How does DLC hold up?

nitebrite

Enlightened
So I got a decent all DLC knife to use hard. It is a Marfione. My only experience with PVD is like Fossil watches, wears off. Should this knife stand up to rugged usage or is it going to look pretty bad right away? If the latter I might just EDC something else after all. I really like this, just what I wanted and I saved for it but I do not want a mottled mess. Please let me know what I can expect? I know this has been discussed but I would gather Marfione in particular might be more robust than others? Or is it all the same. If it is going to fade/peel like a $35 Fossil watch I cannot bring myself to EDC this beauty. SEE, to me EDC means very rough use. Mind you, not abuse. No twisting, prying ETC. of course. What can I expect? Should I go use the heck out of it or not? I know about "character" but it is a far cry from "destroyed" Thank you

nbp

Flashaholic
I doubt you will "destroy" DLC it's pretty tough. That said, tools are most fun when they are used and some usage marks just add to their character and beauty. I'd use it!

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't know about this particular item, but ...

• "real" DLC is extremely tough

all coatings can and will scratch

• proper preparation and quality of application is very important for durability

• deformation of substrate may often cause more coating loss than "scratching" does (and of course this varies depending on material)

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thank you again! That is what I figured anyone would say. Some marks is fine with me. I just do not want it to look like that $35 watch after a year. I doubt it will. I mean that watch was pretty much devoid of DLC. I do not think that happens with good DLC. Some marks is indeed cool. I agree. It shows it was not a safe queen. I just do not want it to look like it had measles. I am guessing that won't happen though. I think you confirmed my question. I trust you because you are a Moderator. I actually got it in West Allis! If you know where I am talking about once in a while he has a great knife. I got 4 Sebenzas there. All used but mint condition.

nbp

Flashaholic
Are you located in Wisconsin or did you order the blades from a shop there online? I'm about 30 minutes away from West Allis actually. Haha. Small world. If there's a good knife shop there I haven't been to then I probably should make a trip over there.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I am all the way up by Stevens point. About Pop. 300 in whole county LOL. He rarely has knives but will trade for guns. So it is going to be a good knife. I check every once in a while. If he has something I really want I make the drive. It is called "Shooters Shop".
If you see in WTS where I said I was "from" Illinois I meant I grew up there 55 years ago. It is funny how that changed and rural WI never did.

Edit" yes, watch was PVD or something not DLC. I thought they are the same?

glideher

Newly Enlightened
I doubt you will "destroy" DLC it's pretty tough. That said, tools are most fun when they are used and some usage marks just add to their character and beauty. I'd use it!

i agree, i think as a knife collector as im sure we all are or were at one point, i think many years of collecting and actually not using the knife, it sort of defeats the purpose of having the knife in the first place.
we dont live forever so i say enjoy the knife and mark it up. Unless you plan on selling it as an investment in teh future, which i still dont see a point in that.