NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SBT90 G2 LED - The 2020 Thrower LED

Default Re: SBT90 G2 LED - The 2020 Thrower LED

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    What about the Acebeam T27? Big reflector, single 21700 cell, might be a killer combination! Can't wait for my G25C2vn90!!!!!
    Yeah I am going to build a T27vn90. This is a nice popular host.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

T27
    Dimesions:
    Length: 174.7mm (6.88")
    Head Diameter: 70mm (2.76")
    Body Diameter: 25.4mm (1")
    Weight: 229.5g (8.10oz)

T28
    Dimesions:
    Length: 198mm (7.80")
    Head Diameter: 83mm (3.27")
    Weight: 357g (12.59oz without battery)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

T27
    Dimesions:
    Length: 174.7mm (6.88")
    Head Diameter: 70mm (2.76")
    Weight: 229.5g (8.10oz)

T28
    Dimesions:
    Length: 198mm (7.80")
    Head Diameter: 83mm (3.27")
    Weight: 357g (12.59oz without battery)
    Once a light is bigger than pocket size, these small differences don't make much of a difference to me. Taking a walk with my ROT66 vs my X45vn is really no different for me. I always say go a little bigger for the increase in performance and heat management that typically goes along with the bigger host.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDissent View Post
    Once a light is bigger than pocket size, these small differences don't make much of a difference to me. Taking a walk with my ROT66 vs my X45vn is really no different for me. I always say go a little bigger for the increase in performance and heat management that typically goes along with the bigger host.
    You are a big guy arent you?! haha
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

You are a big guy arent you?! haha
    260lbs with XL hands I even take walks with my MS18 and R90TS occasionally, but those can get a little annoying on longer walks. I want independent fan control for those Imalents!

Speaking of big lights... What are the limiting factors in using the SBT90.2 with multi emitter lights? How many SBT90.2 could theoretically by used in a large handheld light?

Never been more thrilled to see the specs of ANY light before now... BEHOLD... THE X65vn90 Mini.... oh my gosh that would be INSANE. If the price is under $400 I donít know how any other large sized light can stand itís ground! FOUR SBT90G2s? Wow.

I have to agree with AmericanDissent, Once a light is bigger than pocket size, these small differences don't make much of a difference to me. Taking a walk with my ROT66 vs my X45vn is really no different for me. I always say go a little bigger for the increase in performance and heat management that typically goes along with the bigger host.

Im not a big guy, but if I canít pocket it, then one hand carry is one hand carry. .
    Last edited by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen; 02-18-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Why not all 5 leds? If only 4 sbt90, then I would rather have the tn40svn 90 heheh
    i have both, and the tn40svn is more comfortable in the hand and does not have flower petals like the x65vn does.

I think only suitable host for multiple SBT90.2s is the GT4.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Never been more thrilled to see the specs of ANY light before now... BEHOLD... THE X65vn90 Mini.... oh my gosh that would be INSANE. If the price is under $400 I donít know how any other large sized light can stand itís ground! FOUR SBT90G2s? Wow.

I have to agree with AmericanDissent, Once a light is bigger than pocket size, these small differences don't make much of a difference to me. Taking a walk with my ROT66 vs my X45vn is really no different for me. I always say go a little bigger for the increase in performance and heat management that typically goes along with the bigger host.

Im not a big guy, but if I canít pocket it, then one hand carry is one hand carry. .
    LEDs alone is $200
    The host is $200 if you can get a discount

So yeah $400 is too low.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    Why not all 5 leds? If only 4 sbt90, then I would rather have the tn40svn 90 heheh
    i have both, and the tn40svn is more comfortable in the hand and does not have flower petals like the x65vn does.
    X65vn90 = 4 SBT90 + 1 XHP35 HI
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

X65vn90 = 4 SBT90 + 1 XHP35 HI
    This has to be the must-have next big thing. I have a pretty good guess of what the lumens are, the question is, how much throw?
    The mini version of the X 65 would be better for economy, but I think that the original X 65 head would be better for heat sinking and heat dissipation.

I know that it's somewhat subjective depending on what exactly we're talking about but I definitely haven't had the experience, that everything larger than pocket size, doesn't make much difference. In at lease one aspect, we know that this doesn't even hold true when placing a flashlight on a shelf that it doesn't fit on. I can't head stand a X65 on the same shelf that I head stand a CatV6, as an obvious example. There's also a noticeable difference in weight and how a T27 carries in my backpack even when compared to a shorter but heavier light like the K30GT. Then of course there's a massive difference between packing a T27 or K30GT in a backpack as opposed to a TN42. One time I intended to take a TN42vn (back when it was the throw king) on a hike and then shine it toward a friends house where he was having a get together and BBQ. I physically couldn't fit the TN42vn in my 15L hydration pack along with my other gear. I took a TN42UT instead which barely allowed the pack to zip up. I've only been talking about how size and weight relate to pack carry but when you hold something in your hand for an extended time, I think the effects are more prominent. Although the TN42 wouldn't be my first pick for a walk in the mountains, a SR90, RC40, or BLF GT would be downright silly to hand carry. The fatter the diameter and the heavier the light, to more rapid the onset of fatigue. Lights with overhead handles do mitigate some of these effects some but weight is weight especially if you're maneuvering for balance or doing anything but walking on straight and level ground. I'm looking at an array of 75 or so lights in my office and I'd hate to hand carry a large portion of them on a local hike that I do on a weekly basis. I mean, I could physically do it, but I'd only undertake it for the challenge of being able to say that I did, or money...haha. So yeah, like every other object in life that happens to be transported "by hand" or by foot if you wish, size, weight and form will become a factor depending on how long it's carried and the activity that's being carried out. Even on my neighborhood night walks, I'd rather carry a medium light that doesn't fit in my pocket, if the other option is to carry a large light that doesn't fit in my pocket. Perhaps these thoughts surface for me because of the types of activities that I do but I suspect these are real considerations for most people, generally speaking.

260lbs with XL hands I even take walks with my MS18 and R90TS occasionally, but those can get a little annoying on longer walks. I want independent fan control for those Imalents!

Speaking of big lights... What are the limiting factors in using the SBT90.2 with multi emitter lights? How many SBT90.2 could theoretically by used in a large handheld light?
    Each LED needs like 25A so if you got 4 LED its takes 100A to drive them right!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Each LED needs like 25A so if you got 4 LED its takes 100A to drive them right!
    So.... We can run 8 21700's and drive 8 SBT90.2's?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Yes, I inquired about the T27 with Vinh last week. Said it's doable but expensive. If he can keep the tail switch functional, I'd probably do it.

Is this the light you have coming?

Yes, just received it (G25C2vn90) yesterday. BOY O BOY is this thing a hell of a flashlight! Tons of output, tons of throw, I think this is the most "flashy-lighty" flashlight I own. It can really do it all, it's surprisingly versatile and at the same time, maintains over 2500lm for at least a minute, which is a ton more than I expected.

I bet with the new G3X and 21700 cell this setup could be made even more stellar. A t27/ T28 acebeam may be on the shortlist however, 21700 and that size reflector should just be KILLER.

But the G25C2 is an amazing host for this LED, I think it's now one of my ultimate flashlights. ALSO the beam on this guy is just about perfect, I cannot fathom how anything could be more Fiat Lux than this one is. LOVE IT!!!!

THANKS VINH!!!!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I know that it's somewhat subjective depending on what exactly we're talking about but I definitely haven't had the experience, that everything larger than pocket size, doesn't make much difference. ........... I suspect these are real considerations for most people, generally speaking.
    Despite my earlier statement, I would definitely agree with what you're saying as well, and there are certainly size categories in my mind. The saying "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain" comes to mind. Sadly, my activities these days aren't the type that are strenuous or lengthy enough for my flashlight choice to matter much, so I usually pick something large and overpowered for the activity at hand.

Flashaholic

I can't wait for the SBT90 lineup at Skylumens to take shape. The X65vn mini sounds outrageous as do many others. For now I'm getting the K30GTvn and will add. I was just at the point of upgrading the "big lights" and this news couldn't come at a better time.

As always, great work Vinh!

Can't wait for the blf gt 90x8 mule...

Sadly, my activities these days aren't the type that are strenuous or lengthy enough for my flashlight choice to matter much, so I usually pick something large and overpowered for the activity at hand.
    Haha!! That's great. Kinda like the old... "when in doubt, throttle out!" The same can apply to flashlights!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    Yes, just received it (G25C2vn90) yesterday. BOY O BOY is this thing a hell of a flashlight! Tons of output, tons of throw, I think this is the most "flashy-lighty" flashlight I own. It can really do it all, it's surprisingly versatile and at the same time, maintains over 2500lm for at least a minute, which is a ton more than I expected.

I bet with the new G3X and 21700 cell this setup could be made even more stellar. A t27/ T28 acebeam may be on the shortlist however, 21700 and that size reflector should just be KILLER.

But the G25C2 is an amazing host for this LED, I think it's now one of my ultimate flashlights. ALSO the beam on this guy is just about perfect, I cannot fathom how anything could be more Fiat Lux than this one is. LOVE IT!!!!

THANKS VINH!!!!

That's really exciting dotCPF! I know that you've been eager and now you've got that thing in hand! I would agree that 2500L past a minute is pretty awesome! "One of my ultimate flashlights" says it all!

I sent the T27 to Vinh yesterday and he'll have it Friday. I've ordered a couple of Molicell P42A's in anticipation. I hope the T27 reflector plays well with this emitter but there's only one way to find out. I ordered specs and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 4500L and 550+Kcd.

Oh yea, we forgot about the noctigon k1. Itís almost like the t27vn and t28 but with a side switch instead. Itís also a cheaper host and should bring the cost down.

K1 Cant take SBT90. Deam Wont focus. At least not with out major reflector mod.

Ordered a ton of SBT90 but China is kind of shut down....Too many plans but no LEDs :-(
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 02-20-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

P60vn90 =
    ~ 3500L, 55Kcd, 469m
    Max Performance with Samsung 40T: 4300L, 70Kcd, 529m

P60vn90 DeLens =

What's your guess?
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Ah Damn it! I accidentally slipped my nails onto the bond wires and tore them off :-(
    There goes $40!
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 02-22-2020 at 01:04 AM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Ah Damn it! I accidentally slipped my nails onto the bond wires and tore them off :-(
    There goes $40!
    That stinks... sorry Vinh. It looks so fragile with the glass removed.

To the question, I will guess it takes the P60vn90 to 4700L & 80Kcd with 40T.

Are you trying another one, Vinh?

Are you trying another one, Vinh?
    Heck yah. 40 Bucks is a big deal but not able to see the result is even bigger! But I am all out of LEDs now. I ordered 70 SBT90 G2 so there will be no shortage when they arrive.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Any idea of the amps for those two levels;
    P60vn90 =
    ~ 3500L, 55Kcd, 469m
    Max Performance with Samsung 40T: 4300L, 70Kcd, 529m

Quote Originally Posted by texas cop View Post
    Any idea of the amps for those two levels; P60vn90 =~ 3500L, 55Kcd, 469m Max Performance with Samsung 40T: 4300L, 70Kcd, 529m
    Will need to whip out my clamp meter of I need readings for these SBTs
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Heck yah. 40 Bucks is a big deal but not able to see the result is even bigger! But I am all out of LEDs now. I ordered 70 SBT90 G2 so there will be no shortage when they arrive.

Well, thanks for taking the experimental hit for us. If the results from the other forums are accurate, it seems like it would be worth the reported gains. To my mind, a 5-10% increase is substantial when we get to V54 levels of performance.

Hopefully you'll get some more LEDs soon!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast