FW3A light

vic2367

Enlightened
had this light about 2 months now , and it really doesnt do it for me ,, the light only goes on after i turn the LED head about halfway off . thinking of getting rid of it , need a light that i can trust , that i know will turn on . i checked all the youtube videos , so im thinking it might be the switch .

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was flakey when I first got it and that trick helped me. It has been working well for me since. I have had to do that a few times since I had to remove the tail cap for various reasons, but it seems to do the trick!

daffy

Enlightened
I've got 3 of them never a problem with any, even the early production one i have.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I removed the tail cap not to fix that problem. The last time it was to mod the switch with a small o-ring to make it less likely to activate the light accidentally. The instructions in the light tell you to only remove the head of the light to replace the battery, which is the opposite of how most lights are designed. Since I have done this I have not removed the tail cap and have had no issues with it. Saying that, I do not think the build quality on this light is all it could be. I would use it for light duty purposes only.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the design of this light isn't very good. It might work great on paper, but in reality it's too difficult to manufacture with good quality. It's a fun light to play with, and I really like the warm tint option, but I wouldn't depend on it if you're taking it on a walk in a dark area. Definitely bring a reliable back-up.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have an a FW3A and FW3Tvn, both have been very reliable.

I get extremely annoyed with a light that doesn't work properly and will lose trust quickly if one misbehaves but I'm happy to report, no issues. The stock FW3A, has a place in my hiking pack. I wanted something super lightweight, a small footprint and decent throw to supplement my hiking headlamp. I recently got back from one of the most remote canyons in AZ and took this light with me. No cell phone coverage and not accessible by horseback for a 17 mile stretch. The only way out is by foot or winched up by helicopter. In any case the light has become a trusted companion.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three FW3As ( 6500K (EDC), 5000K, and 4000K) with no problems. I read up a bit before I got my first (Aluminum 4000K), and learned about the tail switch coming apart upon unscrewing from a video. So my tailcaps are virgin lol. I've been EDC'ng an FW3A since November 2019, so mine are gtg.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they're not all crap. If you get a good one, it can be fairly reliable. I wouldn't want to drop it much, though. IMO, Zebralights are far nicer lights, and even a little smaller.

I've had my FW3A since the first release, and it's been pretty reliable after a few minor tweaks I had to do originally, plus resoldering the tail spring due to a known safety issue. The issue with this light is that it's not one for newbies. Too many quality control issues. Also, it's useless for EDC, since the switch is far too easily activated in pocket, and I hate having to lock out lights.

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
After finally getting an FW3A about a month ago, it immediately became my EDC light. Mine has the updated tail switch with a retaining ring and the little nubbin that fits snugly in the rubber boot. Still easy to mod, but much more secure. The size and tapering body make it very comfortable to hold. The output and beam pattern with 5000K XP-Ls are just to my liking. Yes, the tail switch is sensitive, but that lockout is there for a purpose, like it or not. My only wish is that it came with a deep-carry clip.

I like this light so much, that it actually prevented me from buying other flashlights, with the thought that they're not as good, and I'd never use them. When was the last time you heard a flashaholic say that??

boo5ted

Enlightened
My only wish is that it came with a deep-carry clip.

Neal's has a deep carry clip available for the FWXX lights.

49185501633_b196a140bd.jpg

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
Neal's has a deep carry clip available for the FWXX lights.

Thanks! I was actually planning on ordering one from him when I placed another order, but forgot to. Now I either have to pay $5 for shipping on a $3.50 item, or buy $21.50 of other stuff to not have to pay shipping again... I might as well wait until I'm ordering other stuff, and live with my meager regular clip until then. Nobody else seems to sell them.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Yeah, unfortunately I've not seen them anywhere else. Would be nice if someone stateside had them.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a perfect EDC light. These reliability issues could be with tailcap / switch falling apart and reassembling. Don't mess with the tailcap. Mine doesn't light up in my pocket. I have it set at I would say just below 100 lumens (estimated). Sort of like my M61LLL 219B V3 in the G2 Nitrolon. Either 4 click lock out from off before pocketing, or unscrew the head a tad. I opt for the later. Not only do I carry it every day, I also use it every day walking the dog at the park. I can't beat this triple beam with anything else I've got. Haven't stepped on any land mines for months lol.

Last edited: