Question on the Legality of Flashlights ...

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
in general and lumens in particular . As I was using my brand new Olight Warrior X Pro to help look for a neighbor's cat in the woods near where I live the other night , I started to wonder what I would say if someone called the police . Not necessarily the ownership of a flashlight , but the lumen threshold . Obviously , I would not shine it into a neighbors window or a motorists or pedestrians face. However , what would I say if a neighbor called to report a prowler ? Could the police in Northern Virginia consider a flashlight with higher lumens to be brandishing a weapon ? Possibly attached to a rifle ? I'm not paranoid ( like some of my neighbors ) , but I'm just wondering if any members have had an encounter with law enforcement because of a very bright light . Thanks in advance . :thinking:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Attached to a rifle? Northern Virginia? Uh, yeah you might want to think twice about that.

Prowlers tend to not want to be noticed…… so if a neighbor calls the cops about a bright light that would be a foolish thing for them to do. Matter of fact, in "not" northern Virginia when folks see bright flashlights they think it is the cops.

Legal maximum? I'd have to speculate there isn't any number but instead it would be seen as a nuicance if it is used for stupidity or rudeness. But then again you are speaking of Ralph Northam fan club territory.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would absolutely not under any circumstance be using a weapon-mounted flashlight "just to look for stuff" and that would include "the possibility of a prowler"- anywhere, not just NVA. The Cops wouldn't use WMLs in a search like that. Cops would only use a WML to search for a KNOWN armed threat.

Otherwise, using just a flashlight, sure you might get the cops called on you, but in all likelihood they'd just want to know what it's called and why it's so much better than their department issued one.

It's not a weapon unless you are using it as one.

scout24

Flashaholic
Use common sense and you won't have problems. As with much of the rest of life. My common sense is saying this thread should be closed before it goes sideways. Watching. Closely.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scout, it's like you have psychic powers. So let me try and respond without being the thread killer...if you mounted the light at the end of a cricket bat...

As a former law enforcement officer, we were trained to hold the flashlight a certain way to avoid being a victim of some miscreant. If I saw a bunch of guys with lights when i was a cop, I wouldn't have thought twice about it unless they installed a malkoff upgrade for a few hundred more lumens. I'd wonder what they were up to, check out the story and possibly see if they lived there. If so, I'd offer assistance or go back to patrol. Even the more gung ho guys on my platoon would give them a little bit hassle, but wouldn't give you a hard time. They're not even crazy about lights like I am. If you don't have burglar's tools on you, I'd think you'd be safe

Lumen83

Enlightened
I think you are confused about what brandishing a weapon means. I think your question probably should be more about whether shining an ultra bright flashlight at someone could be considered assault. Brandishing is more like you have a weapon in your belt and you are having words with someone and you lift up your shirt to show the weapon in a threatening way. I think you are asking if you have an ultra bright light and shine it on someone, could that be considered assault if it is so bright that it could cause some type of perceived harm.

Anyway, I don't have those answers. But what I can tell you is that it if you have a dedicated light for a firearm, do not use this as a general search around light to help find your neighbors cat. Don't point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot. Get a hand held light for that and save the gun light for a situation that requires the use of a gun in self defense.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
And in reference to what dot said, this is the reason our department doesn't use weapon mounted lights on handguns. Some of those same gung-ho guys have been known to use the lights on their guns for convenience rather than using JUST a light for a routine search that didn't involve a dangerous element.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that you have another question:
I'm just wondering if any members have had an encounter with law enforcement because of a very bright light .
No. I have shined very bright flashlights down the middle of residential streets at night and I have never had contact with the police because of that. MM15vn, M43vn, TN36UTvn, TK75vnQ70, X65vn, X45vn, K75vn and R90TS have resulted in no police contact with me. Imalent MS18 when aimed down the center of a residential street has, in my opinion, too much powerful flood to aim down the middle of a residential street. I have had contact with the police walking on the street, because after almost 9,000 pedestrian miles in residential neighborhood streets, in almost four years, I have no dog bite injuries on my legs or anywhere else on my body, but not for my neighbors at-large Shepherd breeds' lack of extreme trying, twice, with a tenth of a second to spare the first time, and a third of a second to spare the second time. No flashlight was used in my self defense.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the only legal problems with using a flashlight would be disturbing the peace.
Like music - play it too loud - attract attention
= disturbing the peace
I only once attracted police attention once with a high lumen light. I was out with the dog at a state park. No one around. I lit up the parking area with 3,00 lumens and there was a cruiser parked in the corner. The cop started his engine and drove over to me. We just hung for a while and I let him play with my light. He never asked for ID. Cool guy.

BVH

Flashaholic
When I rarely shine one of my 500 to 1600 Watt Short Arc lights at the hilltop about a mile from my garage, I wait till about 9PM or after, then play for about 10 minutes. The light never reaches an upward angle where it could bother aircraft and if one happens into the vicinity of the "end of the beam, I move it or shut down. I think in my mind, I act as if it is illegal to do what I am doing so that I am ultra careful how I use it. While there are no houses in the direct line of the beam, it does go right up the middle of a house-lined street but is significantly higher than the level of a car or truck and there is virtually no "spill" onto the houses. I still divert the beam if a vehicle is on the street.

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
Attached to a rifle? Northern Virginia? Uh, yeah you might want to think twice about that.

Prowlers tend to not want to be noticed…… so if a neighbor calls the cops about a bright light that would be a foolish thing for them to do. Matter of fact, in "not" northern Virginia when folks see bright flashlights they think it is the cops.

Legal maximum? I'd have to speculate there isn't any number but instead it would be seen as a nuicance if it is used for stupidity or rudeness. But then again you are speaking of Ralph Northam fan club territory.

Sorry ! I should have clarified that someone else might think that it was attached to a rifle . I am not foolish enough to do this ! There is a lot of paranoia with regards to AR-15 rifles these days . Thank you , sir .

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
Scout, it's like you have psychic powers. So let me try and respond without being the thread killer...if you mounted the light at the end of a cricket bat...

As a former law enforcement officer, we were trained to hold the flashlight a certain way to avoid being a victim of some miscreant. If I saw a bunch of guys with lights when i was a cop, I wouldn't have thought twice about it unless they installed a malkoff upgrade for a few hundred more lumens. I'd wonder what they were up to, check out the story and possibly see if they lived there. If so, I'd offer assistance or go back to patrol. Even the more gung ho guys on my platoon would give them a little bit hassle, but wouldn't give you a hard time. They're not even crazy about lights like I am. If you don't have burglar's tools on you, I'd think you'd be safe

Okay. Thank you . I was in LE ( sort of ) while in the military ( USCG ) . I try to be a civil/courteous man , so I shouldn't have any problems . Thanks again .

pageyjim

Enlightened

Regarding "burglary tools" I wonder how many flashlight enthusiasts carry a legal pocketknife and or multitool on them like me. I also have lock picks in my wallet for an emergency lol.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I really don't think there would be any "legal" issue with using a flashlight that is capable of very high lumens. What could start to get someone into trouble is "intent", are you trying to use it or anything in your hands to cause harm to another person. I could have a garden hose in my hands and be using as something other than it's intended use and that may have legal issues.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK was told one of his flashlights was too bright to be legal by the Chinese government. They forbid him from lighting it saying it could blind airplane pliots.

IMG-20180129-220948.jpg

It was afterall the worlds biggest and brightest flashlight.
Look, it tail stands. :thumbsup:

LED Monkey

Enlightened
PK was told one of his flashlights was too bright to be legal by the Chinese government. They forbid him from lighting it saying it could blind airplane pliots.

You need to tell me where I can buy this light! I'll take 3 thank you, with a coupon of course

IMG-20180129-220948.jpg

I'l take 3 please. With a coupon code of course!

Last edited:

LED Monkey

Enlightened

IMG-20180129-220948.jpg

Sorry pal but you got some splainin to do.

robd88

Newly Enlightened
If you are holding a Warrior X Pro (or any flashlight, lighter, or light emitting device) in your hand to look for something, I really don't see an issue. As previously stated in this thread, it comes down to intent.

If I tape a zippo lighter to the end of a rifle, can I call it a weapon mounted light? LOL

Just because an item is marketed a certain way, doesn't mean its use is predefined in all instances.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Enlightened
As a retired law enforcement officer, I can tell you that you are safe. In the event that law enforcement did show up, you have a good reason for being outside with a flashlight.