YOUR FAVORITE INTERNET RADIO STATION/PROGRAM

harro

Enlightened
After six weeks of hospitalization and radiation therapy and cleanup surgery for cancer, myself and my wife had become used to the radio stations of Melbourne, Victoria, Aus. Problem is when we got home, the stations we enjoyed, weren't available, 185kms to the North of Vics capital city. They were however available as ' Internet Stations '. It was more noticible to my wife, as she took on the role of carer for me, So, I bit the bullet and bought her a Sangean WFM28C Internet/DAB+/FM radio. And with unlimited download, she can listen as much as she likes.

A link to a pic of the model of Sangean Radio I bought her. Note, I don't endorse this, or any other company selling this product. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sangean-wfr-28cwh-internet-radio-dab-network-music-player

So, the question is, what is your favorite I/R station and/or program ( optional )?

Mine would be ' GOLD104.3 ', and the Christian O'Connell morning show.

scout24

Flashaholic
Harro- I've nothing to contribute except wishes for a speedy recovery and clean bill of health going forward. Hang in there!

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Check out Radio Garden. This site lets you log in radios from around the world. You'll hear music you never heard before and rock.

I checked out Bangkok Thailand radio and there was a rocking song on it that really rocked. I don't understand their language but the singing and the instruments blew me away. The Russian radios has some good stuff too.

Check it out and listen around the world. :cool:

harro

Enlightened
Whoops, I apologise for posting this in the wrong section. Thanks Scout24 for the wishes ( latest pathology Fri last week, 'Excision complete, NED{no evidence of disease}', here's hoping:wave: ).
Hahaha, after a bit of searching, I see there are 25,000+ I/R sites, worldwide.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I often use internet radio to listen to the kind of genuine radio that you don't usually find on the actual radio anymore:

Wednesdays 6PM PST, KEXP Seattle, The Roadhouse, rock and americana presented live by a DJ playing his collection
Saturdays 2PM PST, KPFK Los Angeles, Rhapsody in Black, doo wop/50's classics presented live by a DJ playing his collection
Sundays 9AM PST, KEXP Seattle, Preachin' the Blues, blues presented live by a DJ playing his collection

If you weren't already aware, you don't actually need an internet radio unit to listen to internet radio; whatever device you're reading this on can load the various station sites and play back through whatever speakers it has, or preferably through a Bluetooth speaker; I prefer this method of radio listening over using an actual radio because it removes all reception issues and I can choose what kind/size of speaker I want to play it on (I have large stereo speakers for the living room which are great for family listening, but if I'm out in the yard listening to a ballgame, I'll just play it through my phone's speaker, etc.) Plus you can also access any archives or podcasts available this way - the KEXP shows above are archived free on their site, you can listen whenever you want.

If you want to listen to music, I would strongly recommend looking into a $12 AUD/mo subscription to Spotify; it's basically like having the keys to the record store - unlimited access to a library of over 35 million albums, just search whatever you want, listen to anything anytime indefinitely..

harro

Enlightened
The era of technology. To me, it's amazing to think I can sit and listen to someone, or music, originating from anywhere on this globe of ours. I do subscribe to ' Deezer ' and their Hifi stream, 1,411 kbp/s and full cd quality. She who must be obeyed, and the son are both Spotify subs.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I do subscribe to ' Deezer ' and their Hifi stream, 1,411 kbp/s and full cd quality. She who must be obeyed, and the son are both Spotify subs.

Yeah, once you have a music streaming service, that basically eliminates the need for using the radio for nonstop music (which it's terrible at) and moves it into the realm of seeking new music (which it can be good at.) Spotify's personalized Daily Mix, Discover Weekly, and Release Radar playlists are stellar for both at the same time.

' GOLD104.3 ', and the Christian O'Connell morning show.

That assorted-modern-pop music format sounds like Jack 93.1 FM Los Angeles, a station that doesn't have DJs but still has commercials.

The morning comedy show of California legend is Frosty Heidi & Frank found on KLOS 95.5 FM Los Angeles; they were originally on LA's last "hot talk"/all-comedy station that went away over a decade ago, but have remained on-air since out of sheer popularity.

harro

Enlightened
That assorted-modern-pop music format sounds like Jack 93.1 FM Los Angeles, a station that doesn't have DJs but still has commercials.

The morning comedy show of California legend is Frosty Heidi & Frank found on KLOS 95.5 FM Los Angeles; they were originally on LA's last "hot talk"/all-comedy station that went away over a decade ago, but have remained on-air since out of sheer popularity.

Hahaha, it is a bit that way, one big ad broken by occasional bursts of music. I have been looking at Radio Garden, woooow. I guess I don't mind listening to 104.3 as it is a sort of boundary between home and hospital. Home would fade out after 90-100kms of driving, and 104.3 would start to receive. Now, with hospital behind me, it is a bit of a reminder thing, of low times and high's.

:):)

Last edited: