Imalent        
Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627282932 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Default Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    U.S. national lockdown is now extended to April 30.
    Really? What does that mean?
    LOCK-Down (in my mind) denotes the Army National guard patrolling the streets, and Nazi like, behavior, like they did in Warsaw during WW2.

NYC has released prisoners early to create a little social distancing in the prisons. Would they arrest people and put them in prison?

Stupid term.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

431 cases per million people in the US.
    8 deaths per million people in the US.

If the predicted 100k deaths occur that is 0.03% of the population.

Does that mean be wreckless? Heavens no!!
    Does it warrant Soviet era methods of population control? If you think so, are you ok with giving the government that much power?
    Just something to chew on while out searching for toilet paper……
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Those look like some marshall law crackdown shoes ven.
    Nah, that would be more like ... 5.11 ... shoes.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic

UV - from the sun - may be useful for degrading the virus molecule. The old fashioned way of drying laundry on a line - in the open air and sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Really? What does that mean?
    LOCK-Down (in my mind) denotes the Army National guard patrolling the streets, and Nazi like, behavior, like they did in Warsaw during WW2.

NYC has released prisoners early to create a little social distancing in the prisons. Would they arrest people and put them in prison?

Stupid term.
    Okay, the nationwide stay at home order including all "non essential" businesses shut down has been extended to April 30. A travel advisory has been put in place in the New York area to prevent people from driving around for non essential reasons. Other states are pulling over cars with New York plates to keep them out of their state. Does that sound better than lockdown?

In other news, people are trying to leak the real death numbers out of China. Based on the number of urns in the area, it's over 40,000 dead. Apparently, about 5-10% of those that recovered are testing positive again in China. They are getting reinfected. There is no evidence at this time that they are getting sick again or getting others sick, but this is concerning and something to keep a close eye on. An Albertsons in Escondido, CA has been closed due to one employee testing positive for corona virus. I would suggest getting prepared for everything being closed down. We could have more similar closures as more get infected or God forbid, a strike of grocery clerks, bank tellers, or nurses.

Today in America zero automobiles were produced. First time since WW2.

They all switched over to emergency supply.

Flashaholic*

Bykfixer. Our lovely governor will be making an announcement at 2.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

China and India comprises 2/3 world population..
    Now back to finding a TP substitute..
    I wonder are tortillas flushable 🤔

He is expected to do a stay at home order bb.

Toilet paper was a mighty fine invention kg. But what did they do back in the days of Thomas Jefferson? Or before the Sears catalog? Not arristocrats but regular shmoes like us. Thanks to wireless these days phone books are pretty skimpy.

I have an idea how to put a splitter on my toilets incoming supply and have a ball valve inline at the end. Put a female brass cap with small holes drilled for ability to wash those unmentionables.

OK... I'm ready for a food run with Fruit of the Loom.

Flashaholic*

After a bidet wash.. then what, towel dry?

Breeze dry.. burrr cold outside!

Ben Franklin would have used the kite string method 🤗

The craziest over tp and paper towels is too much. Running water, soap, old tee shirts, and a little bleach and you'll be fine.

Flashaholic*

I hang a bath towel off the ceiling and back flip off the front of the bowl while doing the splits and let it clean me off. No toilet paper used in 3 weeks and my calves look amazing.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

OK... I'm ready for a food run with Fruit of the Loom.

Excellent idea!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Re: National Lockdown and related: this President has specifically declined national-level action on this issue, and has recently even backtracked on possible individual city options - there's not going to be any coordinated federal government response to any aspect of this event, it is being left to states to decide on their own. If you're in a state that has some resources and everyone's spread out, it won't be so bad, but if your state is poor and/or cramped (ie the South), this isn't going to go well..

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Dont tell mr fixer they are Nike what ever you do, but these are a 9.5(10.5 US) and although fit well, the stupid lace design on the r/h shoe, digs in to an old injury.(OK its my fault not the shoe) You can feel the lace , which touches an old break on the big toe...
    Yeah, I know a little something about Nike Elements; I wear mine with the laces so loose that you can't really feel the upper at all, it just feels like there's a sole floating against the bottom of your sock; note that these are a thin parachute nylon pair and not one of the alternative stiffer materials though, that may be part of it:

If you're an Adidas fan, I strongly recommend checking out the cloud-like Ultraboosts, these are essentially the only Adidas models I look at now:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Okay, the nationwide stay at home order including all "non essential" businesses shut down has been extended to April 30. A travel advisory has been put in place in the New York area to prevent people from driving around for non essential reasons. Other states are pulling over cars with New York plates to keep them out of their state. Does that sound better than lockdown?
    Yes it does sound better.
    In the New York Metropolitan area, the "non essential" travel has been in effect already, so the "travel advisory" is rhetorical. Regarding other states pulling over cars with NY plates, that was only Rhode Island, and that order was rescinded in less than 24 hours. Connecticut's governor stated that there will be no restriction of travel between CT and NY.

I'm in New Jersey about 10 miles from NYC as the crow flies. There aren't many cars on the roads, people are keeping their distance, and are pretty much hunkered down. NY Governor Cuomo has shown graphs that distancing, etc is having an effect, whereas the number of hospitalizations initially doubled every 2.5 days, it is down to doubling every 6 days. However due to the geometric progression of transmission, the numbers continue to get larger and larger. Fortunately the number of people who are released from the hospitals increase each day too.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    China and India comprises 2/3 world population..
    I wonder are tortillas flushable 樂
    I make a habit of never putting anything in the toilet (except TP) that you haven't eaten first.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    I hang a bath towel off the ceiling and back flip off the front of the bowl while doing the splits and let it clean me off. No toilet paper used in 3 weeks and my calves look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Re: National Lockdown ... there's not going to be any coordinated federal government response to any aspect of this event, it is being left to states to decide on their own.
    Probably good news. I work for the federal gov and it's amazing how often we get it wrong.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Flashaholic*

Those Adidas Ultra Boost have a very functional looking heel counter.. and will give BB an extra half gainer to the wipe!

Yes it does sound better.
    In the New York Metropolitan area, the "non essential" travel has been in effect already, so the "travel advisory" is rhetorical. Regarding other states pulling over cars with NY plates, that was only Rhode Island, and that order was rescinded in less than 24 hours. Connecticut's governor stated that there will be no restriction of travel between CT and NY.
    It's interesting how people seem to take (I assume) being "singled out" so personally. It would just be out of an abundance of caution. CT doesn't want anyone from NY because they're greasy and their food stinks. NY doesn't want anyone from CT because they're greasy and their food stinks.
    GOOD TINT!

Yeah, I know a little something about Nike Elements; I wear mine with the laces so loose that you can't really feel the upper at all, it just feels like there's a sole floating against the bottom of your sock; note that these are a thin parachute nylon pair and not one of the alternative stiffer materials though, that may be part of it:

They are sure comfortable and light (on left foot anyway lol).

If you're an Adidas fan, I strongly recommend checking out the cloud-like Ultraboosts, these are essentially the only Adidas models I look at now:
    [/QUOTE]

Cool! will bare in mind down the line. I am hoping I will be ok for trainers for a bit(have few others to).

Cheers

Virginia officially enforced a stay at home order (they should have done this 3 weeks ago)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Is this the Ugly Shoe thread?

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Probably good news. I work for the federal gov and it's amazing how often we get it wrong.
    The problem is that this means there won't be any one curve for the United States; areas like California and Colorado will have curves roughly like those of other industrialized nations, whereas areas like Florida and Louisiana will have death rates similar to some African countries. The averaged result will not be on par with other nationally coordinated first world nations.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I am hoping I will be ok for trainers for a bit(have few others to).
    For coming back from injury, you want "recovery" trainers/runners, and the two biggest names in that segment are the Nike Pegasus Turbos (the orange shoes originally linked) and the Adidas Ultraboosts; either of these models are so soft that they'd be in the way of a hardcore/personal-best competition run, but they're ideal for getting back on your feet or casual jogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Is this the Ugly Shoe thread?
    Get you some pretty shoes..
    Last edited by StarHalo; 03-30-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I wonder are tortillas flushable 樂
    If first inserted in your mouth and digested, then yes. If inserted from the other end, then no.

The problem is that this means there won't be any one curve for the United States; areas like California and Colorado will have curves roughly like those of other industrialized nations, whereas areas like Florida and Louisiana will have death rates similar to some African countries. The averaged result will not be on par with other nationally coordinated first world nations.
    This. Yes.

I look at the USA numbers and compare existing cases against new ones for a daily infection ratio. Some states are higher/lower than others.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

MS and AL are side by side, but AL's percentage gain is significantly less than MS despite having 50% more population.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Once upon a time an experiment was tried. A place where local government was established. Each locality was given authority to govern itself the way its citizens deemed fit. Some of those localities were more cool to be in than others for various reasons like jobs, beaches or mineral and orr mines.

A state government was formed as a collection of all localities in a given territory. It was set up to provide resources and laws for the common good of that territory. If need be they provide revenue collected from localities and placed in a pool of money. Things like school systems, and health rules were put in place to provide for the overall citizenry of said territory. But localities had a say so over the state to a degree. Some states were more cool to live in than others due to jobs, beaches or other reasons. They decided if a Republic or statehood or commonwealth best suited them. But they also established rules of what constitutes being a city versus a town or village. Population numbers decided that.

At some point enough territories now called states developed and there became a need for an over see-er of the collection of states. It was designed to provide services from a giant pool of money that would be spread around as much as practical based on needs such as population. But states still had say so over the central government.

Localities had say so over states and states over the central government. That place was called the United States of America. United……States. After the civil war in America the central government was placed over the states in authority. Later states were put in authority over localities. In some cases counties rule cities. But the central government was never intended to be completely in charge of everything. Each state still decides its own path, same as localities decide theirs.

In this situation New York city asked the state of New York for help. Unable to completely help New York state asked the US government for help. The US government did not respond "you're on your own". They responded "cities get the best deal you can get from your resources available, when you have done your best, the state takes over. When they have done their best from their available resources the federal government will help out.

When Hawaii was invaded it took a bit of time to come up with enough resources to beat a foreign country. Now some historians argue that there was ample warning about the attack on America. That is neither here nor there. Nor is whether or not America had ample warning of being invaded by a new virus. But what is, is the fact that the same principles apply regarding the way the 3 types of government institutions are run. Also that it is going to take a bit of time to fight off this invader.

Also reality dictates that about 80% of those who catch this virus will be ok. 15% will get really sick and 5% will die, many of which would have probably died in the not so distant future. Italy is now saying that the vast majority of their deaths are people who probably would not have lived two more years. Also the guy who said "200,000 Americans will die" just changed his tune to 20,000 after factoring in social distancing into his model. Not Fauchi who was just preparing us for the far worst scenario but that Nelson fellow who said it in the first place. His new model does not factor in santitizing like we are. But see sometimes the federal government has to send out shocking numbers to get folks to listen. If all goes well there will be plenty to brag about from mayors, city councils to governors and legislators to congress folks and the president.

Now back to ugly shoes……
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.

In this situation New York city asked the state of New York for help. Unable to completely help New York state asked the US government for help. The US government did not respond "you're on your own". They responded "cities get the best deal you can get from your resources available, when you have done your best, the state takes over. When they have done their best from their available resources the federal government will help out.
    That's not what's happening; there is no federal reserve of what is needed available because we disbanded the institutions that prepare for such things, you have only private stores which absent of any governmental dictate are left subject to the rules of the free market - thus the many reports from governors having to not only bid for equipment, but bid against other governors and even FEMA itself. State representatives are having to compete against federal entities just to get medical supplies, something that would be completely illegal in a nationally coordinated response/any other industrialized nation.

When Hawaii was invaded it took a bit of time to come up with enough resources to beat a foreign country. Now some historians argue that there was ample warning about the attack on America. That is neither here nor there. Nor is whether or not America had ample warning of being invaded by a new virus. But what is, is the fact that the same principles apply regarding the way the 3 types of government institutions are run. Also that it is going to take a bit of time to fight off this invader.
    It hit all the other first world nations as a surprise at roughly the same time, yet our curve will look notably deviant to theirs, history will have to explain that.

5% will die, many of which would have probably died in the not so distant future.
    Macabre.

-Disbanded? The cdc had dinosaur policies so it was streamlined.
    -Slow to test? The FDA rejected test kits by used by other nations due to false negatives and false positives in nearly half of them.
    -Macrabre? Sometimes the truth bites.

It's all out there to read if one really wants to see.

Burley, the Ralph keeps getting reports of gatherings in places young people tend to congregate like the beach and barbecues. His last two directives were aimed to halt that but the young adults refused to heed. So now he has given those folks a message that law enforcement will be used when necessary and did it in a way that makes it legal to do it.

I'm no fan of the guy but do understand why he took drastic action. He is a pediatrician by trade who somehow got talked into becoming a politician. Our state has a managable number of cases with most deaths taking place in nursing homes. And it seems Dr Northam takes it personal when young people do not heed his advice same as my dads heart doctor threw him out of his office one day when my dad told him he wasn't going to quit smoking. The man looked at me and said "git him thehell outta my office". My pop called my sister that night and says "my heart doctor says I don't need to come back, I must be healed".

Americans are used to unbridled freedom. And with each generation more freedom. So while folks who grew up in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, have seen many many hurricanes, earth quakes and other dramatic times often tend to behave for the common good none like having freedom taken away. At least to a degree. But they still want their freedom. Being told they can't go to their favorite steak joint, church, baseball game and all those American freedom induced activities we are slow to comply. Other nations aren't used to the ultimate freedoms Americans have. It's why my family were joking about that virus in Wuhan back at Christmas and wondering what it would look like here by July 4th.

But in a society where even the judge goes 70mph in a 65 zone, we are slow to respond to being corraled. That's why the numbers in America far exceed other nations, covid-19 tests or not.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-30-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Flashaholic*

Personally i prefer to go in style wearing my Vans slip-ons 😎

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627282932 ... LastLast