Klarus        

Thread: No more Mags at my local Home Depot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Down the street from Cree HQ in Durham, NC

Default No more Mags at my local Home Depot

I was really surprised to find that my local Home Depot has sold out of Mags and won't be getting any more in. Looks like they have been replaced with loads of cheaper/higher profit margin lights.

Default Re: No more Mags at my local Home Depot

The HDs by me sold out of all of their Mags and Rayovac Indestructibles and replaced with a bunch of cr@p defiant/husky/coast/Milwaukee junk – a lot of it priced about as much (or more) than what Maglites sold for. Mag can still be ordered site to store but it sucks that you can’t walk into the local home depot and buy a decent flashlight.

Walmart seems to be closing out a lot of their Mags as well.

Without knowing what really happened I speculate Maglite has seen sales drop enough to not re-enter into contracts with the big box stores. Perhaps big box stores have not invited Maglite back due to slumping sales too. But at my local Wally World, big orange store and Lowes flashlights in general collect dust these days. Bushnell, Rayovac, Coast no longer fly off the shelves either.

It does make me wonder why they liquidated Rayovacs and Maglites but not Ozark Trails and Coasts.

The LED flashlight craze has likely peeked across America and everybody who wants one has one. But I do miss having the opportunity to snag yet another triple a minimag each time I go to buy nails or paint.
    John 3:16

They have got to be making higher profits on stuff like coasts - looks good on the outside but cheaply made. Store brands like ozark, defiant and husky I would guess have even higher mark ups.

Seem like many people just use their phones or get one of those atomic Navy SEAL lights. If they buy from a big box store, they probably look for something cheap that (supposedly) has the highest lumens.

Maglite has done a great job keeping prices down, build quality up while still making Mags in the USA, but it must be getting harder for them to compete for the shrinking flashlight self space in big box stores.

Flashaholic

Even as a hardcore incandescent guy, I continually scratch my head at the fact that Maglite still sells several incandescent lights. And scratch my head even further wondering why people still buy them, considering there are floods of tiny LED lights that are 5 times brighter and run 10 times longer, for the same money, or less in most cases right there on the same shelf.

I of course do not have any evidence of this but it’s POSSIBLE that Maglite increased its profit margin at Walmart’s expense OR would not adjust their profit margins and Walmart might have decided to go with manufacuturers whose lights customers will buy while maintaining the same profit margin.

Maglite needs to rethink its decision unless Walmart was quite unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Without knowing what really happened I speculate Maglite has seen sales drop enough to not re-enter into contracts with the big box stores. Perhaps big box stores have not invited Maglite back due to slumping sales too. But at my local Wally World, big orange store and Lowes flashlights in general collect dust these days. Bushnell, Rayovac, Coast no longer fly off the shelves either.

It does make me wonder why they liquidated Rayovacs and Maglites but not Ozark Trails and Coasts.

The LED flashlight craze has likely peeked across America and everybody who wants one has one. But I do miss having the opportunity to snag yet another triple a minimag each time I go to buy nails or paint.
    Regarding Ozark trails,
    First of all it is a Walmart brand, probably made to their specs, and as cheaply as possible (leading to better profit margins).
    I took one of their 3D cell lanterns apart. It was direct drive with two different resistors, switch selectable, to give a high and a low. Certainly cheaper than an actual driver. Also, IIRC, nothing was screwed together, but rather the metal backing plate for the LED had little holes in it, and was laid over a few, molded in, plastic posts, that were melted to secure it in place, probably by a robot. The other components were glued together. one would have to break it to get it apart. So it is not serviceable. It wasn't poorly made, but certainly not maglite quality.

Years ago when shopping for a BBQ grill, I discovered that a home and garden center carried a particular brand of grill, with stainless steel cooking surface grill. The HD had the same model grill at a lower price, but it had a non-coated cast iron cooking surface grill. I wanted stainless, and I paid a bit more at the garden center. There the man told me that the cast grills were custom made for the HD so that they could come in at the price point that HD wanted. That Garden center closed its doors three years ago.

Yeah... the big box stores are putting the little shops, and not so little shops, out of business.
    Last edited by Poppy; 02-15-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Once WallMart buckeled and stopped selling pistol ammo and 5.56 i have not set foot in one. Don’t care what they sell for flashlights since they gave in to the bloomberg crowd.
    They are going after a new type of customer these days.

Not a Maglite to be had in person anywhere in my area, none at HD, Tractor Supply, or Walmart. LED or incan...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Our department still uses rechargeable mags.

But my local Walmart seems to still be stocking up on their maglites , all four my nearest Walmart’s actually.

Haven’t checked Home Depot yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ..nothing changes nothing...

I think so far, it's only the HD's on the East coast that have cleared out all Mags. Walmart seem to have cleared out some on a store by store basis.

Subscribed. Every time I see this thread it reminds me that I quite need to get two or three more incan D Mags for mods before they're either too hard to get, too expensive, or both.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

I popped in an HD near my work hoping to catch some clearance Mags and low n behold the shelves were stocked with a slew of Maglite products and 350 lumen Rayovac Indestructables. No Energizer hard cases though but hey 2 outta 3 aint bad.

I snagged the last Solitaire, a blue aaa minimag and a pair of 1x aaa Husky lights with a clicky. It is like a mini me indestructable morphed with a microstream.

I skipped the Rayovacs because out of 9 try me packages only 3 worked. Was that due to depleted alkalines or bad switches? Won't taking the chance.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I popped in an HD near my work hoping to catch some clearance Mags and low n behold the shelves were stocked with a slew of Maglite products and 350 lumen Rayovac Indestructables. No Energizer hard cases though but hey 2 outta 3 aint bad.

I snagged the last Solitaire, a blue aaa minimag and a pair of 1x aaa Husky lights with a clicky. It is like a mini me indestructable morphed with a microstream.

I skipped the Rayovacs because out of 9 try me packages only 3 worked. Was that due to depleted alkalines or bad switches? Won't taking the chance.
    That's great! I hope that's a sign that Mags may be returning to my local HD's at some point.

I’ll be in town tomorrow, I’ll swing in and see what ours have .

Lowe’s and HD are right next to each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ..nothing changes nothing...