Malkoff        
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Default Re: Coronavirus

As has been mentioned repeatedly, please try to stay positive and not dip into the controversial...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Prince Charles tested positive with COVID19, mild symptoms so far. Lets not forget, even if we do get this, it does not mean ventilator and coughing up blood! Most will get mild symptoms , many will get it, feel rough and it will pass. Not even knowing they have had it. Others not so lucky of course. A young healthy 21yr old with no underlying health conditions passed away due to COVID19

I had to do a chemist run, all queueing out side, 2m gaps, 1 in 1 out. Just went with the flow, 30 mins later back at home. Washed hands, carry on.

More jobs done today, blinds up in the kitchen, painting. Also going to take down that beast of a hedge in the back. It must be 14-15 heck 16 ft tall. So to go with my dewalt bits n bobs, a chainsaw with amazon due in tomorrow. Of course after ordering, i then realised PPE and chain oil!!!! spends never ends.

So next job whilst sun out organised, at this rate i will be twiddling my thumbs next week with nothing left to do. Well other than so far returning to work next Wednesday!
    How is the lock down being observed up north then? Hopefully people are starting to get the message now. Being self employed I'm not sure what financial help I'll get, the sooner we get through this the better.

Stay safe

Oh and I don't think you should be cutting down your hedge at this time of year, nesting birds and all that...

One smart idea I read recently, do several virus tests together--so called "pooled" tests.

Nebraska is supposedly already doing this, you put 5 samples into one tube and test them together.

Negative result, boom--you clear 5 people.

You only do individual tests if the pooled test gives a positive result.

That way you multiply several-fold how many tests you can do given a limited number you have available.

And also to mention, some tests can be pooled in even larger numbers (up to 60 I read somewhere, depending on the type of test).

Some mathematician could calculate how many more tests you can do with this method given that actually the fraction of people who have the virus is small.

Reminds me of these brain teasers--you have 8 items, one of which is heavier than the others, how many times do you need to measure them on a balance to track down the item?
    Last edited by flashy bazook; 03-25-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy bazook View Post

Reminds me of these brain teasers--you have 8 items, one of which is heavier than the others, how many times do you need to measure them on a balance to track down the item?
    I count seven answer highlighted in white.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Mrs Fixer had a craving for butter beans. She stopped by the store and grabbed 2 cans. She said "my gosh the shelves are still so bare". I said "who in the world keeps buying all of that stuff?" as I tried to find a space in the cupboard to put the second can of lima beans. She laughed and said "uh, perhaps you?"

But seriously we started stocking up back in last November because of the annual flu season. We do it every year and in spring/summer eat what remains. I will admit to having more canned tuna than normal but that's because I love me some canned tuna on weekends.
    I regularly blend tuna and egg salad together with plenty chopped onions and garlic. Mix lil mustard mayo on toasted fav bread, bam!

I have noticed many old folks, and young alike, at grocery store keeping a safe 6 ft space away from me!

Hunh, think I've discovered a good covid19 repellent 😄

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I regularly blend tuna and egg salad together with plenty chopped onions and garlic. Mix lil mustard mayo on toasted fav bread, bam!

I have noticed many old folks, and young alike, at grocery store keeping a safe 6 ft space away from me!

Hunh, think I've discovered a good covid19 repellent
    I can smell you from here

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Quote Originally Posted by stfc69 View Post
    How is the lock down being observed up north then? Hopefully people are starting to get the message now. Being self employed I'm not sure what financial help I'll get, the sooner we get through this the better.

Stay safe

Oh and I don't think you should be cutting down your hedge at this time of year, nesting birds and all that...

So far most seem to be getting it, chemist, tesco were strict, 1 person in one side. Separations, people monitoring each isle. There is still a good bit of traffic about, more a sunday morning type than a monday day though. Not seen any groups like i had at weekend.

In the next day or 2, there will be some hopefully good news for you. Nothing but a nightmare to try and cover everything. Fingers crossed, but by weekend i think you will have some reassuring news.

Yes get that, i love nature, birds etc and care will have to be taken. It may have to be left till september onwards. That will be evaluated later .

Looks a nice day out, fresh air in the garden, dog walk and no doubt more DIY jobs in house to come.

500,000 volunteers for NHS is awesome, if i was not in quarantine i would defo be doing more than i can. Once back to work next week, i will hopefully sign up and do more local with delivery, moving people etc. I want to do my bit, just have to wait a week

Stay safe

Flashaholic

So far most seem to be getting it, chemist, tesco were strict, 1 person in one side. Separations, people monitoring each isle. There is still a good bit of traffic about, more a sunday morning type than a monday day though. Not seen any groups like i had at weekend.

In the next day or 2, there will be some hopefully good news for you. Nothing but a nightmare to try and cover everything. Fingers crossed, but by weekend i think you will have some reassuring news.

Yes get that, i love nature, birds etc and care will have to be taken. It may have to be left till september onwards. That will be evaluated later .

Looks a nice day out, fresh air in the garden, dog walk and no doubt more DIY jobs in house to come.

500,000 volunteers for NHS is awesome, if i was not in quarantine i would defo be doing more than i can. Once back to work next week, i will hopefully sign up and do more local with delivery, moving people etc. I want to do my bit, just have to wait a week

Stay safe
    Yes I think it's slowly sinking in for most people, unfortunately there will always be some who think they can do what they like... The building site issue needs to be sorted though, especially in London.

I think there will be something announced later today, I don't really want to accept help but this is exceptional circumstances, helping with my rent would be enough.

Yes the weather has been particularly nice the last few days, nice to still be allowed to get out on my bike, unlike some other countries who have more strict rules. A bit of light trimming to your hedge wouldn't hurt though if no signs of birds nesting etc...

It is something I would consider doing, once I've been isolated for two weeks I might do then.

I really shouldn't have come back to this forum as I've been staying away for a while now to save money!

COVID19 is going to get expensive , trouble is people at home = extra surf time=extra things found to buy= empty wallet!

I have spent a small fortune on bits of tools for home. But money saved long term. I wanted to do the drive and so glad I did not take all the flags up. I would have been stuck now for stuff to finish. Oh well, what doesn’t get done today, can get done tomorrow and so on. Safety and health first.

Not seen news in last few hours(Madison took over tv watching riverdale for the 10th time!). But something is coming today, be it cash handouts .
    MOTs suspended for 6 months from end of March. (US guys that’s our annual car inspection for safety /emissions).

I nipped to Tesco for some coffee and bits. Now it’s one in at a time, 2m gaps. The queue was very long.......with 15 people! But a chat, all civilised , just get on with it. Not too much complaining, more a sense of humour . I think this should have been done a month back before more spread. What ever the numbers, x by 10 for a more realistic amount.

I am still awaiting my 219b Malkoff m61, so it’s helped me not spend any on lights right now. Been using my md2 with OR 219b mule around house. Good job really with all the extra expense I have suffered. Touch wood!!!! The car is running sweet, so I guess that’s one thing. Not needed to use the booster pack and the battery I bought is stored away. So if it does fail, I am good to swap out on the fly!!!!

Stay safe, stay positive and enjoy our extra family time who are with us. Phone/video call the ones who are not. In these trying times, our mental health is very important. CPF is in there to, like minded awesome folk all in one place. Checking in, reading up and saying We all have a lot in common, obviously our flashlight passion , but this nasty virus. Together we are stronger, even if we are not physically together!

Realized today that I've gone no further than ~200m from my house in more than 5 days - something I've pretty much never done before.

The 4 walls of the home office seem to be pressing in a little bit lately. I've finally been motivated to tidy up in here - might even decorate for the first time ever. This weekend I might even make a big push to make the garage inhabitable by two vehicles simultaneously.

The other day I watched a new-to-the-neighborhood-ish young family a couple houses over seemingly practice walking on the sidewalk ... without ever leaving their domicile's extended footprint.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

My county has the first 2 Covid19 cases. Guess it was just a matter of time before the virus made it's way up into my neck of the woods

Meanwhile, in SoCal Spring break students completely irresponsible are having a ball at the beaches, and waiting for their student loans to be absolved by US Congress. Whoopee.. So what else would yah expect!

Hey Ven, speaking of autos.. Have you experience with doing brake jobs? I am replacing front disc pads. I have done a few in the past. This time I'm thinking of using EBC brand, British company. The pad material is arimid fiber used in ballistics mixed with ground up cow hooves pressed into a composite. Good stopping power without damage to rotors like the semi metallic pads, or ceramic also can be hard on brake rotors..

Stay healthy!

Ground up cow hooves in brake pads? Wow. I learned something today!

I want to do my bit, just have to wait a week
    No hurry, you are. Thx on behalf of your countrymen.

Can't remember a time in history when ordinary people could be 'heroes' & save lives by being a couch potato... (also see post #369)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Ground up cow hooves in brake pads? Wow. I learned something today!
    EBC calls them "Green" pads.. Cost about three times OEM replacements, available at parts stores. I want to preserve my GM rotors as long as possible. They've become obsolete. Only replacements are made overseas, and I don't like the looks. Steel quality appears like cast from bailing wire

Ven goes far beyond most people. I would be proud to have him as my neighbor and call him my friend!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 03-26-2020 at 11:40 AM.

EBC calls them "Green" pads.. Cost about three times OEM replacements, available at parts stores. I want to preserve my GM rotors as long as possible. They've become obsolete. Only replacements are made overseas, and I don't like the looks. Steel quality appears like cast from bailing wire

Ven goes far beyond most people. I would be proud to have him as my neighbor and call him my friend!

Can't get rotors at junkyard?

And cow hooves? That's GOT to have an 'odor' when they get hot.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic*

Everytime I'm at pick'n pull I carry my calipers to check thicknesses, however, most rotors are toasted

Yep, new Green pads smell exactly like the hooves sold at feed stores for k9 chewies lol

My county has the first 2 Covid19 cases. Guess it was just a matter of time before the virus made it's way up into my neck of the woods

Meanwhile, in SoCal Spring break students completely irresponsible are having a ball at the beaches, and waiting for their student loans to be absolved by US Congress. Whoopee.. So what else would yah expect!

Hey Ven, speaking of autos.. Have you experience with doing brake jobs? I am replacing front disc pads. I have done a few in the past. This time I'm thinking of using EBC brand, British company. The pad material is arimid fiber used in ballistics mixed with ground up cow hooves pressed into a composite. Good stopping power without damage to rotors like the semi metallic pads, or ceramic also can be hard on brake rotors..

Stay healthy!
    Honestly just get OE spec. they will be fine. Green stuff is OK, of course red is too harsh without replacing the discs(or rotors your side). Trouble some times with more aggressive pads, as you say, can wear the discs quicker. Or end up needing some heat to start working better. Also some can create more dust(more cleaning) more noise! .

So i just use good OE spec pads, usually not much money to. If you need any help shipping from UK give me a shout, not too sure how easy it would be at present though. But when it passes, you know where i am, if you need anything sourcing uK side.

Stay safe to brother, with only 2 cases(known, probably 100 or so minimum), now is the time to act. Not waiting for the guv or a politician to tell you. Keep distances, keep in more than out, bar fresh air walks away from crowds. Have a plan for shopping, as it will become a PITA. Its 1 in at a time in super markets. So imagine say costco right now. Imagine 1 in every 30 seconds, with a 2 metre gap between people(only allowing 1 person per family). That might not happen, but just in case it does, have a plan, be it times to go when quieter etc etc. Just an example of whats happening here.
    Pro active wins against reactive!

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Realized today that I've gone no further than ~200m from my house in more than 5 days - something I've pretty much never done before.

The 4 walls of the home office seem to be pressing in a little bit lately. I've finally been motivated to tidy up in here - might even decorate for the first time ever. This weekend I might even make a big push to make the garage inhabitable by two vehicles simultaneously.

The other day I watched a new-to-the-neighborhood-ish young family a couple houses over seemingly practice walking on the sidewalk ... without ever leaving their domicile's extended footprint.

Do it! with all this misery around us, turn it around to your advantage. Get those jobs done and out of the way. Helps keep your mind occupied as well, can only be a good thing imho. But i am not a fan of decorating, hate it in fact. But once done, look back, it makes it all worth while. Service the car, maybe do the garden, that job here, that job there. I am trying to get something done each day, even if a little job. Its still one off the ever growing list

Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    No hurry, you are. Thx on behalf of your countrymen.

Can't remember a time in history when ordinary people could be 'heroes' & save lives by being a couch potato... (also see post #369)
    I have done a few little bits here and there but need to do more. Once my quarantine is over(cant exactly sign up and do runs /jobs for NHS when getting paid leave due to my little one having symptoms). I will see what i can do, heck even if it is just one shop, one prescription run a week, it all helps. If everyone just did 1 job a week, no one would be stuck!. Every little helps

We've used KBG pads on our Preludes Gary. They're big with the Japanese sports car crowd. Yellow and red are pretty popular. My tool cart has some EBC stickers on it.
    Red are ceramic if I recall correct. Less dust, less prone to heat build up.
    Yellow were reccomended for heavy use like swirving down a country road faster than you should. We uses the yellow ones.
    Cow hooves? First I'd heard of that. Maybe in the "green" model? Those (I think) are SUV and truck brake pads.

The load is starting to get heavy on those of us still working as corparate changes by bored folks working from home come up with more bright ideas to increase efficiency (which like Communism is a great idea on paper but not so great when you factor in human tendencies) so we try to keep up with normal duties as we fall a little farther behind each day. It's like driving a snow plow when it keeps snowing massive amounts day after day. You just get weery after a while.
    Everybody has gone "e" everything and they expect to working folks to do their normal job with the addition of electronic communications constantly bombarding all day (and now all into the evening too). Hard to keep things in perspective as more and more folks I usually laugh and joke with are taxed to brittle too.

It's nice to be living fairly normal right now but my gosh if these idiots at corparate don't stop the constant barage of information citing new policies and procedures there's going to be a mass exodus soon. I'm starting to hear more and more folks saying they too want to work from home too but the roads need fixing so commerce can keep store shelves full. I get calls from young folks whose hours are cut and older folks who can't understand all of this "e" crap being thrown in their lap. Fill out this form. No wait, not that way we changed our minds. Why aren't those forms filled out and on the server yet. Well how about I get the kid you laid off to do it? Oh no we can't afford to keep him around right now. My favorite phrase lately has been "probably not going to happen this week boss man." Or "relax, they'll change it tomorrow so you'll just have to do it again……the new way". Ugh!!

I can't imagine what it must be like for cops, firemen, doctors and nurses right now. The camels backs are pretty loaded here lately. I called my doctors office today just to thank them for showing up. They were like "uh, yer welcome?" lol because they too are inundated with cold and flu patients afraid that they'll be the latest statistic on the ever rising death clock.

Meanwhile train after train goes wizzing by my house each day so at least that normalcy continues.

Edit: just saw this at fakebook. Made my eyes water with man tears.

End edit.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-26-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    John 3:16

Whenever someone sneezes at our house, the person standing the nearest to them says - "Bless me. It's probably too late for you."
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    I count seven answer highlighted in white.
    Right, you'd think you need SEVEN measures to find the one heavier item out of eight using a scale.

But, using grouping, you can do it in maximum TWO!

You choose two groups of 3 items each and weigh them against each other.

If they are equal, you know the heavier item is in the remaining 2. So you just weigh them against each other, and find the heavier one. So only TWO weightings in this case.

If they are not equal, you take the group which is heavier. Remember, it has 3 items.

You choose two, and weigh them against each other. If they are equal, you know the last item is the heaviest.

If they are not, you just found the heaviest item. Again, only TWO weightings.

That's the point, by grouping you get big gains in efficiency.

This principle can be used to multiply the number of effective tests against the virus that can be carried out, much beyond the number of individual available tests.

The U.S. just passed China and Italy for most corona virus cases worldwide (if you can believe the numbers coming out of China). We're number one! (Doesn't that suck?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    The U.S. just passed China and Italy for most corona virus cases worldwide (if you can believe the numbers coming out of China). We're number one! (Doesn't that suck?)
    Means more people are being tested which is actually a good thing in a way.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    future generations looking back at this thread should do so with wonder and amazement.
    Oh, they will..

just saw this at fakebook. Made my eyes water with man tears.
    We're still shipping your orders, but the socially distant breaks/lunches are quite drab..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    This is REPORTED cases, two issues with these numbers:
    1. China may not want (for political reasons) to report accurate numbers.
    2. Poor and underdeveloped countries as well as isolated areas of any country will not have as many reported cases, as people will not be tested, they will just "be sick".

[QUOTE=StarHalo;5376210]Oh, they will..

We're still shipping your orders, but the socially distant breaks/lunches are quite drab..

Exactly the same as my place of work, 1 per table, even all sitting the same way(no one facing each other). Distancing is important, we will get through this.

Agree mr fixer, the health service(police and fire) are the real heroes no question. Last night in the UK at 8pm time, everyone went out front to the door , clapped and cheered country wide for the NHS(and other health care workers). Pretty amazing is an understatement. To show gratitude and thanks for everything they do(under funded, over worked and arguably under paid!). But they get on with it, save lives, heroes they sure are.

Yes US has over took in numbers, news here reports that NY will or is becoming the epicentre. What you believe and read on the news is another matter. Regarding passing China, well lets be honest, do we believe what we are being told! More people as mr bigburly said being tested will be one part of the equation.

Distancing and staying in is the only way for now to prevent the spread. Being far more contagious than flu, mr ven goes out and passes it to 3 people, those 3 pass is to another 3(9) those 9 another 3(27). It does not take long to get to 1000's, then 10,000's and so on. The problem, mr ven does not know he has it til its too late. So mr ven stays at home, mr ven keeps distance when he goes shopping. Mr ven washes his hands before touching face( vape). Hopefully mr ven will do his bit to save lives.

Stay safe CPF family.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
    This is REPORTED cases, two issues with these numbers:
    1. China may not want (for political reasons) to report accurate numbers.
    2. Poor and underdeveloped countries as well as isolated areas of any country will not have as many reported cases, as people will not be tested, they will just "be sick".
    There's just 1 relevant number: deaths. More importantly: # of deaths per million inhabitants. This number reflects the social impact.

It lags several weeks behind new infections (people are quick to be infected, but may take a long time to die). It may swing up or down each day. But ultimately, deaths is what counts. If a country has many people in hospital or ICU, but has enough of those ICU beds & manages to keep patients alive, it's doing well. Likewise if there's many deaths, you can't cover that up. Mass graves can be seen from space (see eg.: Iran), 100k+ people disappearing from their social circles would NOT go unnoticed no matter what country. Economic or political fallout will centre around families that lost loved ones. Not families that had some members in hospital for 3..4 weeks which then recovered & went back to work.

(New) infections is useful to make predictions about where that "deaths" number may be several weeks from now. And how many hospital beds / respirators / personnel will be needed. But it's the deaths # that matters. Note that many deaths might have occurred anyway - the Coronavirus is just quicker to push patients over the edge & have their death attributed to the virus rather than other causes.
    Last edited by RetroTechie; 03-27-2020 at 01:08 AM.

New York state cases has passed Iran and is gaining on Germany. Yeah, it's by far the epicenter.

For those watching the US death clock keep your eyes on Louisianna. For the world clock Iran is still the one leading the pack.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-27-2020 at 05:07 AM.
    John 3:16

For the world clock Iran is still the one leading the pack.
    What are the figures for Iran to put them as leading the pack? Italy has 80,000+ cases with 8200+ deaths and Spain has 64,000+ cases with 4850+ deaths. The only figures that I can find for Iran show 32,000+ cases with 2378 deaths.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast