Want to read something scary?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
On january 13,2004 the NEO (Near Earth Object)telescope detected an asteroid with a likely collision course with earth to happen in the next 24 to 36 hours in the northern hemisphere!!!!

Fortunately it was a calculation error, but there were lots of heated debate over it at NASA, JPL and other astronomical comunities. How come the general population didn't get to know about it? If in the future another threat is detected should the people be alerted?

What do you think?

Read more about it!

http://128.102.38.40/impact/news_detail.cfm?ID=135

Alex

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing I'm short, wont have to duck as much as them tall guys!

OK, seriously this has been eclipsed by the most recent NEO which passed by Earth just a few days ago missing us by only 1/10 the distance from Earth to Moon.

Yes, I would want to be notified. I would like to have the opportunity to spend my final days in a manner "I" see fit. I think Tahiti would be nice laying in the sun eating tropical fruit fed to me by bare breasted maidens.

GregR

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Cosmic debris is one thing.
There are plenty of truly scary things already on this world.

Ive been to some of our chemical weapons demil sites. The Army protects them well. It's accident's that make me pale.

Nerve gas is simply not good for living things.

When I went to a VX site I got to learn that nerve gas ain't fun. Fortunatly at this place the VX comes out the like STP and only works when vaporized, not a simple process.

There are things that are transported in quantity every day. Amonia, chlorine, propane, any one of which can make a huge mess. Had a truck full of black powder over turn on a Washington DC highway. Fortunatly it diden't lite up.

There is a story in the gun community of a truck full of primers turning into shards and a crater when the load gang fired. Nothing bigger than a pack of cards was left.

There are places in West Virgnia that transports molten aluminum from one factory to another. Dump that into a forrest and stand back.

Back home on Long Island, we had a traffic accident on the Long Island Expresway that started with a car and a fuel tanker. When the burn was finished it took out a bridge too.

Go look up some super fund sites. Solvents in the water. Thorium in the soil. Radioactive compounds in wells. There is a story that in places near the Savanna river plant your told to roll up your car windows and pass through as quickly as possible because of lingering radiation.

It's nice to be aware of the solar system, but some things happening down the block will scare you silly.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq
And you have to wonder why people don't invite me to partys

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem Jack, you can party with me and my pals. Read my job description in profile, we can swap some horror stories.

GregR

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another site had calculated the possible size of the blast if it had impacted at about 8 Megatons! that's a lot of bang.

Jack, interesting stories, if you like to share some later on, I'm all ears.

Alex

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Well, if an NEO does hit, we'll all be back to the Ice Age. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif