Portable ravpower solar panel questions

cpforum

Newly Enlightened
Hi! Is there a something like a capacitor that can be placed between the panel and the item being charged to minimize disruption by cloud cover?

Or is there a charger that can charge devices while being charged(18650?)?

Ravpower solar panel outputs 5V 1A>????>(device being charged)

filibuster

Enlightened
Capacitor? No! Power bank with pass through charging? YES!

I've used a USB power bank that has pass through charging functionality to do exactly what you are asking. I plug the solar panel into the power bank's input to charge it and then plug the device I want uninterrupted power available into the output of the power bank. The solar panel runs both devices topping off the power bank and then letting the power pass-through to the other device when it's sunny but if a cloud or shadow interrupts the sun, the power bank kicks in to power the device on it's own with no loss or disruption.

Not all power banks do this and some that say they do will give you issues during the change over so it took a few purchases before I found one that worked like I wanted. I'd point you to it but it's been about 8 years or more since I made the purchase and the item is no longer available online that I can find. It was a Blitzwolf power bank that did QC 2 back then. Some power bank manufacturers won't use pass-through charging as it is hard on battery's longevity or so they say.

One that you might look at is the EasyAcc 20000mAH with dual 2A input ports and pass through charging. It doesn't hurt to have both ports plugged into your solar panel to take advantage of as much power as you can collect from your solar panel while it's in the sun charging otherwise you limit your charging input to something under 10 watts. (5v at 1.5-2 Amps)

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
It's not a perfect fit, but you might want to know about the Nitecore F1 and F2 chargers. These are 18650 chargers that'll double as power banks. They don't quite support charging both device and battery at the same time, but you can connect them so that they'll charge device first, and then battery, which may or may not be good enough.

If the Panel is 1A @ 5V, then it's how I'd personally want it to work, as charging both at the same time would be prohibitively slow anyway.

Xtar has a pair of power banks supporting either dual 18650 or dual 18650/21700, with magnetic covers, which might be better or worse depending on what you want.

Disclaimer: everything typed from memory, so if you're making a purchase information off of any of this, double check me please. :)

Solar panels are the best that you can think of for the convenience and comfortable life of a person. Wherever you are, part of the energy is always at hand. Folding, portable, portable solar panels are the most convenient to use and transport. I use AIPER portable solar panel. It is a reliable manufacturer of portable solar panels that uses a high-quality single-crystal solar panel and has a higher photovoltaic conversion coefficient than other solar panels. If you yourself also want such a cool thing as a portable solar panel, then see (*link removed) for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A better solution that doesn't require any issues with pass through on power banks is simple.... 2 powerbanks. You use one to charge your devices from and the other one to be charged by the solar panel. If you find that you have a lot of charging power available you could use large power banks or if you wanted to reduce size and load 2 smaller ones. Pesonally I like the 2x18650 size for small and 4x18650 side by side for medium and 20,000mah power banks 3x2 18650 power banks. You could also use 3 smaller ones. If you get power banks with built in LED lights they could double duty I have several that have 5mm LED lights in them I tail stand for area lighting they take very little power and just enough light to be useful without much extra space.