Broken switch on arc 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coby1man

Newly Enlightened
after much contemplation I got my first real light the arc 4 second. The only other serious flashlight purchases till then have been a few arc aaa's.

my problem is that about an hour ago while playing with it I dropped it from about three feet in the air onto my wooden tile floor. Basically it simply turned on and didn't respond to any clicks after that.

I opened the tail cap, and upon visual inspection the spring holder seemed to be slightly bent but reshaping them so the spring sit correctly did not seem to help.

what I don't understand is why the flashlight physically seems to be working but no longer functions correctly. Before the drop it would do everything without a hitch ( switch levels, go into semi tac. etc)

anyway if anyone could advise me on what I should do it would be much appreciated.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it sounds like the switch is broken, and it's in emergency mode, where it's locked on, unless you break the ground path.

unfortunately, it seems that while the arc4 switching mechanism is much more robust in every way compared to a mechanical switch, it's susceptable when dropped straight on its end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might want to contact peter gransee... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
it sounds like the switch is broken, and it's in emergency mode, where it's locked on, unless you break the ground path.

unfortunately, it seems that while the arc4 switching mechanism is much more robust in every way compared to a mechanical switch, it's susceptable when dropped straight on its end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this really sucks. I'm hoping the new tailcap design helps this. I have not heard of any Arc4's surviving a fall.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this really sucks. I'm hoping the new tailcap design helps this. I have not heard of any Arc4's surviving a fall.

[/ QUOTE ]
They can't survive any kind of fall? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
they survive most falls very well, but a direct drop onto the tailend can push the battery forward, and crush the switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I have not heard of any Arc4's surviving a fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, this is the results of posts like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Arc4 regularly survives falls. But not everyone is going to come on the CPF and post everytime they drop their Arc4 and it still works. Making assumptions on biased data produces biased results.

The Arc4's CG is quite close to the center of the length. Using a basic understanding of how objects fall, average drop distances in real life and how a flashlight is typically orientated before free fall, most falls are easily survived because either the bezel strikes first or the side of the head slaps against the ground first.

Yes, the Arc4 is more likely to suffer damage if you first orientate it so the button is facing down before you drop it. A bezel down fall may also cause damage at much higher height because of "battery projectile phenomenon". Most falls do not have that benefit however. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The tail shroud option does have the effect of shrouding the button. This will further reduce sensitivity to some types of falls.

There has been absolutely no cases reported where an Arc4 was dropped and the person no longer could get it to light.

If you ever drop your Arc4 and it stops working, we will replace it under the lifetime warranty. To date we have had 2 people send in Arc4's that had broken switches (they still produced light but the modes did not work). I don't think they were the only 2 people that have ever dropped their Arc4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I have not heard of any Arc4's surviving a fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, this is the results of posts like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Arc4 regularly survives falls. But not everyone is going to come on the CPF and post everytime they drop their Arc4 and it still works. Making assumptions on biased data produces biased results.

The Arc4's CG is quite close to the center of the length. Using a basic understanding of how objects fall, average drop distances in real life and how a flashlight is typically orientated before free fall, most falls are easily survived because either the bezel strikes first or the side of the head slaps against the ground first.

Yes, the Arc4 is more likely to suffer damage if you first orientate it so the button is facing down before you drop it. A bezel down fall may also cause damage at much higher height because of "battery projectile phenomenon". Most falls do not have that benefit however. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The tail shroud option does have the effect of shrouding the button. This will further reduce sensitivity to some types of falls.

There has been absolutely no cases reported where an Arc4 was dropped and the person no longer could get it to light.

If you ever drop your Arc4 and it stops working, we will replace it under the lifetime warranty. To date we have had 2 people send in Arc4's that had broken switches (they still produced light but the modes did not work). I don't think they were the only 2 people that have ever dropped their Arc4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I see. Point taken. I should have said "not survived a fall where it landed on the tailcap". Again, I'm not worrying too too much about it, since the tailcap will take care of this I believe. If I had find a bright side of this, at least the light does in fact produce light after the fall. Not exactly the best situation having a busted switch, however it's nice that there is some sort of light as a result of the fall.

fuelblender

Enlightened
How does the durability of the ARC4 compare to the LSH-P when dropped on the tail switch? Regardless, I'm for sure going to purchase a switch guard for the ARC4 whether or not it substantially reduces switch damage. Am I to assume that by adding the switch guard, the CG will be affected?

I still love the ARC4!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a machine repairman at one of the big three and carry my Arc4+ using the pocket clip attached to the outside of a breast pocket on my coveralls. I've been carring it like that since I got it over a month ago and haven't dropped it yet but the day will come I'm sure.

I normally use it for a quick look-see when my toolbox with 2D MagLite is elsewhere or just watching something cycle.

If it comes to getting in there with dirt, oil, grease, etc., I use the MagLite. If you drop it the worst that can happen is a broken bulb.

I still love my Arc4+ even if it can't take certain type of hit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's powerful and always with me. You can't hang a MagLite with a pocket clip from a breast pocket! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
If I were the proud owner of the coveted Arc 4x, I'd think very carefully about putting the light into EDC service until the switch guard is available.

Even so, speaking as one of the two people Peter referenced in his post above, I want to say that I think that the Arc 4+ is the most awesome production EDC light I've seen. It does what it does flawlessly. And if there is a vulnerability to drops, then it's great ot know that Peter and Arc are there to save the day.

If anyone reading this is on the fence about buying the Arc 4, my advice would be to give in to the urge. You won't regret your decision.

ambler

Newly Enlightened
Just for the sake of balance...

My Arc4+ second has survived a number of falls, including one directly onto the switch, from various heights without any problem at all.

KingSmono

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ambler said:
Just for the sake of balance...

My Arc4+ second has survived a number of falls, including one directly onto the switch, from various heights without any problem at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to go Butterfingers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

JK, good to hear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Smono

cy

Flashaholic
The Arc4 switch design is engineering marvel. You can feel the love/sweat Peter put into this elegant design. Cheers to Peter for taking the risk, putting a bleeding edge design into production.

You can test, test, test, and test. But the only way you can find out production problems is to put it out into the public.

IMHO the greatest weakness of Arc4 is the risk of not surviving a direct hit on the button. The switch may survive a million cycles, but no micro switch is designed to survive a multi-G hit.

If you ever take apart Arc4 switch, the gold disc is a work of art all by itself. As we are finding out tolerances within Arc4 are very tight. The front micro switch has a travel distance of aprox. . 050in. Warning: Don't ever press on the tail button while the battery is out, this could rupture the gold contact disc.

A lot of the complaints directed towards Arc4 are the result of the rear tail spring being too strong and/or wrong length. Resulting in the front micro-switch partially compressed at all times. This will give Arc4 switch a dead feel.

Once you adjust the spring by taking out, squash or lengthen to suit. The result is a switch that is very tactile, but is also prone to accidental activation.

Until the protected tail guard comes out. Risk of switch damage by a direct hit to button will always be there. While the odds of the Arc4 hitting the ground tail first at a 90degree angle are slim. Odds hitting the switch at an angle are fairly good.

The aluminum contact plunger is designed to funnel your thumb energy to center of gold disc. Because the plunger is also designed to funnel off-center pressure to switch, it will do the same for off center high-G hits too.

Until the protected tail switch comes out from Arc. The only solution I'm aware of that will give you a protected switch and tactile feel is the 1.1 tailcap mod. Please note this design is at best temporary, as the jury is still out on durability.

Thanks,
CY

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should also be possible to design the light so that the battery can not press the mirco switch in farther in as necessary for relyable function.
And/or to put some dampening device into it which has a high resistance against fast movement.
It is somewhat difficult to explain for me, but there are, for example, 'bolt locks' which have almost no resistance against turning a bolt slowly (meaning the normal speed you fasten or loosen a bolt) and make it actually impossible to turn it fast.
I have no idea now how to implement it, maybe its worth a though.

Status
Not open for further replies.