Emisar d4v2 xpl-hi vs sst-20 5000k

Firebottle

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I'm going to get a d4v2, but was wondering about the differences between the sst-20 5000k and the xpl-hi 5000k. I think, I read on the budget light forum that the sst-20 had a bit more throw, higher cd rating. Any advice ?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing to see here...move along.

I'm happy with either one to tell you the truth. I do find I use my xpl-high lights more

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
SST-20
* Fairly comparable throw to XPL HI. Possibly slightly thrower.
* Greenish tint especially at intermediate and low power settings.
* Lower vF (forward voltage). Pulls more current and runs significantly hotter than XPL HI. High heat means you can't run it as long as XPL HI at higher settings. Also less output means you have to run it at higher power to get a comparable amount of light.
* 4000K version is available in high-CRI with good R9. With this version color rendition at higher brightness settings is excellent.
* Cheaper. But is it really worth saving $10 to get an inferior light?

XPL HI

* Significantly brighter at all power settings. And while initial turbo on a fresh cell might look similar, the SST-20 rapidly becomes dimmer much faster due to overheating and faster battery drain.
* Runs cooler due to higher vF
* Battery lasts slightly longer due to higher vF
* Much superior rosy tint. No ugly green like SST-20. Even at low brightness settings.
* Wider beam
* Costs more

I don't personally own a D4 with 5000K SST-20, but I do own 4000K SST-20 and have compared it to 4000K and 5000K XPL-HI.

Personally, I feel the XPL HI is enormously superior to SST-20. The only time SST-20 is worth it is if you're getting the 4000K version specifically because you want 95 CRI. Even then, I still often find XPL HI to be the superior choice since it puts out a LOT more light, has much better tint (not greenish), and doesn't get as hot as fast.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly what I said but opposite. Can someone recommend a good memory food/vitamin?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 4000k SST-20 in my D4V2 and it's nice to my eyes with no hint of green and I have an original ZL SC600, so I 'know' seafoam green.

Chris

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 4000k SST-20 in my D4V2 and it's nice to my eyes with no hint of green and I have an original ZL SC600, so I 'know' seafoam green.

Chris

D4V2's SST-20 4000K looks enormously green compared to their XPL HI offerings. Extremely visible if you compare them side-by-side.

I also have an original preorder ZL SC600... and yeah... it's really green too... much more so than even the SST-20.

The SST20 doesn't look green at max turbo. It's just intermediate and lower settings where it looks green.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly what I said but opposite. Can someone recommend a good memory food/vitamin?
There are six. Fresh, whole fruits. Fresh, whole vegetables. Simple, whole grains (e.g. oatmeal). Simple beans. (e,g. tofu, soy milk) Plain, simple seeds and nuts.

AndyG

Newly Enlightened
SST-20
* Lower vF (forward voltage). Pulls more current and runs significantly hotter than XPL HI. High heat means you can't run it as long as XPL HI at higher settings. Also less output means you have to run it at higher power to get a comparable amount of light.
* 4000K version is available in high-CRI with good R9. With this version color rendition at higher brightness settings is excellent.

XPL HI

* Significantly brighter at all power settings. And while initial turbo on a fresh cell might look similar, the SST-20 rapidly becomes dimmer much faster due to overheating and faster battery drain.
* Much superior rosy tint. No ugly green like SST-20. Even at low brightness settings.
* Wider beam
* Costs more

I don't personally own a D4 with 5000K SST-20, but I do own 4000K SST-20 and have compared it to 4000K and 5000K XPL-HI.

Personally, I feel the XPL HI is enormously superior to SST-20. The only time SST-20 is worth it is if you're getting the 4000K version specifically because you want 95 CRI. Even then, I still often find XPL HI to be the superior choice since it puts out a LOT more light, has much better tint (not greenish), and doesn't get as hot as fast.

That is an excellent summary and enough to convince me of the superiority of the XPL HI. Thank you!!

I suppose the 5000k is the better option then if we want a neutral white? And the next question for me: is the Nichia 219CT 5000k 83CRI also a good choice or better or worse for any reason?

carrot

Flashaholic
That is an excellent summary and enough to convince me of the superiority of the XPL HI. Thank you!!

I suppose the 5000k is the better option then if we want a neutral white? And the next question for me: is the Nichia 219CT 5000k 83CRI also a good choice or better or worse for any reason?

SST-20 at 5000K has great throw but often goes to green at mid drive levels. SST-20 4000K and 3000K are *nice* with very high CRI and nice rosy tints.

XP-L HI is nice at all color temperatures, but you lose some CRI. CRI is still better than the LEDs we all grew up with. Throw is good.

Nichia 219C are beautiful LEDs. I have many lights with them. But they are not in the same league, performance-wise. They get hot faster than the other two. They also can't take as much drive current, so in many Anduril lights, they are limited in firmware by 20% to prevent burnout. If quality of light is your main concern, they are great. But on the balance, they have notable weakness in power.

Last edited:

TheJLew85

Enlightened
SST-20

XPL HI

* Wider beam
* Costs more

Id like to know your opinion on the 4000K VS 5000K XPL-HI.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have a 5000K XPL HI and a 4000K CRI SST 20. They are both nice. No green on my 4000K SST at all. 5000K XPL HI is pure white. Really cannot go wrong, at least with my 2 samples. I have a 3000K SST Ti D4V2 Mule showing up today. :D

jrgold

Enlightened
ill add that the greenish tints are mostly visible when white wall hunting. When i'm in the woods at night i'll take a high cri option anytime, they just make everything pop and look beautiful. Nichia's are one of my favorites. Yes, they do get hotter, but walking through the woods takes very little light. I still can jump into turbo if i hear a sound deeper in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk