one you have working. Especially if you have books lined up to read (which won't work in a new kindle).

Not how it works; your Kindle library exists on anything that can access a browser or has the app, you can read your books on your phone, somebody else's tablet, a computer at work, etc. The Kindle reader is unique in that it is a device with no internet connectivity that still accesses your library [through a proprietary cell data connection,] so even if you aren't paying for internet access of any kind, you still can still read books (though you'll still need to access the internet somewhere to browse/buy books.)

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not how it works; your Kindle library exists on anything that can access a browser or has the app, you can read your books on your phone, somebody else's tablet, a computer at work, etc. The Kindle reader is unique in that it is a device with no internet connectivity that still accesses your library [through a proprietary cell data connection,] so even if you aren't paying for internet access of any kind, you still can still read books (though you'll still need to access the internet somewhere to browse/buy books.)
I just got another kindle and now have two kindle paperwhites that are active - so I know how it works. When I borrow kindle books, it asks me if I want to download to kindle 2 or kindle 3 (1 & 2 are long gone o.b.e.). You have to choose which one you will read it on. They will only work on the one you choose.

If I wanted, when downloading them, I could download a kindle 2 and then another kindle 3 - and of course saving them in different directories so as to not get them confused. I don't use kindle 2 anymore for all intents and purposes as there is a small screen crack which is really nothing - thus the new one. And I still have unread books for k2 - so I'll use it again eventually.

Both of my kindles are always in airplane mode. They connect to the internet once, to establish them to the system (get identified as kindle # __). That's it. When I borrow books they don't expire. I borrow them and turn right around and return them - so there's no wait time for the next person when I get one.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yes, a borrowed book can only exist on one device, but if the object is to not pay anything, you would just send it to the free app on your preexisting phone/tablet/computer, there'd be no reason to buy a dedicated reading device.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery on my 10th gen paperwhite was feeling it's oats. Got the newpower99 Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation Battery Replacement Kit from Amazon. Comes with the tool, dvd (same as the yt video). Charging her up right now.

I could tell the battery was draining pretty quickly through only a couple books..., on it's last legs.

I had an itty bitty piece of the pry bar left after separating the cover from the case back (not as easy as the video depicts, and you can see them jump ahead in the video when they separate the case back - from personal experience it's not as easy as the video depicts ) - which I needed to get the battery out ( re: pry bar ), which is held in there with a large amount of sticker / glue, and the old battery that was removed is a crumpled up mess it was so hard to get out, bending it and creasing it out of it's glued position. I ended up using a finger nail clipper handle edge to open the case toward the end after most of the edges of the supplied pry bar broke off.

Now that I've done it - the next time will be cake and pie. [ piece of... and easy as... ]

There's an ultra thin gasket that you see as you pry it open - and after installation and snapping it back together you can't tell that it's been opened - looking closely at the seal.

Cooking with oil now.

:D