Malkoff        
Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1804

Thread: Coronavirus

Flashaholic

Default Re: Coronavirus

/.../

On the subject of scale : SotU2

PS : Thanks for the Queen Monsieur Gardiner, never fails !!!

Edit : Link reformed, sorry for that. Hope this works better.

Cheers.

Edit 2 : You're most welcome. Good catch btw, I'm impressed. I oversaw that one completely.
    Last edited by coffeecup66; 04-09-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup66 View Post
    /.../

On the subject of scale : SotU link removed

PS : Thanks for the Queen Monsieur Gardiner, never fails !!!
    Hi @coffeecup66 ... your link goes directly to a "shockwave flash" file, which is a deprecated (and non-secure) format.

Would you mind editing out the direct link ?

EDIT - thank you
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-09-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    This thread makes me want to get back into weightlifting. I donít know how the arthritic spine and exploded elbow would handle any type of power lifting but just moving weight would be nice and very therapeutic.
    Start out light with basics, bench, squat, dead, and stay away from assists.. Don't over rep.. Your body will tell you when it's time to either go heavier, or take it easy on the joints

Weight lifting is good for bone density. Keeps us old guys standing upright!

..and if some SoCal pin head zombie jumps on my back, I feel good knowing I can body slam the guy (-;

Yoga, isometrics is good too, keeps those muscles stretched and joints lubed

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Yoga, isometrics is good too, keeps those muscles stretched and joints lubed
    Be careful with yoga, it's easy to overdo it. I did yoga for a year and started having some issues/ injuries. Don't do it anymore. Go very light and don't push it if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    This thread makes me want to get back into weightlifting. I donít know how the arthritic spine and exploded elbow would handle any type of power lifting but just moving weight would be nice and very therapeutic.
    I've had better luck with calisthenics and exercise bands then weights. Good results with less injury. Those bands are very versatile, safe, and cheap.

Flashaholic*

I did power yoga for a year. Couldnít do any of that now
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Here are the numbers I didn't memorize.

If you do the math, the pores of the typical coffee filter are 160 times as large as a corona 19 virus.
    Itīs just the shape that stays the same, the fleece/tissue they use for those masks fits FFP3 standards, not Gourmet Intense...
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    Itīs just the shape that stays the same, the fleece/tissue they use for those masks fits FFP3 standards, not Gourmet Intense...
    That's great!

It really is wonderful to see so many manufacturers jumping in, retooling, to make things that are necessary, that they never made before.

I hope our country never looses sight of that.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Are you sure she wasn't there to rob the place KG?

I considered cutting up one of my home hepa filters at one point.

Joggers and folks performing things that make them breath harder should stay farther apart than 6 feet.

I had to keep reminding my young trainee to stay away. One of those youngsters used to automatic everything and phone apps to start the microwave. No concept of this whole notion that life is entirely different right now, for everybody including him. I asked him if his girlfriend has to remind him to lift the toilet seat or does he have an app for that too? I told him tomorrow I will bring a doggy shock collar and zap his dum*** everytime he gets within 10 feet of me. Hated to be that guy, ÖÖwell actually I really kinda enjoyed it. lol

Isometrics are your friend right now burley.
    emphasis mine.
    Hey fixer... THANKS for the laugh!

Oh man... I am still laughing. I'd LOVE to see that

Things are crazy at my work Poppy. I'm part mother hen, part rooster. All while juggling a 20 pound bowling ball, a double edge sword and a chain saw during a game of 1 legged hop scotch. My patience got a little tested by my young prodige.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-09-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    ..... If you do the math, the pores of the typical coffee filter are 160 times as large as a corona 19 virus.
    I don't want to do the math. Just give it to me in person, red blood cell, and sports stadium.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I don't want to do the math. Just give it to me in person, red blood cell, and sports stadium.
    0:16 brings us to "influenza", which is a coronavirus:

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Scale-wise, if a singular coronavirus is the size of a person, a red blood cell is the size of a sports stadium; ...

Your linked video suggests the red blood cell is 80 times greater the size of the "Influenza" virus.

That's a sports stadium the size of 80 humans...

My question : where do I park my car ?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup66 View Post
    Your linked video suggests the red blood cell is 80 times greater the size of the "Influenza" virus.
    The diameter is 80 times greater, not area, so perhaps a gymnasium; still small enough to fit through the pores on many plastics, but again the purpose of a mask is to catch outgoing moisture.

I don't know where the French park their cars, I'll let some of these friendly truck-driving fellows answer that one..

San Diego county in California changed their law banning groups of 10 and over to include any group under 10 people (with the exception of those living with you). I guess freedom of assembly is suspended until further notice. I understand the reason why(people are dying), but I didn't think it was legal to suspend constitutional rights short of declaring martial law. Is that where we're at now? I really hope this isn't the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    San Diego county in California changed their law banning groups of 10 and over to include any group under 10 people (with the exception of those living with you). I guess freedom of assembly is suspended until further notice. I understand the reason why(people are dying), but I didn't think it was legal to suspend constitutional rights short of declaring martial law. Is that where we're at now? I really hope this isn't the new normal.
    Today's the first day California has had a decrease in ICU patients; you might want to check the statistics on those states that don't feel like "suspending rights"..

I too worry about the apparent ďsuspensionĒ of the Constitution. It was way too easy to convince us that itís OK to do so. Iím isolating because itís just common sense, not because Big Brother has ordered it. Iím 66 years old so I donít want this virus...they didnít have to strip away my Constitutional rights to get my attention. But thatís just me.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

If malkoff made a mask..........

Stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    I too worry about the apparent ďsuspensionĒ of the Constitution. It was way too easy to convince us that itís OK to do so. Iím isolating because itís just common sense, not because Big Brother has ordered it. Iím 66 years old so I donít want this virus...they didnít have to strip away my Constitutional rights to get my attention. But thatís just me.
    Johnnyh, I also don't want you to get the virus. However, if you do, would you mind terribly if I contacted your widow about acquiring some of your stuff?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Johnnyh, I also don't want you to get the virus. However, if you do, would you mind terribly if I contacted your widow about acquiring some of your stuff?
    LOL! Chance, you are a hoot!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

You laughed. My work here is finished. Good night guys. Stay safe and stay well.

Thanks for that. Staying safe, staying well and still laughing...

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Today's the first day California has had a decrease in ICU patients; you might want to check the statistics on those states that don't feel like "suspending rights"..
    They also said today that restrictions would not be lifted until we have at least 28 days with no new cases. Under this new order, wouldn't bringing food or medications to a disabled family friend be considered as a gathering? If this is enforced to the letter of the law, I can see it doing more harm than good. I see the need to limit the spread, but to suspend our rights to this degree is just inviting stupid people to defy it. If you try to legislate stupidity away, you won't have any rights left. Remember, you can't fix stupid.

Covid-19 should be a lesson in social studies, civics, government and history for nearly every person on the planet.

But it probably won't be.

My boss says George Soros paid a lab to design a virus that will kill just enough people to scare everybody else. My brother says build walls around each state and check peoples papers entering and exiting. A friend says it's 5g morphed the common cold virus into covid-19. Some are taking pictures of small crowds and sending them to news channels. Some fear any germs so they are really freaking out right now. Some say covid-19 is racist. Others think the whole thing is a giant hoax.

Time will reveal what really happened. I see it as a virus that is brand new, has more durability than usual, causes the body's immune system to over react in some and is going to change the way we think for a long long time. Right now when you do happen upon a stranger you probably don't break the ice by talking about the weather. Hopefully a lot of good will happen, like perhaps during next years flu season folks will spread it less, or hospitals will keep better stocked up on supplies, Americans will appreciate their barber more and running errands won't seem like such a chore anymore.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-10-2020 at 05:30 AM.
    John 3:16

bykfixer,
    Well put.

I think what is important , that pharmacies , docs, health services , companies, continue to stock up. Especially with ventilators , masks, gloves and face shields. If this comes back(predicted to) in winter, then we have no excuse to not be more prepared.

Scientists are finding out(not actually surprising given how fast and easy it appears to spread) that it stays air born longer than first thought. Potentially minutes in the air. So someone could sneeze or cough in a food isle. Leave the isle! Then you wander down and potentially breath in the virus.

So as much protection as reasonably possible would be a good move, if and when leaving the house. Every time we leave, be it work, fuel, food we are at more risk. We find out little snip bits here and there, each week a little more found out. It would be very frustrating if we found a simple measure would have protected us months back. If it is more airborn than first thought, face shields as well as specific masks would have helped hugely early on.

I still think if we in the UK would have locked down in January and listened to the warnings. We would have saved a lot of lives. Italy weeks back told us to full lock down, itís still not happened . Itís just a part lock down.

stay safe

Earlier, the Governor of Connecticut, ordered that people traveling out of NYC were to be quarantined for 2 weeks. It was falsely reported that state troopers were going door to door to locate New Yorkers, and to enforce quarantine. And that they were at the borders, turning around cars with NY plates, not allowing them to enter.

His order, whatever it was, was reversed within 24 hours.

When I heard it, my thought was that it was unconstitutional (we have a constitutional right to freedom of movement). My nephew cited three times that certain constitutional rights were suspended, the only one I remember was when President Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus.

I reasoned that even if it was unconstitutional to limit movement, by time a lawsuit worked its way through the courts the pandemic would have run its course.

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread. The Government only has the power that we as a populace grant them.

Personally, I won't be too concerned during a time like this, unless they come for our guns.

ven,
    That is an awesome looking mask!

It looks like the bridge of the nose is a bit wide, and gets into your field of view, but that the filter area is large enough that it may allow air to get through without too much effort.

Here is a picture of one of mine.
    Inhaling takes a little effort, not too much, but enough to raise a little anxiety for me.

Yesterday I wrote about my brother stating that some of the doctors in the hospital that his daughter works in, and an expert epidemiologist, thought it was air borne. I wonder how long the "powers that be" were aware of that, and decided to withhold that info from us. I suppose that if they released that information to the general public, there would be panic, and there would be NO N95 filters for the medical profession.

Certainly there will be arguments of pros vs cons of what was done, and what should have been done.

Freedom of assembly has been restricted for many years. Not to the extent as we are seeing here, but certain size groups, LARGE groups, must have a PERMIT to assemble. I believe that is for traffic control, and the safety of the general public.

Easy on the politics, folks...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Yes spot on poppy, I took the pic before crushing the nose part in. Many are not aware, even the cheap masks have a wife of kind in the bridge. To form and creat a seal around the nose.

That mask is not comfy, itís a tight fit and feels like itís crushing your face in!!! Not the best for hours on end wearing.

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast