Charger Display Brightness Differences

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Maha 9000 still performs well and has flexible, independent, adjustments for each channel. With the number of AAA & AA NiMh cells I have, the charger is used frequently. Unless I forgot how to do it, the display cannot be dimmed or switched off. This charger has a bright screen which precludes its use in sleeping areas.

The Vapecell charger I have way too quickly completely darkens the display. It's faintly visible by shining a light on the dark display.

The XTAR Dragon offers a nice compromise by partly dimming its display, which is still quite readable. I prefer this choice.

Given that the well-used Maha's display still works, it would seem that dimming has little effect on screen longevity. Is the dimming just a "power-saving" sales gimmick or also to reduce distraction when the charger is near you?

What do you like?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluorescent screens do die/dim with use.

I would wish that my Maha C9000 screen would time off, but it doesn't. That being said, it still works fine after 8 years of constant use.

Chris

jrgold

Enlightened
The dragon is a perfect compromise. I like the large display showing two channels at a time and the auto-dim. Wish it displayed voltage without using the test leads tho

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
jrgold points out what may be the Dragon's best feature besides accepting large cells - its large display which dims partially. That same feature would make the Vapecell charger almost perfect and that was an avoidable mistake IMHO. The screen goes dark so soon that one must keep pressing the buttons to restore lighting. Maybe they want us to wear out the switches :D. I do like seeing, both, voltage and percentages, unlike the XTAR Dragon.