5.75" thin replacement H1 lamps?

Daimlerds420

Newly Enlightened
I have a Daimler DS420 and the lighting is typical of 1970's to mid 80's Jaguar's: 7" outer H4 lamps that are high/low beams and 5.75" inner H1 lamps that are high beam only. Currently I have Cibie outer and Lucas inner lamps.

I am doing an engine transplant and a transmission cooler line would route most easily through the rear of the bucket of the left inner high beam, and putting the line in a different place would be very difficult - it's right where it comes out of the radiator. If I could shave an inch or so off the back of the bucket that would make life much easier. Unfortunately, that would run either very close or into the back of lamp itself. I did a search of LED lamps thinking that they could be thinner than a traditional lamphousing, but didn't find anything that was high beam only. Does such a thing exist?

I live in Canada and am not subject to any inspections, but I would like any replacement lamp to look reasonably close to the original H1, as I don't intend to replace the outer Cibie's. Really, only one of the inner high beams needs replacing, but I'd probably have to do the pair so it doesn't look weird.

If a thin, high beam only lamp exists I'd love a link to it. Thanks.

jeffsf

Newly Enlightened
Have you already checked https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html and https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/categories/headlights/

Daniel Stern had recommended the Cibie 5 3/4" units to me some time ago for my specific application. I don't know the depth of them. I don't recall his opinion of the flat vs. curved face lamps and his photometry page doesn't cover the flat-face Cibie, or the Hella for high beam. (See also https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...her-Options)&p=5205038&viewfull=1#post5205038 where Alaric states, "The flat lensed Cibié has the wider beam.")

The JW Speaker 6830 (picking from their selection based on 5 3/4" automotive, not anything else) shows 2" behind the seating plane, plus whatever is needed for the connector and wiring.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am doing an engine transplant and a transmission cooler line would route most easily through the rear of the bucket of the left inner high beam, and putting the line in a different place would be very difficult - it's right where it comes out of the radiator.
You could instead just get an external transmission oil cooler instead of using the radiator's built-in cooler. Or just find some way to plumb the existing one differently.

Daimlerds420

Newly Enlightened
You could instead just get an external transmission oil cooler instead of using the radiator's built-in cooler. Or just find some way to plumb the existing one differently.

I am retrofitting a supercharged engine and air conditioning, so space is at a premium because I'm fitting intercoolers and a condenser for AC which the car was never designed for, so that has taken up all the available space at the front of the engine bay. I was originally going to use an external transmission cooler, but there it became obvious there was no space to put one.

I'd not heard of the JW Speaker line before, when I looked at their automotive listing all I had saw was 7" lights. I'll look again and measure where my cooler line intersects the bucket to see if that one with the 2" depth would work.

The Lucas lights are flat faced, that was fairly common on British cars at the time. I very rarely use high beams ( I think I have only used them once), so I'm actually not that concerned about their performance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Most H1 high beams are more or less the same depth (Hella makes some that are extra-deep because of the way the bulb mount is configured). It sounds more like you need a space-saver headlamp mount -- some of those British industry-standard mounts are much bulkier than they strictly need to be. JW Speaker doesn't only make excellent LED headlamps, they also make nice mounts. This one will accept your current Lucas lamps or a set of Cibies to match your outer lamps, or a set of the JW Speaker LED units, which would also allow you to improve the front turn signal and add a daytime running light function to your older-model car. They are expensive, though, and might not be worth it to you. Plus, they don't look anything like vintage headlamps.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No, but since you mention it you remind me there was a somewhat obscure extra-slim Cibie 5.75" high beam with an H3 bulb. Haven't seen one in years. Maybe Daniel Stern knows where to find?

Daimlerds420

Newly Enlightened
I had a look at the car today and took the light assembly apart. The Lucas lamp is 2" from the mounting face to the back of the bulb, and another inch for the connector. I think the suggestion above about a different/modified headlight bucket is a good one, I'll have to get a spare and see if I can modify it to fit.

I did look at the drawing the of JW Speaker LED light, and it's also 2" deep, but quite a bit wider, I think the Lucas lamp will actually work better, as it tapers in and I could cut off one side of the bucket and bring it right close to the lamp assembly. I'll also have to have a look at the H3 suggestion and see if that could work too. Thanks for the ideas!