Need a simple 18650 usb rechargable torch that isnt awful to use

SantiagoJordan

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]It seems these days that there are just a million confusing modes that literally nobody uses where you have to press to cycle through them every time. I just want a simple intuitive On/Off, no questions asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](And possibly no PWM flickering on dim modes too, although I dont think that's avoidable. I can see the LED flickering when it attempts to do lower output and I can't stand it, esp for high speed photography. But if the highest mode is continuous light I can deal with that, and will just leave it on highest.)[/FONT]

Keitho

Enlightened
Might be worth looking at something with the Anduril user interface, or one of the other derivatives. Most have a ramping interface, which a lot of people like. But, most also have a user-programmable "floor" and "ceiling" for the ramp, so you can make it a 1-mode light at whatever brightness you want. There are some, like the Astrolux FT03, that are also USB rechargeable. There's a list of every single light with this UI on the cheaper forum if you search "anduril user interface master list".

Or, use the flashlight parametrek--there are 378 matches for "micro-USB charging" = "yes" and "variable output" = "no"
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ght-Selector&p=5103071&viewfull=1#post5103071

Good luck!

I'm an Olight fan, and I can say their "tactical" models are very simple. One button on the tail. Half-push for high. Full push for turbo bright. Short clicks latch it on. Long clicks turn off again when you let go. That's it.

rickwhoo

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference in a flashlight that uses 1 or 2 18650 batteries? Does having 2 batteries make it stronger or last longer?

Keitho

Enlightened
Capacity/current/size. Same as doubling the gas tank. Depending on how the engine uses gas, it could be higher horsepower, longer between fill ups, or some combo. Also like a gas tank, a bigger tank means it has to be physically larger; the larger structure could make it either stronger or weaker, depending on the design.

Complexity. A second cell adds complexity--it is another part that could wear/fail.

Options for circuits. 2 cells allows designers to match the power supply better with certain LED, with more efficient drivers: some LED need a voltage that is very close to 1 cell, while others need a voltage closer to 2 series cells (or more). But, depending on circuitry, in a 2-cell light, one cell could drift away from the other, either meaning premature failure of one cell (if they are in series) or reduced runtime (if they are in parallel); search batteryuniversity for a good article on series vs parallel.