Here is a perfect TIR optic for C and D size maglites!

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this optic from digikey.
It's made by khatod and the model no is PL50SIL.
It fits perfectly in the maglite and drops in flush rather than sitting on top like the reflector, but it can be addressed by making a spacer or using a thicker glass.
Finding TIR optics the right size is almost impossible, so this is a huge relief to find one for custom mods.
This also is a groundbreaking silicone optic which is supposed to be extremely efficient at transmitting light, so will be interesting to test out when I finish my build!
qIpae37.jpg

jM08MsE.jpg

Last edited:

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
Nice! Tell us what you're thinking about choosing the LED...

Not sure about LED yet, but was looking at a cree XHP70, but not sure what other high CRI options there are out there.
The highest CRI version is this here I believe https://www.arrow.com/en/products/xhp70a-01-0000-0d0uj445g/cree
I plan on using a 3C light with 2x26650 inside, so should give be plenty of power and reasonable runtime even if its running at a modest 1000 lumens.
I might add a turbo mode at a higher power level for the hell of it.
If someone can find me a source of AR coated glass for this, let me know.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone can find me a source of AR coated glass for this, let me know.
This should do the trick. In fact, I have to place an order soon as well.

https://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php?app=cms&ns=display

I haven't heard the name Khatod in a dogs age! Having flashaholic flashbacks over here. Gonna' look up the specs on the optic, and thanks for providing the model number. Very interested in seeing your finished mod!

brickbat

Enlightened
Not sure about LED yet, but was looking at a cree XHP70, but not sure what other high CRI options there are out there.....

Not a bad choice. Looks like you'll end up with artifacts in the beam, due to the square emitter. A CXB1310 might give similar intensity and a smoother beam. DK stocks a 3500K, 90 CRI version. Khatod doesn't seem to list a test report for the CXB1310, though they do have a CXA1310 report.

Did you see a Khatod optic with a narrower beam for these large-ish LEDs? (looking for something under 10 degrees for my project...)

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
This should do the trick. In fact, I have to place an order soon as well.

https://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php?app=cms&ns=display

I haven't heard the name Khatod in a dogs age! Having flashaholic flashbacks over here. Gonna' look up the specs on the optic, and thanks for providing the model number. Very interested in seeing your finished mod!

Just jumped on there, looks like the stock a nice thick 3mm acrylic AR coated lens, but nothing much in the offerings with glass available.
Might be worth a shot anyway. Glass is more scratch resistant, but this is still going to be better than a factory maglite lens.

Not a bad choice. Looks like you'll end up with artifacts in the beam, due to the square emitter. A CXB1310 might give similar intensity and a smoother beam. DK stocks a 3500K, 90 CRI version. Khatod doesn't seem to list a test report for the CXB1310, though they do have a CXA1310 report.

Did you see a Khatod optic with a narrower beam for these large-ish LEDs? (looking for something under 10 degrees for my project...)

I think that since the lens is frosted somewhat in the centre, im hoping the square atrifacts are minimized, but yes, thats something I dont really desire. Ill take a look at the CXB1310, not sure where I can get an MCPCB for one of these though.
I didnt have a good look, but im pretty sure I do, I was mainly looking for a large-ish lens that would fit a large maglite and had a reasonably floody viewing angle, this looked the best thing I could find at the time.
What diameter are you after? Ive been looking and they have a few different types available in various viewing angles right down to 5 degrees.

Last edited:

brickbat

Enlightened
As far as I know, the CXB LEDs don't need a MCPCB. You can stick them straight down to a metal heatsink because the electrical connections are made with wires on the top side. I've tinkered with them and done that, and it's worked out fine.

I don't really care about the diameter - my project is an indoor plant light, with the lights mounted at ceiling height, about 5 feet over the plants. My main concern is minimizing spill light, and I'm not seeing any obvious way to do that, short of 'baffles' in my fixture design...

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just jumped on there, looks like the stock a nice thick 3mm acrylic AR coated lens, but nothing much in the offerings with glass available.
Might be worth a shot anyway. Glass is more scratch resistant, but this is still going to be better than a factory maglite lens.
Just had a look myself (it's been years), and am feeling a bit melancholy about the lack of Maglite UCL's, and that all glass is 50% off. No demand these days.

The AR coated acrylic's performance looks to be pretty darn close to a UCL, and should be a whole lot better than stock. Hope it was of some help for this interesting mod.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
Just had a look myself (it's been years), and am feeling a bit melancholy about the lack of Maglite UCL's, and that all glass is 50% off. No demand these days.

The AR coated acrylic's performance looks to be pretty darn close to a UCL, and should be a whole lot better than stock. Hope it was of some help for this interesting mod.

Looks like I will just go for that then, the 2.9mm thickness might work fine without a spacer anyway.
Is there anyone who has AR coated glass where we could get lenses cut from?
Would not be too difficult if the material is available.

nzoomed

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, the CXB LEDs don't need a MCPCB. You can stick them straight down to a metal heatsink because the electrical connections are made with wires on the top side. I've tinkered with them and done that, and it's worked out fine.

I don't really care about the diameter - my project is an indoor plant light, with the lights mounted at ceiling height, about 5 feet over the plants. My main concern is minimizing spill light, and I'm not seeing any obvious way to do that, short of 'baffles' in my fixture design...

Ok, that sounds straightforward.
So basically I can stick down with some arctic silver thermal adhesive and I should be good to go?

boo5ted

Enlightened
Wait, people still use Maglites as flashlights? Though they were only used as clubs to beat people with. :laughing:

Latest posts